Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Purchase Advice Needed!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m purchasing a Model 3 this year but torn on which one to get. I want a long range but new is outside my price range. I can afford the SR+ but 250 mi range doesn’t seem to be enough for winter and I really want to maximize the amount of range I can buy.

Question: Should I purchase a brand new SR+ or a used long range (ideally with less than 20k miles so I can have a couple years of warranty left). I’ve been looking and occasionally see fairly priced ones. I’m completely willing to travel and have a nice road trip home. The brand new LR is above my max so won’t consider it.

My Location: Massachusetts, USA

Average Daily Commute for work: 40 miles but visit family occasionally that can be a few hundred miles away and enjoy a nice road trip

My concern: Range loss in the winter with the SR+

Other points: I can charge at work but there are only 4 chargers. I could probably nab 1 but I don’t want to factor this in too much. I’m having a NEMA 14-50 installed for home charging. ALSO, I do get 4k reimbursement through for work purchasing a brand new EV vehicle but after taxes we’re talking 2,500.

Am I overthinking? I feel like with the Y coming out and that the Model 3 being out for a few years (however, I only want 2018 or greater), I can get a good deal on a used M3 LR (most likely a private purchase). Or should I just buy a SR+ brand new, charge to 90% and most likely be fine for a majority of my driving?

Love reading these forums and appreciate any and all advice :)

I think you're balancing your concerns pretty well.

My thought is keep an eye out for a good deal on a LR, but also think through the SR+ a little more. It's plenty for your commuting you describe. The question is your family road trips. Where are they? More specifically, where are the Superchargers (if any) along the way between home and family destinations? I think the Supercharger location density in New England is pretty good (except RI), so you might be fine, even in winter.

Here's a thought. Go to abetterrouteplanner.com. Enter some pretend trips, including cold weather settings and see whether it comes up with SR+ routing solutions that make you happy.

Agree with Charley BC. I just read an article where the model 3 is holding its value more than any other used car in the US right now. And 2nd plsce isn't even close. Aka, it's NOT a buyer's market. I'd reconsider the SR+ given the density of chargers in your area. Winter range hits are bad but can be mollified with good behaviors. If taking lots and lots of road trips then maybe not. But otherwise I'd go for new.

Such a fast reply, gotta love this community.

This one LR I'm looking at now is 2018 and we negotiated to 42k and it has about 24k miles. It also comes with a second set of rims and tires. Thoughts? The warranty is transferable, correct? If I bought a new SR+ I would basically be paying the same thing but losing things like the premium audio, which really bugs me. Feels like I'm buying part of a car but you guys tell me. I know the audio is supposed to be fine in the partial premium but still, just bugs me.

Fam is basically in MA, MD, RI, FL. I did the better route planner for my trip to MD with normal conditions and some crazy weather. Normal was 2 stops and the latter was 3. It's really not too bad.

However, everything i read is to maximize range. If i charge to 90, i get about 225 miles with the SR+ and assuming 50% range loss under REALLY bad conditions, i would be at about 110 miles (which is meh).

I think if you like the car when you see it, there is value in the premium connectivity if you want what it provides and will keep the car a reasonable time

Learn to dress warm and use seat heaters whenever you can, it will save a lot of juice as will keeping tire pressures appropriate and not enjoying, too often, the acceleration and top speed ;)

BTW I used to live outside Boston so I know how really cold it gets (don't miss it :) )

My situation is probably similar to you. My daily is 60 miles and in PA I get a bit less winter than you but not too different. I also do family and other long trips. Im in a model 3 sr and its been fine. There are very very few trips that I wouldn't prefer the model 3. Those are a couple trips that just don't have convenient chargers. That being said... we do have an gas car in the family also so I always have a backup.
Anyways if I average more than 200mi driving a day for a trip I'd prefer to rent an ice... less depreciation and maintenance (tires!).

Hello and early welcome to the community!

Fellow Masshole here!

I hope I don't come off as a bit arrogant, but I really know this whole range thing really well. Specifically for me, I am doing about 35-40k miles a year, and didn't have home or work charging for the first 9 months or so (all supercharging) and only just got home charging (first come first serve aptartment charging) this month! I have gotten Val to between 0 and 5 miles many many times, and under 10% on a weekly to several time a week basis.... Again I hope I don't sound know-it-all but I am definitely an extreme case. Tomorrow will be a 400-500 mile day, my car is charging right now for a early morning NYC run right now :).

