Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Range decreased again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the club.

Bought 2019 July AWD LR
Mileage: 40k miles
I tried using some of the users advice on charging but it actually got worse. Like much worse. Some advise on keeping the car plugged in but that’s hard to track your usage.
This is my latest charge. Charged to 90% (theoretically suppose to have 67.5 kWh). The car stated I have about 252 miles.
Now charging, it says I have 32 miles. Having used 38 kWh, where did the rest of my 29 kWh go? I don’t use A/c, heat, no sentry, radio, etc.

This car struggles so much to get 200 miles it’s not funny no more.
At this rate, I should have just gotten the sr+ model which caps at 263 miles at 100, amirite?

I contacted Tesla several times on this and I get the same answer. Battery ok. Within range.

On the fence of cancelling Tesla plaid order.

tesla will ALWAYS say its within spec unless you hit 70% of capacity. The good news is that cars which are new and have high range drop get anomalies below 40% SOC i.e. cells wont be able to supply voltage which causes rapid range drop and stranding at low SOC (i.e. happened to bjorn).If it gets a bit worse id encourage you to do a few deep discharges to see if the car strands you.

The other option is if calibration is a bit off, probably worth keeping the car at 90% for a bit and doing a couple of deep discharges from 100%.

Once you drop to I think around 220 miles you will get a battery replacement (I think default battery capacity for teslai 77.8kw or smth so 55kw including buffer will cause a battery replacement. so in theory thats 350km or 220 miles).

Welcome to the club.

Bought 2019 July AWD LR
Mileage: 40k miles
I tried using some of the users advice on charging but it actually got worse. Like much worse. Some advise on keeping the car plugged in but that’s hard to track your usage.
This is my latest charge. Charged to 90% (theoretically suppose to have 67.5 kWh). The car stated I have about 252 miles.
Now charging, it says I have 32 miles. Having used 38 kWh, where did the rest of my 29 kWh go? I don’t use A/c, heat, no sentry, radio, etc.

This car struggles so much to get 200 miles it’s not funny no more.
At this rate, I should have just gotten the sr+ model which caps at 263 miles at 100, amirite?

I contacted Tesla several times on this and I get the same answer. Battery ok. Within range.

On the fence of cancelling Tesla plaid order.
Your post is misleading for me. Is the actual 100% range 280miles or 252..??

tesla will ALWAYS say its within spec unless you hit 70% of capacity. The good news is that cars which are new and have high range drop get anomalies below 40% SOC i.e. cells wont be able to supply voltage which causes rapid range drop and stranding at low SOC (i.e. happened to bjorn).If it gets a bit worse id encourage you to do a few deep discharges to see if the car strands you.

The other option is if calibration is a bit off, probably worth keeping the car at 90% for a bit and doing a couple of deep discharges from 100%.

Once you drop to I think around 220 miles you will get a battery replacement (I think default battery capacity for teslai 77.8kw or smth so 55kw including buffer will cause a battery replacement. so in theory thats 350km or 220 miles).
With the LR model 3 only the standard range non-plus range is guaranteed in warranty. The warranty is bad imo.

Also about Bjorn, do have a link to that video? I pretty much watch all but never seen that.

Have you guys tried letting it sit around 50% SOC? Ever since Covid started, I've been letting my car sit between 50-55% charged. Not plugged in at all. Once it dips below below 50%, I supercharge it back to 70-75%. After 3 weeks or so, I noticed my estimated range slowly going up. Started below 300. Went up to 310. Hovered around 308 for months until I ran out of supercharing credits.

I have 2018 LR RWD. 308 miles max charge when it was new.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Have you guys tried letting it sit around 50% SOC? Ever since Covid started, I've been letting my car sit between 50-55% charged. Not plugged in at all. Once it dips below below 50%, I supercharge it back to 70-75%. After 3 weeks or so, I noticed my estimated range slowly going up. Started below 300. Went up to 310. Hovered around 308 for months until I ran out of supercharing credits.

I have 2018 LR RWD. 308 miles max charge when it was new.

Yeah my car usually sits around 50% that most of the time as I do extensive road trips (25k km/year) but dont use my car otherwise at the moment apart from going shopping.

I personally wouldnt use supercharging to get it from 50 to 70 as you increase your DC kwh counter that way.
I think the reason why your range went up after covid is because you let your car sit in the Texas spring/summer which causes long sleeping sessions in hot climate. The higher temperatures increases the chemical reactivity of the battery which makes the BMS thinks that you have more range available.

Again, there is annecdotal evidence on the forums here that for SOME cars with POOR voltage readings they can get a good range increase by letting the car sit at various % and after a few months the BMS starts reading higher range. However, we have no evidence that many cars are affected or that it is any less effective than letting the car sit at i.e. 90%.

The only thing we know for sure (and I have written this multiple times now) is that with the old Model S 85 batteries the least amount of degradation was observed with people routinely charging to 92% (day range) every day which back then surprised everyone.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that your RWD behaves slightly different. The old RWDs hide degradation until you hit the 75kwh treshold which is fixed to 310 mile range. That means you need to get 3% degradation before you can see any range drop. Dont quote me on this but I think this is how it worked. The whole thing got more confusing by tesla boosting the range to 322 miles. Some believe what happened is that the old 310 was just the 322 but the range wouldnt be displayed as more than 310. Others think 322 is equivalent to 310 after the 3% degradation drop happened. I'm not sure which one is correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.