Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 production suspended from Feb 20-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking that the slowdown was to get the machine from Germany that would fix the battery bottleneck installed. It's not confirmation but i have a strong feeling that's what this stop is for.

It'll be interesting if deliveries increase rapidly to the 2.5k mark

There's no evidence the February stoppage had anything to do with the line from Germany. Based on what we have heard, that was supposed to come in March, so my hypothesis is the February stoppage was not related to this, so we may not have "been played... again."

I believe you are correct. Looks like we have all been played.. again. I know they still have a couple weeks to get to that rate but the odds seem pretty stacked against their own word.

• Disagree
Reactions: lupend88
This just confirms what we all pretty much figured out here. I sold my TSLA stock 3 weeks ago when the VIN's slowed down. I expect the market to overreact to the bad Q1 numbers and then I will buy again. Then again I am waiting for my VIN after configuring on 2/22 so I really just want my car!!!!

I would be shocked if they produce any more than 1,200-1,500 a week the last week of March.

Seems pretty normal to me to shutdown the production to put improvements in place. This is basically no-news info. How would you upgrade the production line while its running. If anything, that's a good sign.

It is big news and good news and that is why the stock is up 4% today. The reason is because the obvious stop in production could have been caused by a lot of other factors(non planned outage, missing parts..ect) and Tesla confirmed it was planned.

That said it is very possible in modern day manufacturing(especially with Tesla and the fact they are the FUTURE of manufacturing) to upgrade your line without downtime.

I considered doing the same, but I just held...

You will most likely come out on top unless production really picks up and they surpass 2,500 units a week in March. I'm not talking about a "rate of 2,500 per week." I'm talking about actually doing 2,500+ units a week. Good luck to you.

History tells us, you prob made the right choice.

This just confirms what we all pretty much figured out here. I sold my TSLA stock 3 weeks ago when the VIN's slowed down. I expect the market to overreact to the bad Q1 numbers and then I will buy again. Then again I am waiting for my VIN after configuring on 2/22 so I really just want my car!!!!

I would be shocked if they produce any more than 1,200-1,500 a week the last week of March.

• Disagree
Looks like we have all been played.. again.

From the article:
“Our Model 3 production plan includes periods of planned downtime in both Fremont and Gigafactory 1,” a Tesla spokesman said in an emailed statement. “These periods are used to improve automation and systematically address bottlenecks in order to increase production rates. This is not unusual and is in fact common in production ramps like this.”

How is a planned shutdown to implement production line improvements equal to being played? As R-123 asks, how would you make improvements to an active production line?

If you think Tesla's lying to you, then why do business with them? Request your deposit back and buy a vehicle from a company you trust.

Seems pretty normal to me to shutdown the production to put improvements in place. This is basically no-news info. How would you upgrade the production line while its running. If anything, that's a good sign.

Some people are guessing the shutdown was to set up the line for AWD configs. However, if that was the case, you'd think Tesla would have announced that in their official statement, don't you think? That would definitely be a newsworthy item (AWD cars on the horizon).

I considered doing the same, but I just held...

You will most likely come out on top unless production really picks up and they surpass 2,500 units a week in March. I'm not talking about a "rate of 2,500 per week." I'm talking about actually doing 2,500+ units a week. Good luck to you.

History tells us, you prob made the right choice.
I have a feeling they might say something like: we tested all our improvements on 3/31 and were able to produce at a rate that extrapolates to 2.5k/week, then continue production at 1.5k/week in April. Same thing at the end of Q2 for 5k. I.e. the real production will be happening at the lower than advertised rates.

Bloomberg's auto-estimate showing production finally moving north again - 704 / week from 655 / week. 2,500 here we come! (eventually ;)
2018-03-12 10_50_58-How Many Tesla Model 3 Cars Have Been Made_.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Some people are guessing the shutdown was to set up the line for AWD configs. However, if that was the case, you'd think Tesla would have announced that in their official statement, don't you think? That would definitely be a newsworthy item (AWD cars on the horizon).
The timing is not right for it. It would make more sense to do that first week of April. After the end of quarter delivery rush. I'm sure they can sell thousands more configs without AWD first. So I doubt AWD setup was the reason behind it.

Perhaps, but they want to move cars and held reservations do (relatively) nothing for the company. I think they will just sneak in AWD at some random time to minimize the holders who are still on the fence for AWD.