Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 problem already???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am super curious to hear what comes of this - on my first or second day of having the Model 3 I had some crazy high vibrations that felt like a flat tire while going ~60 on the highway. I didn't have any warning lights on, but started to change lanes so i could pull over and check things out when it stopped happening. Haven't had anything like it after 250+ miles since then.

At that moment i chalked it up to a potentially super crappy road surface, but reading this and thinking more about it i wonder if it's a similar issue...

I am super curious to hear what comes of this - on my first or second day of having the Model 3 I had some crazy high vibrations that felt like a flat tire while going ~60 on the highway. I didn't have any warning lights on, but started to change lanes so i could pull over and check things out when it stopped happening. Haven't had anything like it after 250+ miles since then.

At that moment i chalked it up to a potentially super crappy road surface, but reading this and thinking more about it i wonder if it's a similar issue...

Could it have been the lane departure warning?

Except that OP stated that upon reboot, everything was perfect again.

For the life of me, I can't comport the OP's assertion the car was violently shaking. It's not like there's an ICE under the hood...

Our inability to think of a reason doesn't mean it didn't happen. As Bonnie suggested earlier, we need to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Even though a reboot fixed it, the shaking is definitely something that needs to be looked at. I hope the OP reports back, so the rest of us can learn about possible issues that can cause this.

Agree! Something that happens once can happen again and violent shaking is potentially dangerous. I look forward to hearing what happens when he takes it in.

Agree! Something that happens once can happen again and violent shaking is potentially dangerous.
I really don't understand what "violent shaking" means. That is a subjective term and is interpreted differently depending on your personal filter. I don't find that description helpful. Now if you say, "the screen went black," that is objective and is easily understood.

I really don't understand what "violent shaking" means. That is a subjective term and is interpreted differently depending on your personal filter. I don't find that description helpful. Now if you say, "the screen went black," that is objective and is easily understood.

How about saying 0.7 IPS vibration in the vertical direction @ 23 Hz, would that be ok? I'm not sure what you would prefer him to say.

I would prefer something less violently subjective as I would prefer you be less violently sarcastic.

"Shaking violently" seems to me to be as good a description as you're likely to get without some sort of technical measuring equipment. I think most of us understand what "violent shaking" is. I had a Jeep that shook violently any time I hit a bad bump at more than 20 mph or so. It was something loose in the steering mechanism and was a serious problem. I could think of no other way to describe it than "shaking violently."

We'll find out what was wrong with qwerty's car if the hostility on this thread does not drive him away.

(I once joined a chat board and was immediately accused in harsh and nasty language of being someone they knew under a different name. The assault was so persistent and so nasty that I said f#¢x them and quit going back. I'm sure they were all very certain they had driven away their old enemy.)

"Shaking violently" seems to me to be as good a description as you're likely to get without some sort of technical measuring equipment. I think most of us understand what "violent shaking" is. I had a Jeep that shook violently any time I hit a bad bump at more than 20 mph or so. It was something loose in the steering mechanism and was a serious problem. I could think of no other way to describe it than "shaking violently."

We'll find out what was wrong with qwerty's car if the hostility on this thread does not drive him away.

(I once joined a chat board and was immediately accused in harsh and nasty language of being someone they knew under a different name. The assault was so persistent and so nasty that I said f#¢x them and quit going back. I'm sure they were all very certain they had driven away their old enemy.)
Or someone with more experience. But I agree 100% on prickly responses.

All we can do is speculate but any car with electronically controlled brakes, regenerative braking and a drive by wire steering system have the ability to "shake violently" due to inept computer control of the system.

If a wheel sensor is improperly detected as going too fast (detected as wheel spin) and the system decides to activate ABS (a wonderful old timey thing where it's going to just start applying the brake and pumping gobs of brake fluid to that unit) it could very well have the feeling of the car shaking as the wheel locks up.

Reactions: bonaire
All we can do is speculate but any car with electronically controlled brakes, regenerative braking and a drive by wire steering system have the ability to "shake violently" due to inept computer control of the system.

If a wheel sensor is improperly detected as going too fast (detected as wheel spin) and the system decides to activate ABS (a wonderful old timey thing where it's going to just start applying the brake and pumping gobs of brake fluid to that unit) it could very well have the feeling of the car shaking as the wheel locks up.

I think I'd use the word "faulty" rather than "inept." We know the computer in the Model 3 is not inept because in the vast majority of units it works just fine. But any given unit could be faulty.

In the RC world, with Li-ion use going back to about 2007, there was a period of motor/ESC systems experiencing "chudder" or acceleration chugging where some brands had issues with timing of controlling the motors. It comes down to knowing where in the 360 degree cycle the motor stator/rotor were positioned. His shaking could have been motor related if it was for a certain time then going away. A bent half shaft can offer shaking also but tends to not stop. Sounds a bit like drivetrain power electronics. If it was abs related, the driver could carfully touch the disk rotors after the effect to see if they got unevenly hot.

In the 2100 miles thus far I have experience nothing that I would Define as violent shaking. I did feel a little vibration along group of road surfaces where it felt like the tires were kind of moving all along I've experienced that with many other cars before. It was more sound than it was any noticeable movement of the steering wheel. It went away as soon as the road surface changed. Only violent shaking that I've ever experienced was with a Volvo station wagon where someone had tried to yank out the station wagon and accidentally attached to a suspension component. Now that was violent shaking.

Sdeveral decades ago, my '51 Chevy suffered a tire blow-out aon a freeway, with a subsequent swerve that caused impact on the curbed shoulder to the right , front wheel and tire. Got thescissors jack out, spare in place and off I went...until about 30 MPH, when I experienced "violent shaking," such that the vehicle was uncontrollable at that speed-the A frame had come loose..

The OP may have experienced such "violent shaking," but I had not thought of my episode in many, many years and I did immediately make that association. YMMV

Thank you very much

FURY

funny ... the first thought that came to my head after reading the OP's post was ... "WTF did the detailers do to my car?" ... thats just where my head went. Car was fine ... you dropped it off for 3 days ... come back and its a mess .... why wouldnt to immediately wonder if they had messed with your car ???