So I would say buy the used LR all day long. For me the stereo is a huge point and missing that I would be upset.

These cars are not like ICE cars and you don't have the same maintenance concerns with age, so as long as it is cosmetically good, then go for it!

As for the range though, you have to ask yourself how you drive. The fiance bought a 3D and honestly we should not have. The SR+ would be perfect for her as we have the range with my P3D (and this was pre SR+). If you are only doing 200 mile+ drives a few times a year and have home charging, the SR+ will be more than fine for you. It will mean stopping a few more times. If you will do long trips often, it will get a bit annoying. Also don't forget factors like staying at people's houses who do not have charging and then needing to find charging for your drive home the next morning (and the few % you will lose overnight).

The other thing to remember is range loss is less impactful from a real mile loss for a smaller battery than a big battery. I.E. for real range, my P3D with winters, I factor each % gets me 2 miles, this I get a 200 mile range and it is pretty dead accurate for me. Assuming the same 35% loss on a SR+, you would be getting about 170 mile range. If you make an even worse case scenario, say 50% loss (heavy snow and cold), a 3LR (assuming 322 miles) gets 161 miles where a SR+ will get 130 miles. The actual difference becomes smaller the worse the efficiency. Also do remember though a SR+ does SC a bit slower too.

All of this is to say your use case really matters. For me, I would buy a 400 mile range 3 the day it came out. For my fiance, we would buy a SR if we did it again. If those trips you take are rare and daily you are never going over 100 miles, and can charge every night, the SR+ is perfect for you. If you do take the long trips often enough, I'd go used. The decision of good stereo vs new car is a personal one, but I would fall on the used good stereo and range.

TL;DR: if you really don't do the long trips that often and are okay with a few more hours a year charging during them, and don't mind a lesser, but still good, stereo, buy the SR+. If you drive far often and need the range, buy the LR. And if you buy used, you really have not much to worry about compared to ICE. On my 45k miles, besides inspections and tires, I have spent about $100 on maintenance (windshield wipers and fluid).

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
I’m purchasing a Model 3 this year but torn on which one to get. I want a long range but new is outside my price range. I can afford the SR+ but 250 mi range doesn’t seem to be enough for winter and I really want to maximize the amount of range I can buy.

Question: Should I purchase a brand new SR+ or a used long range (ideally with less than 20k miles so I can have a couple years of warranty left). I’ve been looking and occasionally see fairly priced ones. I’m completely willing to travel and have a nice road trip home. The brand new LR is above my max so won’t consider it.

My Location: Massachusetts, USA

Average Daily Commute for work: 40 miles but visit family occasionally that can be a few hundred miles away and enjoy a nice road trip

My concern: Range loss in the winter with the SR+

Other points: I can charge at work but there are only 4 chargers. I could probably nab 1 but I don’t want to factor this in too much. I’m having a NEMA 14-50 installed for home charging. ALSO, I do get 4k reimbursement through for work purchasing a brand new EV vehicle but after taxes we’re talking 2,500.

Am I overthinking? I feel like with the Y coming out and that the Model 3 being out for a few years (however, I only want 2018 or greater), I can get a good deal on a used M3 LR (most likely a private purchase). Or should I just buy a SR+ brand new, charge to 90% and most likely be fine for a majority of my driving?

Love reading these forums and appreciate any and all advice :)

Do you really want a non AWD vehicle in the Northeast?

• Funny
Reactions: jsanford
It would appear that the car you really want is a Long Range, and I would agree with that. However at the moment the used market for LR Model 3’s is too high. $42K for a LR with 24K miles on it is too expensive. You may need to wait until the market softens a bit or just hold off and see if Tesla reintroduces the LR RWD model. It is rumored to be coming back sometime this Spring.

I’m generally someone who likes to buy new but I’d say the used AWD Model 3 as well if it’s comfortably in your price range for the extra mileage range. I love mine and the Premium Interior is very nice. Whatever you are looking for, see if it has AP and if the person ordered before July 2018 ( can have a later manufacturer/delivery date like mine) it should have the free Premium Connectivity—just make sure it stays with the car.

