Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 radio reception issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed since I took delivery of my AWD Model 3 in Sept 2018 that the FM radio reception is quite mediocre. I've read other reports however nothing I've seen seems to be quite this bad, or quite this tolerable by the manufacture. Note that I'm listening to FM stations that are local and that, in the other five cars I've owned, have never had an issue being picked up. While driving along, speed doesn't matter, the FM reception will come and go, often fairly quickly making the quality jump all around. We're not talking 4 to 3 bars here, we're talking 4 to 1 and then back to 3 and so on. This doesn't just cause the HD radio to go back to analog radio, it causes the signal to experience significant static. Furthermore, what did it for me, is that overpasses/bridges, relatively small ones even, completely attenuate any FM signal.

I recently took my Model 3 to an SC for other rattling noises and mentioned this to them. In a pre-visit walk-through with a tech, they told me that I should never be losing signals under bridges. Now that they have had it for two weeks, I am being told quite the opposite and that the FM radio antenna is operating properly/within spec.

Can anyone else comment on their experience with the radio on major parkways/highways on Long Island, NY and the surrounding areas? Does anyone know where the antenna is located and/or a way to boost it/replace it with something better? Any other ideas as well?

After convincing the Tesla folks to take a second look, they were able to observe that, despite whatever tests they performed to confirm everything was working properly, another Model 3 had notably better reception. Good to know for everyone out there - don't let them tell you it works when it doesn't.

They ordered a new antenna and will see if that fixes the issue. I reminded them that it could also be the receiver. We'll see.

By way, you're not going to get any radio, GPS, or streaming data in some places. In big cities there are dead spots caused by tall buildings. On bridges and in tunnels the signal can be grounded out the metal or blocked by dirt and concrete. Many of the structures (at least in my state) were equipped with wire to allow radio signals to get around structure so you don't lose reception. I'm sure that not true everywhere.

By way, you're not going to get any radio, GPS, or streaming data in some places. In big cities there are dead spots caused by tall buildings. On bridges and in tunnels the signal can be grounded out the metal or blocked by dirt and concrete. Many of the structures (at least in my state) were equipped with wire to allow radio signals to get around structure so you don't lose reception. I'm sure that not true everywhere.

While appreciated, this is really off-topic if you read the OP. We're talking about areas where there is generally good or perfect reception and the Model 3 has way less than that.

In response to my initial post:

Tesla replaced the antenna despite it passing all the tests and things have improved. Still nowhere near any other car I've been in however after reading the forums and chatting with other people, it would appear that thus is the design of the Tesla. It's quite unfortunate as FM just seems so basic.

Reactions: txwoodchuck
In response to my initial post:

Tesla replaced the antenna despite it passing all the tests and things have improved. Still nowhere near any other car I've been in however after reading the forums and chatting with other people, it would appear that thus is the design of the Tesla. It's quite unfortunate as FM just seems so basic.
Very unfortunate. This is just another addition to the long list a complaint I have about the model 3. I wonder sometimes when is it the time to stop making excuses for Tesla?

Do you think I can request mobile service to replace the antenna? I really don’t want to take it to the service center again