Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 prototype spotted in Marin Headlands north of San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the fact that a camera truck was accompanying the Model 3 in the Marin Headlands area, it appears that Tesla was doing some filming. That could only be for marketing purposes: you don't need a film vehicle like that for road testing. Which surprises me. With almost 400,000 reservations, Tesla does not need to make marketing videos this early, in my opinion.
It's most likely to get plenty of shots to show the rest of the road-going public what the front of the car looks like.

Tesla Updates: Model 3 spotted twice this week in San Francisco

Some nice shots shown in this article. Note that it has an error: it says the Model 3 prototype was spotted at a "San Francisco service center". There is no such Tesla service center. The photos show the Burlingame service center.

I think these are the final pictures from the photo session.

FB_IMG_1467111058266.jpg
FB_IMG_1467111053347.jpg

Thanks Knobi. Where did you find those photos? (Which are obviously heavily processed in Photoship, but then all marketing material gets that treatment these days).

I'm going to hate to put a California front plate on my Model 3. It will ruin the aesthetics and alter the aerodynamics. Maybe I will skip it. I have a front plate on my S but not on my Roadster.

I'm going to hate to put a California front plate on my Model 3. It will ruin the aesthetics and alter the aerodynamics. Maybe I will skip it. I have a front plate on my S but not on my Roadster.
At worst it's a fix-it ticket which you can clear by just installing it. I've had a Mustang for 11 years with no plate up front and have never been cited for it. I even got pulled over for speeding once and the officer didn't care to notice.

I'm certainly not going to install one on my M3 unless directed to.

Steering wheels on the wrong side.... Flip it horizontally...

Then look here! :
View attachment 174770

That's Goat Rock in the background, near Jenner. I didn't recognize the parking lot as I usually park down by Goat Rock. Nice find.

On another note, that's a bit of a haul from anywhere on roads that will suck your range down. There's no way they'd push the 3 out near the edge of its range, so..... :)

Last edited: