Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually (like almost every single time) someone says anything like "i can only go 100 miles on a charge" they dont have home charging, or dont charge every day, and seem to have an opinion that "my car has 230 miles range, I only drive 20 miles a day, I should be able to charge every 6-7 days or so".

Very rarely its something else, but I feel pretty comfortable predicting that based on that statement, this OP doesnt charge every day for "some reason", either because they dont have home charging, or they think that its better for some reason to run the car battery down before charging it back up.

In reference to your incorrect assumption: my car is plugged in at home every day the instant I get home till the instant I leave per the recommendation of an engineer. It is almost never driven below 10% charge and is always charged only up to 80% unless I plan a rare long-distance drive of 100 or more miles, in which case I do a full charge the night before. The mileage estimate of 1% charge used per mile is based upon a few of those long drives on highways, not short and in-town frequent stop drives.

Come on people, the OP wishes Tesla "would fix" issues, that they "have not searched high and low to see if there is a way we drivers can alter some of these". I mean, what's the point? Seriously? The OP hasn't even looked to see if there is an answer or if they're doing something wrong, but wants Tesla to fix it.

"here are some of the issues I wish they would fix. I am not a tech geek, and have not searched high and low to see if there is a way we drivers can alter some of these ourselves. I don't do twitter, and don't know if Tesla engineers actually read these posts, but it's worth a try."

Tesla needs to cater to the majority of the population if they want to sell a lot of these cars. That means they need to make some of these functions automatic, better, more functional, or easier to alter. If the gross minority of the population that purchases a car want to spend hours looking at manuals and forums for answers, they can do that for less imperative or advanced functions. The basics need to be easy access and not require research.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Leather, vegan leather...am I alone in preferring FABRIC? Tesla offered a high end fabric in the Model S some time ago, and when I test drove a car with it, it felt great. If it had been available in the Model 3 I would be enjoying it today. Warm in winter, breathable in summer, easy to clean, looks great, lasts forever, what's not to like?

I would have preferred a cloth fabric over the vegan fabric too. But, I would never purchase leather.

Reactions: Watts_Up
This is harsh. The SR+ audio system is way better than anything I’ve ever driven. Maybe all sound systems in my previous cars are dumpster fires? o_O
I’m not sure, I guess it depends what cars you had. But I had a E class with Harman-Kardon, and two BMW’s(Still have one of my 3 series), which were miles better. Even now, when I hop into my 3 series, the audio is much better than the SR+’s system.

One of the major cons is the lack of options that Tesla provided. I would’ve gladly pony upped the extra money for the sound system after I paid extra for the 19 inch wheels, the multi-coat red, and the white-seats.

I’m not sure, I guess it depends what cars you had. But I had a E class with Harman-Kardon, and two BMW’s(Still have one of my 3 series), which were miles better. Even now, when I hop into my 3 series, the audio is much better than the SR+’s system.

One of the major cons is the lack of options that Tesla provided. I would’ve gladly pony upped the extra money for the sound system after I paid extra for the 19 inch wheels, the multi-coat red, and the white-seats.

Haha, yeah. My previous Honda probably doesn’t have the same sound signature as those you mentioned. I’m with you on the sound system as an option too...I would have strongly considered paying more for the premium audio

Con - Biggest one for me is QC and fit/finish of the car. It’s the worst when compared to any car I’ve owned and I also rent about 15 cars a year on average for work travel for the past 12 years so a fairly large pool of low to high end brands to compare to. My Y has poor paint finish, uneven panels gaps, and a few rattles and that’s the minor stuff.

Pro - The different driving experience. The Tesla UI, one pedal driving, and not needing to go to the gas station trump all the cons for me.

I wonder if ‘fit and finish’ varies quite a bit, vehicle by vehicle. Mine has been flawless (delivery May 2020). No problems with the paint. No rattles. No panel gaps. And no other fit\finish issues that I can think of or have noticed.

I wonder if ‘fit and finish’ varies quite a bit, vehicle by vehicle. Mine has been flawless (delivery May 2020). No problems with the paint. No rattles. No panel gaps. And no other fit\finish issues that I can think of or have noticed.
It sure seems to. My Friday afternoon built car has nearly perfect panel gaps, and two paint flaws (in areas that aren't visible). No rattles, no complaints.

I can verify what others have said about the thin/weak paint, though. My car got egged (we got it on TeslaCam and the two punks paid fifteen hundred dollars in damages), and one of the eggs went clean through the paint and the primer, all the way down to bare metal. I should post a picture of it now that the court stuff is all settled. Anyway, I was very surprised to see that much damage from an egg.

Edit: to add pictures. IMG_1326.JPGIMG_1327.JPG

It sure seems to. My Friday afternoon built car has nearly perfect panel gaps, and two paint flaws (in areas that aren't visible). No rattles, no complaints.

I can verify what others have said about the thin/weak paint, though. My car got egged (we got it on TeslaCam and the two punks paid fifteen hundred dollars in damages), and one of the eggs went clean through the paint and the primer, all the way down to bare metal. I should post a picture of it now that the court stuff is all settled. Anyway, I was very surprised to see that much damage from an egg.

Edit: to add pictures.View attachment 708178View attachment 708179
Just curious did they say why they did it?

They were targeting a specific car at the time... Two teenage girls in a fight over some guy. One girl and her male friend were egging the second girl's car. My wife saw them do it. My wife stops at the house the car is parked at, goes up to the door to tell the owner she just saw it happen and had a video of it. While she's talking to the owner of the car, the egging party comes around for another pass (they are throwing them from the car they're driving/riding in). They throw more eggs at the girl's car, and I guess couldn't pass up the additional target, as it clearly shows them targeting our car, too.

The other car had zero paint damage, which is actually what I was expecting as well... I've cleaned eggs off of plenty of cars over the years (I worked at a detailer shop as a teen, and also had a side business detailing high end cars until a few years ago) and this is the first time I'd seen an actual egg impact damage paint like this.