Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Projected 0-60 Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very reliable sources have pitted that the Performance version is under 4 seconds. With Ludicrous, it broke into the 2-second range. Both sources stated information before Tesla/Elon revealed it, in some cases over a month before. So I agree with ya OP. I think the Model 3 is going to crush 0-60mph times of its nearest competitors. Other things, I'm more skeptical on.

Ludicrous isn't cheap; it used to be a $10,000 upgrade.

In the guide Tesla released, it said "as quick as 2.3" for MS and "5.6" for M3.

Why would they bring out a car that is close to the P100D in performance (and likely better handling due to lower weight) at half the price? Who would buy the MS?

Is that really worth double the price of a fully loaded M3?

Um, Tesla explains the rest in the PDF: more range, free supercharging (w/ referral), more seats, more cargo, more displays, more customization, faster delivery, and lots of premium features the Model 3 will never get.

To some people, absolutely yes. If you want the top-of-the-line, pure embodiment of what Tesla wants in a car...you gotta go Model S/X.

Do we know for sure they are going to offer a larger battery RWD version?

Sigh. I hadn't even considered that they may not :/

Can we assume there will be and speculate on that?

Edit: How disappointing if that's true. Went from AWD, to RWD 75, to gotta pay back the Feds because the car isn't coming this year. Could just be the salt talking, but if the small battery range doesn't beat the Chevy Bolt @ 238 miles and a larger battery isn't offered off the bat, what a missed opportunity for Tesla PR wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHoffa
Sigh. I hadn't even considered that they may not :/

Can we assume there will be and speculate on that?

Since Q1 2016 over 14 months now they haven't offered the big battery rear wheel drive only option on the Model S.

I think we can safely say there won't be an option for such on Model 3.

If there were you could assume it will be almost exactly the same cost as the D variant at that battery size and have almost the same performance and will be cancelled shortly after it is offered because everyone buys the D variant instead due to the small price difference vs the larger increase in perceived value.

Let's all keep in mind that there are a handful of cars at around $40k-$50k that have 0-60 mph times in the low 4s

With AWD mid-low 4's isn't that tricky for cars even in the mid 30k range - A Subaru STI or Focus RS will do 4.7sec 0-60 stock and 4.4 with a ~500 dollar tune. Heck, a 26k WRX can do 5.0 and 4.7 with a quick tune.

I'd be surprised if the awd 3 isn't capable of being in this ballpark - (while obviously not being so clutch abusive)

Do we know for sure they are going to offer a larger battery RWD version?

Well, from this post..

Not a reliable source...come on, people. If we're going to needlessly speculate for months on end, let's keep up with who has friends at Tesla. M3OC's founder has gotten inside info a few weeks before it went public more than once before.

He leaked "5000 cars per week" ramp two weeks before Tesla made it public on the earnings call and confirmed AWD's launch delay over a month before Elon made it public on Twitter.

TrevP said back in Feburary:

This person spoke to some Tesla engineers while they were onsite and the gist for Model 3 production is as follows (again, this is a RUMOUR and I cannot verify it) :

• Plans are to ramp Model 3 production as fast as possible once it begins to reach 5000 cars A WEEK!
  • Contrary to what Elon said initial production will be
  1. Big battery and rear wheel drive first
  2. 2 months later: big battery and dual motor drive
  3. 2 months later: everything else
  • Tesla has already made some initial body panel dies and stamped out several hundred panels (Michigan Tesla facility)
  • There is a Model 3 prototype with Ludicrous that was able to achieve 0-60mph in .... 2 SECONDS
  • Model 3 performance models are still expected to be in the low 3 second range

And just to add my $0.02.. the larger battery packs seem to make pretty good margin. So I dont see why they wouldnt offer the larger pack at launch.

Reactions: Bokonon
Thats what someone told TrevP, apparently. And TrevP seems to hear lots of things from a little birdy in Palo Alto.

I'm just relaying the information (and my $0.02 based on that information)
Let's not forget early rumors also said that the most highly optioned models would come first but look how that rumor turned out...

Although now I'm interested to see the larger battery RWD performance numbers.

Also, from every online "What will you get" poll, almost everybody is getting the big battery.

If they happened to offer only 1 battery, I can't see them making it the small battery.

If so, you'd have massive amounts of reservation holders waiting, which probably isn't a problem for Tesla, except a lot of people would be angry.

IF they don't offer a bigger battery, this tweet from Elon either confirms a 238+ mile range for the base OR he is bragging about a car that won't be available at launch, which is odd because this was in the context of the AWD delay and he was trying to reassure people.
I'm thinking that both battery options might be available at launch with the given info. That's the only way they can still offer a $35k car and satisfy rumors.

How big a change in the production line is a different battery, than 2 motors?

I'm assuming, it's a lot easier a change?
It's not about tooling as much as production capacity concerns. Remember that they are ramping up 2170 production at the same time they're ramping up Model 3 production. They've made the NMC 2170 cells but they haven't ramped up NCA cells yet.

Wait, what about a larger battery RWD time? We know that AWD won't be available for a few months/a year but I guess I assumed we'd have a larger battery pack option RWD first - no?

I have no idea. I built the chart based on the current offering for the Model S, which does not include a large battery RWD. I don't think anyone really knows if that will be an option for the Model 3 or not. (outside of Tesla anyway)

From what one of the Model X owners posted, it's important to remember that there may be options available early on, but it will push back your build/deliver date. Almost nothing will be "available" early on if you're not an employee/previous owner.

Using myself as an example, I placed my reservation in person at noon in Walnut Creek, CA. When I go to order, and start playing with the different options:

-If I put together a Model 3 75 RWD I'd get an estimated delivery of late November.
-If I tweak the same car to be a 75 AWD, it would bump my estimate to late January.
-If I decide the 55 (guess) has plenty of range but stick to a budget and keep RWD, it might estimate mid March.
-Or, if my finances are in order and I buy my wife a big boquet of roses, my P75D estimate is mid April! :D

This would all be based on receiving my invitation to configure around September (wild guess).

One of the reveal cars for test rides was AWD, I think (or certainly hope) that they are "done" as well, just manufacturing ease is dictating availability. You can order a $35k Model 3, you'll just be waiting longer for it.

• Funny
Reactions: rckybbby
How big a change in the production line is a different battery, than 2 motors?

I'm assuming, it's a lot easier a change?

near zero change in the line for battery capacity. Two pack capacities, one physical size. No change for the robots, just a different part number for the pack and software config on the final car.

But for the motors the robots have to do a lot different, entire front end changes (suspension, motor, etc), extra parts, extra wires, changes that have to be inserted into the flow of the cars or done on a separate line.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHoffa