Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Range decreased again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a while ago that in October 2019 after a software update my Model 3 range at 100% charge went from 308 miles to 293 miles a loss of ~5% from what I was getting before the update. I then proceeded to start charging to 90% for a while (couple months) and then 80% (couple of months) and so on..... per the advice of the Tesla Mobile Service Tech who changed out the charge pins on my M3. I just charged it to 100% for the first time in several months and now all i get is 282 miles....Another 5% loss!!!! So when it reports 100% charged I get 282 miles a 10% loss!

I know...I know... it is an estimate.....but when the car was new in September 2018 and up until October 2019 I regularly got ~308 miles at 100% (only charged it to 100% a few times for trips), then 1 year after new lost 5%, Now six months later it has "lost" another 5% and sits at ~90% of its stated range. I am beginning to worry! If it is truly a battery issue then Tesla should be forthcoming with all of us that are experiencing such a range loss. If it is just a software inaccuracy then they should fix it. at 5% loss every six months when I get to the end of the warranty period it will have a max range of ~240 - 250 miles!!!!

Hopefully I will get some constructive responses instead of "it's an estimate..." or "don't look at the miles use the %"

The fact remains the range of the car based on comparison from day one has decreased.

If your ICE car that was consistently getting 30 miles/gallon when you bought it and 1.5 years later it is consistently getting 24 miles/ gallon you'd be wondering as well and probably having it checked by the dealer.

I charged my 1/18 vintage model 3 to 80% yesterday. Stopped at 255 miles. About 22,000 miles, almost all in town. I use fsd on the freeway. When I got car, I tried charging to 100% at supercharger, stopped at 310.
I think the battery on our 3 holding up better than the battery on our 3 year old x

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
Concerning for sure but I’m not convinced it’s in an alarm state just yet. A single reading matters little as you mentioned and can fluctuate based on temperature and other things. What matters is charge level over time over a few seasons. Are you logging charge levels with something like Teslafi or Stats?

I have a 2019 TM3P for almost a year and I’ve fluctuated from 295 to 309 but I’m in Florida and don’t have capacity sapping cold temperatures.

The fact remains the range of the car based on comparison from day one has decreased.

As is fully normal and expected in an EV. It’s unfortunate if you were led to believe otherwise.

Your remedy and recourse is simple and well defined. If you lose more than 30% range during the warranty period, you’ll get a replacement battery. Otherwise, happy motoring!

My LR RWD last charged to 324 miles at 99% back in the summer of 2019. I did notice a projected range decrease beginning with one of the fall updates and it's gotten lower ever since.

Now it estimates 285 miles at 100% in the app. I've only charged it over 90% less than a handful of times ever. I drive about 60-80 miles a day and usually charge to 80% daily.

I'm not worried though and I may charge to close to 100% and let the cells balance to see if there's any change.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Something's pretty borked in 2020.12.x as far as battery reading. Here's my total battery report from teslafi -
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 5.48.32 PM.jpg

That huge dip at the end is when 2020.12 was installed. It started creeping back up when I did a complete reset ala mountainpass performance. Still some other things to try - I'd like to run the battery all the way down, then charge all the way back up to 100% - that seems to help the estimates - I did that before that plateau at 315-317 that lasted a while. Except I'm hardly driving these days. Note that these are just estimates - I'm not really terribly concerned about all this - the car gets me where I need to go.

I lost 10% of my estimated range at 6 months of age and about 6,000 miles. The car is now 10 months old and has 9,850 miles and is showing an estimated 271 miles of range at 100% and 135 miles at 50% (using the charging slider in the app).

This is a M3P. My Roadster has lost less estimated range in 10 years and 22,000 miles.

I opened a ticket with Tesla about it when the car was about 6 months old, Tesla closed it, saying the battery was fine, slightly healthier than average for its age/usage.

Anyone else seen this level of loss to range estimates? I wish I could see the Computed Amp-Hour Capacity like I can on the Roadster.

The reported range of the car has decreased. But do you actually know that the actual range has changed? Was it truly 308 miles at the start? Or was it just reporting that, but if you had tried to drive, it would be much less? Unless you have really done carefully controlled tests, all you actually know is that a reported number that may have been incorrect has now changed to a different reported number that may also be incorrect.

My July 2019 build dual motor long range Model 3 "stealth" with 13,500 miles showed 308 miles of range when it was new, and it's down to 288 on a full charge now. I drive very conservatively, and my average power usage is 246 Wh/mi. I use the trip meter to compare my actual mileage with the displayed range, and my actual mileage is always less than the displayed range by about 15%. :(

I lost 10% of my estimated range at 6 months of age and about 6,000 miles. The car is now 10 months old and has 9,850 miles and is showing an estimated 271 miles of range at 100% and 135 miles at 50% (using the charging slider in the app).

This is a M3P. My Roadster has lost less estimated range in 10 years and 22,000 miles.

I opened a ticket with Tesla about it when the car was about 6 months old, Tesla closed it, saying the battery was fine, slightly healthier than average for its age/usage.

Anyone else seen this level of loss to range estimates? I wish I could see the Computed Amp-Hour Capacity like I can on the Roadster.

drain it to 1% and charge up to 100% and see how many kwh your battery pack holds. if its substantially low demand that tesla inspects the internal cell packs to see if there is a faulty one (they can check over the internet). 10% range loss sounds like something is faulty unless its just the display.

I had <1% degradation at 6000 miles.

My LR RWD last charged to 324 miles at 99% back in the summer of 2019. I did notice a projected range decrease beginning with one of the fall updates and it's gotten lower ever since.

Now it estimates 285 miles at 100% in the app. I've only charged it over 90% less than a handful of times ever. I drive about 60-80 miles a day and usually charge to 80% daily.

I'm not worried though and I may charge to close to 100% and let the cells balance to see if there's any change.
I experienced a similar drop in reported range in my 2018 LR RWD, and my commute and charging habits are similar to yours. The drop didn’t happen until after I had HW 3.0 installed in January, though, so when I reported it to the service center, they told me to increase my depth of discharge. So I started charging every 3rd day, and lo and behold, my estimated range at 100% did go back up. Not to the full ~325 miles I used to see, but 312-315 miles, so I think maybe there is something about charging habits that affect the estimate.

Anyway, I’ve gone back to daily charging, because I have solar and powerwalls, and the Q3 day charging is way less efficient. I’m just going to ignore the reported range from now on.

I am seeing a projected full charge range of around 355km on my SR+ with 11000km.

daily charge to 90%. Hasn’t been below 50%for a couple of months

I think this is 9% loss. Not that worried — hasn’t affected any trips or my commute.

It is juts the battery calibration getting out of whack. Everyone's driving habits changed with Covid which affects the BMS. Deep breaths, with warm weather and regular driving habits it will average back out.

The graphs in this very thread showing it going up and down. A degraded battery never goes back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.