It would appear that the car you really want is a Long Range, and I would agree with that. However at the moment the used market for LR Model 3’s is too high. $42K for a LR with 24K miles on it is too expensive. You may need to wait until the market softens a bit or just hold off and see if Tesla reintroduces the LR RWD model. It is rumored to be coming back sometime this Spring.

I read about it being introduced in China but nothing here...sadly. I hope you're right but no real evidence to support that :(

Hello and early welcome to the community!

Fellow Masshole here!

I hope I don't come off as a bit arrogant, but I really know this whole range thing really well. Specifically for me, I am doing about 35-40k miles a year, and didn't have home or work charging for the first 9 months or so (all supercharging) and only just got home charging (first come first serve aptartment charging) this month! I have gotten Val to between 0 and 5 miles many many times, and under 10% on a weekly to several time a week basis.... Again I hope I don't sound know-it-all but I am definitely an extreme case. Tomorrow will be a 400-500 mile day, my car is charging right now for a early morning NYC run right now :).

So I would say buy the used LR all day long. For me the stereo is a huge point and missing that I would be upset.

These cars are not like ICE cars and you don't have the same maintenance concerns with age, so as long as it is cosmetically good, then go for it!

As for the range though, you have to ask yourself how you drive. The fiance bought a 3D and honestly we should not have. The SR+ would be perfect for her as we have the range with my P3D (and this was pre SR+). If you are only doing 200 mile+ drives a few times a year and have home charging, the SR+ will be more than fine for you. It will mean stopping a few more times. If you will do long trips often, it will get a bit annoying. Also don't forget factors like staying at people's houses who do not have charging and then needing to find charging for your drive home the next morning (and the few % you will lose overnight).

The other thing to remember is range loss is less impactful from a real mile loss for a smaller battery than a big battery. I.E. for real range, my P3D with winters, I factor each % gets me 2 miles, this I get a 200 mile range and it is pretty dead accurate for me. Assuming the same 35% loss on a SR+, you would be getting about 170 mile range. If you make an even worse case scenario, say 50% loss (heavy snow and cold), a 3LR (assuming 322 miles) gets 161 miles where a SR+ will get 130 miles. The actual difference becomes smaller the worse the efficiency. Also do remember though a SR+ does SC a bit slower too.

All of this is to say your use case really matters. For me, I would buy a 400 mile range 3 the day it came out. For my fiance, we would buy a SR if we did it again. If those trips you take are rare and daily you are never going over 100 miles, and can charge every night, the SR+ is perfect for you. If you do take the long trips often enough, I'd go used. The decision of good stereo vs new car is a personal one, but I would fall on the used good stereo and range.

TL;DR: if you really don't do the long trips that often and are okay with a few more hours a year charging during them, and don't mind a lesser, but still good, stereo, buy the SR+. If you drive far often and need the range, buy the LR. And if you buy used, you really have not much to worry about compared to ICE. On my 45k miles, besides inspections and tires, I have spent about $100 on maintenance (windshield wipers and fluid).

You make some excellent points, which is why I'm so torn. Honestly, the SR+ would work for me 90% of the time, however, the partial premium fn kills me.

Let me throw another wrench in the gears and that I've seen multiple mid range ones with less miles through Tesla for around the same price as the new SR+. So I get a little more range and the premium interior.

I think getting a new SR+ and seeing speakers that don't work would drive me nuts...I'm particular about audio quality and tend to buy expensive headphones lol.

So there's that. I'm gona go test drive an SR+ next weekend though but I still feel like used mid range (2019) or long range (2018 and greater) is where my head's at...at least 60% of the time lol

I’m generally someone who likes to buy new but I’d say the used AWD Model 3 as well if it’s comfortably in your price range for the extra mileage range. I love mine and the Premium Interior is very nice. Whatever you are looking for, see if it has AP and if the person ordered before July 2018 ( can have a later manufacturer/delivery date like mine) it should have the free Premium Connectivity—just make sure it stays with the car.

It does have premium connectivity...ugh decisions

I think you are asking the right questions. If the audio is a big concern, sit in both and listen. That will tell you the answer.

I'm not sure if there are any audio upgrades available for the 3, might be worth checking that out too.