Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Range decreased again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is currently charged to 90%. When set to distance it shows 221 miles. Obviously this should be 225 (real simple math here)

Lol. My "projected range" says 249 miles.

I think the real answer here, even though the thread starter doesn't want to hear it, is that it IS an estimate.

43XX miles on the car in 4.5 months.

Last edited:
My April '18 build 3 RWD LR has 48,000 miles on it, and it's always been good about keeping its full 310 mile range, even with my odd charging style. Normal charges to 90%, most plugins are at around 20%-30%. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

90% charges are routinely in the 275-279 mile range, but all of a sudden, I was getting 270-270-268-269. I called Tesla support and they suggested a couple full cycles to recalibrate. So I did, Drove it to 0 miles, charge to 100%, drove down to 8 miles a few days later, and charged to 100% again. Only got to 301-302 miles at the best.

Tesla ran some diagnostics and said the battery was good, but I'm guessing one of those 46 cell bricks has a problem.

This was the same both before and after I got the 16.2.1 update.

I wouldn’t sweat a 10 mile jump. That’s a 3% change which may or may not persist. You’ve got 17% to go before the warranty kicks in.

Our driving and charging patterns, and build dates, are similar. If I had a sudden 10 mile drop, I’d panic too. When I do, can you try to talk me down, please? Seems fair ;)

My April '18 build 3 RWD LR has 48,000 miles on it, and it's always been good about keeping its full 310 mile range, even with my odd charging style. Normal charges to 90%, most plugins are at around 20%-30%. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Well it is unrealistic for you to expect to retain the full capacity, so the BMS has probably been off and is now finally starting to adjust to be more accurate. (All Lion batteries lose capacity over time/use.)

I wouldn’t sweat a 10 mile jump. That’s a 3% change which may or may not persist. You’ve got 17% to go before the warranty kicks in.

Don't you mean another 27% to go before the warranty kicks in?

90% charges are routinely in the 275-279 mile range, but all of a sudden, I was getting 270-270-268-269. I called Tesla support and they suggested a couple full cycles to recalibrate. So I did, Drove it to 0 miles, charge to 100%, drove down to 8 miles a few days later, and charged to 100% again. Only got to 301-302 miles at the best.

Tesla ran some diagnostics and said the battery was good, but I'm guessing one of those 46 cell bricks has a problem.

48,000 miles, and you find a potentially 2.5-3.5% drop in range to be out of the range of normal?

good about keeping its full 310 mile range
Wait, wasn't this supposed to have changed to 325 miles factory-fresh for the RWD via a software patch last year?

If not then not only is this a small drop, your battery is doing amazing so far. There often is a "sudden" drop like this relatively early on. If this is from 310 miles total you're down only 3% over just short of 50K miles. Extrapolating out to 1/4 million miles that'd be a measly 12%, 272 miles full nominal range. That'd be a phenomenal outcome.

I’ve experienced the same since the last update. My 90% was at 270 for as long as I can remember. It now is at 260.

2018 LR DM with just under 19K on the odometer. Haven’t changed charging habits. Nor have I tried cycling the battery yet.

I’ve also experienced the same thing in the past month or so. I’ve got a 2018 RWD LR with 38k miles. Can’t tell exactly when the decrease started since I haven’t been driving it as much due to covid19. I thought maybe the lack of driving the car was causing the decrease but did wonder if the update did something. I haven’t tried a recalibration.

I had the exact same thing happen. An overnight step change clearly visible in Teslafi data. Has persisted for a year now so I think it is permanent. I don't think there is much that can be done.

Same thing happen to my 2018 July, LR model 3 with 32000 miles. It has always been around 278-279 mile range at 90% charge and 309-312 at 100%. Then one day sometime last month it happed! Now 264-265 at 90% charge consistently. That’s over 5% degration all of a sudden, not gradual but just boom! One day normal, next day dropped 5%.

Last edited:
Same thing happen to my 2018 July, LR model 3 with 32000 miles. It has always been around 278-279 mile range at 90% charge and 309-312 at 100%. Then one day sometime last month it happed! Now 264-265 at 90% charge consistently. That’s over 5% degration all of a sudden, not gradual but just boom! One day normal, next day dropped 5%.

In the last few weeks mine went down too. 90% is now at 259/260. It was 275-278 for most of the 8 months that I've owned it. I'll do a few deep discharges and see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.