Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Priority Reservations Current Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla states on the order page "Delivery timeframe will be based on reservation date, order date, delivery location and vehicle configuration." We don't know exactly the algorithm Tesla uses behind the scenes, but it seems existing owners no longer get priority. Some forum posts around the time of the initial dual motor Model 3 go-live confirm the change in policy, at least with respect to what the customer service reps have told people that called in to change their orders from RWD to AWD.

Last edited:
It’s pretty clear the main metric for priority is matching preferences with avaliable cars on a roughly first come first served basis.

Model 3s are not custom built to anyone’s specifications. Cars are built in batches and matched up.

There’s variations accounting for logistics but you might as well consult an 8 ball than ask any of us when you will get your car. I went from a July to August, to August to September to a hey your car arrived. Want it tomorrow? (In month of July)

End of Q3 and Q4 you can probably get a Model 3 the same hour if you are in Fremont. ;)

It doesn’t feel like it to me. I think owners got priority invite to configure. I waited for AWD and now am waiting for my P3D- . First hang up was waiting for white interior but now that those are being made and delivered east, I’m still waiting for my vin. So I didn’t get owner priority once the car with my options was being made.

Priority is first in, first out for the exact match configuration.

They do some tweaking at end of quarters to maximize deliveries so geography matters. They would rather deliver a car in Newark CA, then Newark NJ if there’s 2 days left at end of Q even if NJ confirmed first.