TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 prototype spotted in Marin Headlands north of San Francisco

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ecarfan, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 8
  2. PaulRocket

PaulRocket Member

Do you think they're already testing the Model 3? Or is this just to get some nice pictures? When could we expect some test mules? I'm guessing that they should have some by the end of the year.

3. ecarfan

Based on the fact that a camera truck was accompanying the Model 3 in the Marin Headlands area, it appears that Tesla was doing some filming. That could only be for marketing purposes: you don't need a film vehicle like that for road testing. Which surprises me. With almost 400,000 reservations, Tesla does not need to make marketing videos this early, in my opinion.

So I have a theory: the Model 3 development is farther along than Tesla has stated publicly. The silver prototype car is in final form, externally (interior design is not yet final). Tesla is going to be releasing videos of the Model 3 in the near future to maintain public interest before Part 2 of the reveal. Then shortly after the Part 2 reveal the car is going to go into production, well before the end of 2017.

Just a theory. Speculate away...

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. eloder

eloder Member

I'm probably overly optimistic, but I agree with you. I'm guessing the late 2017 / early 2018 is a number for mass production, but like the S and X we'll have months ahead of that point where it's actively being built for production.

• Like x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I don't know if the Model 3 will be hitting production earlier than previously announced or not, but Tesla definitely is making sure the car remains in the public eye. In these two instances, no attempts apparently were made to prevent these two individuals from photographing the car and then publishing the pictures online. Remember the cease and desist request to have the leaked CAD drawing of the Model X's interior removed from these forums? No such reaction this time around. Indeed, they even agreed to let Motor Trend go to the Gigafactory and shoot stills and videos of the car. Although there was absolute secrecy leading up to the Model 3 reveal, afterwards, they seem to be taking a much more open approach, as seen in the public appearances of the prototype(s) and in Elon's periodic tweets. These actions are very deliberate.

• Like x 2
  6. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

When I see this the first thing I thought is that it looks like they may be further along than we think. I don't think we will be getting early delivery but maybe on time. Interesting thing is these photos showed shots of the interior while Motor Trend did not if I remember correctly.

• Like x 1
  7. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Very nice pics, especially those with Golden Gate in the background.

Agree everything appears as if they are quite far in the design process - hope your speculations about an early delivery are right. Would be cool if the Model 3 would be on the market ahead of the Bolt! Like in the reveal part 2 - one more thing: Configurations start tomorrow :)! Well honestly I don´t really believe it, but maybe actually on time would already be an achievement for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  8. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

the shots of the interior appear to be exactly what was shown on the vehicle during the reveal. I think they are keeping it under wraps until the reveal #2

• Like x 1
  9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Looks like they did this shot in a similar area:

Models S☰X

tDOxsoZ.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
    • Funny x 1
  10. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Oh my, a family portrait!

(Where's Cinderella?)

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#11 hockeythug, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Prolly for the website. Currently only have shopped pictures of the thing besides the video of the event. Could also be for an exclusive article or footage for a segment for a show like 60 minutes.

12. ecarfan

That looks like a spot just off Highway 1 north of San Francisco, but I'm not sure exactly where. First time I've seen an S and a 3 side by side. In that shot the 3 looks taller, but that may be an illusion.

13. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

I concur. None of the cars at the Model ☰ Reveal Part I were 'mules'. They were referred to as 'Engineering Prototypes'. I take that to mean vehicles designed to validate what their computer models and engineering simulations have said in the Real World. They will use the data they glean to make tweaks one way or the other, but this is basically 'The CAR'. Maybe a cosmetic change here or there, maybe a slight change to this or that, but knowing they have to start final tooling a bit sooner than they originally anticipated, there is not enough time to dally.

Once the Gigafactory is able to begin producing the final battery cell design, the clock begins on the countdown to Production. I expect that Tesla Motors will want to have no less than 10,000 of the battery packs built before they begin Production. The first couple thousand may go to a fleet of Beta Prototypes to be used as demonstration cars at Tesla Stores nationwide, for press photo shoots and first looks, for crash testing and EPA validation.

The next four thousand might go to Employees, who will studiously report any problems, glitches, or errors. Then another four thousand or so to make sure those problems were fixed, and that no new ones have developed. Then hit the ground running building something like 4,000 per week and pushing them out the door. I'd like that.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. ElectricTundra

The 3 is likely a bit shorter, a bit narrower, and a bit taller. Give or take a bit.

• Love x 1
  15. Canuck1966

Canuck1966 Member

I agree. Comments about the interior would indicate that many decisions(steering controls panorama screen) have been finalized. I honestly believe the car is almost ready. Just minor tweaks to exterior based on Twitter AMA. Man my wishful thinking is getting the best of me.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Steering wheels on the wrong side.... Flip it horizontally...
    xes1.png

Then look here! :
    xes2.png

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 4
  17. tga

tga Active Member

TEG, you never cease to amaze me with your photo analysis skills/image library. Well done, as always.

Although I have to wonder, why would anyone bother to flip the image before uploading to Imgur?

• Like x 1
  18. houdini

houdini Member

• Like x 1
  19. ecarfan

TEG, you nailed it, good eye.

It really does look like the 3 is a bit taller than the S. Which I'm fine with. Headroom should be excellent.

• Like x 1
  20. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I think the height is because of the angle. In the cell phone video of the 3 behind a model S just after the reveal showed it just a bit shorter.

[​IMG]

• Like x 9