Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the charging screen there is a range display which lists a somewhat idealised range. On another charging screen, the one with the graphs, a probable or typical range is listed. The idealized range is not particularly accurate for everyday driving but the probable/typical (I cannot remember the exact terminology used of hand) range is accurate. Is there any way to get the probable range shown on the main charging screen? If there is, I can't find it...

There isn’t.
Rated Range is shown on charging screen and corresponds to the Typical line on the consumption graph.
Projected range is shown on the consumption graph and is based on your last 10, 25 or 50km of driving (as selected) and corresponds to the Avg line on the graph (with Average Range selected. Instantaneous Range isn’t useful for much).

I enjoy all the numbers and data, but in my opinion as Tesla’s become more mainstream Tesla need to simplify all this.

Reactions: strykeroz
In the older Model S we were able to chose which data/value we wanted to see on the display for the SOC. We could set % of charge or distance expressed as rated or typical.
For the new Model S Raven we no longer have that choice between typical or rated range.
Typical is a much more realistic number and Tesla didn't do us a service by only showing rated...
They may have thought that it was necessary to anticipate competition to abuse the "typical" range in comparisons?

In the charging screen there is a range display which lists a somewhat idealised range. On another charging screen, the one with the graphs, a probable or typical range is listed. The idealized range is not particularly accurate for everyday driving but the probable/typical (I cannot remember the exact terminology used of hand) range is accurate. Is there any way to get the probable range shown on the main charging screen? If there is, I can't find it...
Just as a FYI you can access the "probable/typical" range through the Tesla API (requires custom code or a 3rd party app). I call it projected range and it is based on driving habits and environment. It is much more accurate than the EPA value shown on the fuel gauge. Well in my car it is anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile