Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range is really about 220 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Iirc the epa rating is based on a highway speed of 58 mph.

No it isn't. The EPA rating is based on a fairly complicated testing sequence that uses multiple speeds - that are generally lower - and then uses a correction factor.

I just finished a 280 mile round trip with no charging. I arrived home with 36 miles remaining. LR with aeros.

I travelled up to 80 mph though not for that long. The speed limit ranged from 45 (very short) to 70 mph and I kept up with traffic. I went a little slow on the way out - it was down hill and then I was going to have some vampire losses.

My average speed was well above 60 mph. On the way home I was over 70 mph for more than 1/2 the trip.

It was close to 70 degrees which helps a lot.

I have 73k miles on a 2015 70D..Typically I match EPA at 66/67 mph. I haven't figured out the 3 yet but the a roadtrip on the first 1000 miles was a decent bit below EPA. There was a lot of 75 mph driving though. And I think the temp was more like 50. This second trip was much better.

I also tend to get the rated consumption at about 65 mph in a model 3 mr aero with no serious terrain or temp, but initially I headed over the cascades and back and ended up averaging about 235 wh, mostly running 70, but slowing for the big up slopes. Daily in town so far i'm down around 202.

average speed for both the regular highway and high speed highway test cycles is 48.3 and 48.4 with the top speeds at 60 and 80.

the table pastes very poorly.

Test Cycle Attributes Test Cycle
City
Highway High Speed A/C Cold
Temp

Trip Type Low speeds in stop-and-go urban traffic Free-flow traffic at highway speeds Higher speeds; harder acceleration & braking A/C use under hot ambient conditions City test w/ colder outside temp.
Top Speed 56 mph 60 mph 80 mph 54.8 mph 56 mph
Average Speed 21.2 mph 48.3 mph 48.4 mph 21.2 mph 21.2 mph
Max. Acceleration 3.3 mph/sec 3.2 mph/sec 8.46 mph/sec 5.1 mph/sec 3.3 mph/sec
Simulated Distance 11 mi. 10.3 mi. 8 mi. 3.6 mi. 11 mi.
Time 31.2 min. 12.75 min. 9.9 min. 9.9 min. 31.2 min.
Stops 23 None 4 5 23
Idling time 18% of time None 7% of time 19% of time 18% of time
Engine Startup* Cold Warm Warm Warm Cold
Lab temperature 68ºF–86ºF 95ºF 20ºF
Vehicle air conditioning Off Off Off On Off
* A vehicle's engine doesn't reach maximum fuel efficiency until it is warm.

Unless traveling locally, I have my UMC in the car with 14-50 and 120v adapters. I even bought a 6-50 adapter (the most common receptacle for a welder), because when traveling in the boonies of northern MN and WI, you're never far from a machine shop with a welder. Granted, that's a bit of "belt and suspenders".

I'm with you there I carry my mobile connector with 14-50 and the plain 110 / 120, plus a chademo adapter and a J1772 .. (don't have a 6-50 adapter).

Speaking of boonies I'll be up there next week driving up from Arizona up to South Central Minnesota faribault county found a hotel in Albert Lea that has a supercharger right in their parking lot " the Albert Lea supercharger" going to stay there until I can figure out some other local charging solutions so I can get around and do some visiting while I'm up there. Plug share will be my friend for the time spent there. Hahaha.

Just about to order the LR AWD, and getting a little nervous based on some of these threads.
Assuming I stick with the 18' tires with aero, I'm only losing around 20 miles or to to the RWD, yes?

The 310 mile range is based on 242 wh/mile.

Based on the same EPA test that gave the AWD 310 mile range, the RWD LR Would get 332 miles. Or 226 wh/mile.

So they're saying AWD is about 7% less efficient than RWD with the same aero rims.

I also tend to get the rated consumption at about 65 mph in a model 3 mr aero with no serious terrain or temp, but initially I headed over the cascades and back and ended up averaging about 235 wh, mostly running 70, but slowing for the big up slopes. Daily in town so far i'm down around 202.

average speed for both the regular highway and high speed highway test cycles is 48.3 and 48.4 with the top speeds at 60 and 80.

the table pastes very poorly.

Test Cycle Attributes Test Cycle
City
Highway High Speed A/C Cold
Temp

Trip Type Low speeds in stop-and-go urban traffic Free-flow traffic at highway speeds Higher speeds; harder acceleration & braking A/C use under hot ambient conditions City test w/ colder outside temp.
Top Speed 56 mph 60 mph 80 mph 54.8 mph 56 mph
Average Speed 21.2 mph 48.3 mph 48.4 mph 21.2 mph 21.2 mph
Max. Acceleration 3.3 mph/sec 3.2 mph/sec 8.46 mph/sec 5.1 mph/sec 3.3 mph/sec
Simulated Distance 11 mi. 10.3 mi. 8 mi. 3.6 mi. 11 mi.
Time 31.2 min. 12.75 min. 9.9 min. 9.9 min. 31.2 min.
Stops 23 None 4 5 23
Idling time 18% of time None 7% of time 19% of time 18% of time
Engine Startup* Cold Warm Warm Warm Cold
Lab temperature 68ºF–86ºF 95ºF 20ºF
Vehicle air conditioning Off Off Off On Off
* A vehicle's engine doesn't reach maximum fuel efficiency until it is warm.

Some caveats.
- The times at the speeds at high speed is very short. Even the high speed test highlighted has an average speed of 48.4 mph.
- The EPA Highway test used for the Monroney sticker and Tesla numbers has a max speed of 60 mph and average speed of 48.3 mph.

People need to try this at 60 mph on the highway and see what sort of numbers they get. And how those compare to Tesla numbers.

Last edited:
Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

For those that don't want to click. Relevant numbers for 3LR + aero
48 mph average EPA dyno test - 475 mile range (as mentioned above - this is not 48 mph at all times but that is the average speed)
Extrapolated 60 mph range - 381 miles

I get about 381 mile range at 60 mph in moderate weather - I find this chart reasonable. A must see for those considering range of different models.