Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 production and deliveries remain on schedule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record? I'm pretty sure that 'on schedule' is synonymous with 'not late', 'not delayed', 'on time', and 'suck it, Naysayers!'

Agreed, but I generally don't sit in my garage for any length of time, and my garage doesn't get stuck in rush hour traffic on egg-frying capable asphalt. I guess I see the PowerWall, and more specifically the industrial PowerPack, as the right place to ramp production of the new battery cells, in advance of the M3 production ramp. Get all the kinks out of the production system there first, on a lower volume, and less time-to-market visible product, one where there is a viable current-production backup if there are any significant issues.
I'm pretty sure that Samsung didn't consult with JB Straubel about battery pack design and stress testing and battery management systems either.

From Elektrek today,
Tesla Model 3: new building permits show production line under construction, hints at automated Supercharger

Re: building permit for anchoring the new stamping press, quote from Elon Musk:
“We are busy building out the stamping facility right now. The question is not whether the stamping press will be here. It’s going to be here well in advance of the Model 3. But the question is really how long does it take to work out the bugs in the stamping line? And how many iterations does this one have to go through to get it operating smoothly?”

Elektrek writes, "Musk said that he will be overseeing some of the operations himself during the installation."
Oh, I pity the engineers and mechanics on that project with EM breathing down their necks.! :)

Last edited:
From Elektrek today, Re: building permit for anchoring the new stamping press
Tesla Model 3: new building permits show production line under construction, hints at automated Supercharger

Quote from Elon Musk:
“We are busy building out the stamping facility right now. The question is not whether the stamping press will be here. It’s going to be here well in advance of the Model 3. But the question is really how long does it take to work out the bugs in the stamping line? And how many iterations does this one have to go through to get it operating smoothly?”

"Musk said that he will be overseeing some of the operations himself during the installation."
Oh, I pity the engineers and mechanics on that project with EM breathing down their necks.! :)
I need to buy Elon a bullwhip to bring to work with him. :p

Tesla.com says "mid-2018" for M3 reservations. If I reserve in the next week and my intent is a get a M3 with AWD, what is the educated guess for my delivery window? Is it late 2018 or even 2019? I just got the green light from my wife over the weekend to get a new Tesla. I'm still up in the air about whether I go with a new MS75, CPO, or a M3 (hate that AWD won't be available right away).

I am currently driving a 2004 E320 with 200k mi, but I can wait until '18 if the M3 although losing $7500 tax credit and now looking at a M3 price tag that'll likely be more $50k w/ what I'd get versus $40k range certain make the decision to get a new MS more reasonable.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
If you "must have" a D car (all wheel drive) I think you only have an outside chance at the $1875 tax credit. Just too many things stacked against you: ordering now, AWD, East Coast, etc.

If it's anywhere in your price range, I'd be looking for a Model S- CPO or used D car or an inventory car with the tax rebate. If not, you'll probably be waiting until at least the 2nd half of 2018 for an AWD Model 3. If you're willing to forgo the AWD, I would think your chances of getting a tax rebate would increase dramatically especially if it had a big battery and was well optioned. Good luck!

Tesla.com says "mid-2018" for M3 reservations. If I reserve in the next week and my intent is a get a M3 with AWD, what is the educated guess for my delivery window? Is it late 2018 or even 2019? I just got the green light from my wife over the weekend to get a new Tesla. I'm still up in the air about whether I go with a new MS75, CPO, or a M3 (hate that AWD won't be available right away).

I am currently driving a 2004 E320 with 200k mi, but I can wait until '18 if the M3 although losing $7500 tax credit and now looking at a M3 price tag that'll likely be more $50k w/ what I'd get versus $40k range certain make the decision to get a new MS more reasonable.
If the ramp up goes without a hitch I'd say Q4 2018 or Q1 2019 there's still a possibility you could get $3750 if you had delivery in Q4 2018 assuming Tesla pushes the 200,000th delivery until Q1 2018. $1875 Q1 and Q2 of 2019.

I've read thru a couple of the CPO threads and they make me a little wary to be honest. I'd rather fork out $80-85k for a new MS75D get the color combo I want then get the tax credit. We have had both our cars since 2004 so we hold onto them for quite a while, and to have a car for that long you have to love driving and looking at it from the beginning and I don't see much in the way of my color combo but will definitely keep an eye out until I decide to pull the trigger on a new MS or M3 reservation. Thx again.

If you "must have" a D car (all wheel drive) I think you only have an outside chance at the $1875 tax credit. Just too many things stacked against you: ordering now, AWD, East Coast, etc.

If it's anywhere in your price range, I'd be looking for a Model S- CPO or used D car or an inventory car with the tax rebate. If not, you'll probably be waiting until at least the 2nd half of 2018 for an AWD Model 3. If you're willing to forgo the AWD, I would think your chances of getting a tax rebate would increase dramatically especially if it had a big battery and was well optioned. Good luck!

The fact that AWD won't be available right away won't affect you since, as Jeff said above, you likely won't be invited to configure uintil late 2018 at the earliest. With AWD supposed to be available before the end of this year you should be fine.

Reactions: JeffK