Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range is really about 220 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a tesla m3 long range dual motor and I believe it's actual range is a lot less than 310 miles. Correct me if I am wrong here. I charge my 3 to 90% or about 279 miles according to the guage. This is pretty much the max tesla suggests charging it even on long trips. Interestingly I get about 262 miles using about 250 watts per mile. Some days due to the weather or terrain I use close to 280 watts per mile which brings down the max range to less than 250 miles. No one I know drives their car to empty on any kind of regular basis. I personally look real hard for a gas station if my tank gets below an eighth of a tank. Even assuming great weather and pretty flat terrain that means 13% of say 260 miles or about 35 miles remaining in the "tank". That leaves about 200-225 miles as the actual driving range.

I own a tesla m3 long range dual motor and I believe it's actual range is a lot less than 310 miles. Correct me if I am wrong here. I charge my 3 to 90% or about 279 miles according to the guage. This is pretty much the max tesla suggests charging it even on long trips. Interestingly I get about 262 miles using about 250 watts per mile. Some days due to the weather or terrain I use close to 280 watts per mile which brings down the max range to less than 250 miles. No one I know drives their car to empty on any kind of regular basis. I personally look real hard for a gas station if my tank gets below an eighth of a tank. Even assuming great weather and pretty flat terrain that means 13% of say 260 miles or about 35 miles remaining in the "tank". That leaves about 200-225 miles as the actual driving range.

Tesla recommends charging to full if you need it for long trips. All those other things effect range of ICE cars too, you likely just didnt pay attention to it. Are you driving more than 200 miles between spaces you can charge? Likely the answer is no.

Yeah you get about 70% for “daily” usage and probably 50% for “daily” usage in the Winter. Charging 20-90.

That’s why Standard Range is nuts. Especially up north.

BTW if you look real close at the Energy graph the Reference line is actually drawn at 295 miles (not 310 or 325). And you need to be around 250 wh/mi to get that 295 range. You need to count pixels to figure it out. Or get your average to be around 250 wh/mi and you’ll see your current stats line right on top of the reference line and it will label the range as 295.

I’m happy with my AWD range. You can’t look at it like an ICE car. You top off (to 90%) daily.

I think I’ll get around 230 wh/mi or better this summer. Even with no heat the difference in 50F and 70F out seems to be significant. But stupid weather has been hanging around 50F for like 2 months now.

A lot of depends on the type of driving you do. Around town (the bulk of my regular driving), I can easily hit 170-190 wh/mi. I take my time on road trips, largely driving the speed limit (65 here, with stretches of 55 where I'll usually do 60), and 200-210 wh/mi is no problem. I consistently push beyond the rated range of my SR+ and have not charged above 90% yet (but would do so if I needed to). I came from owning a Leaf, so I'm used to maximizing range and also keep heat/AC off unless really needed (AC is needed for most of the summer here, but I can get by without heat almost all the time, particularly if I use the seat heaters). I have no problem getting down to the single digits of battery capacity on a road trip if needed. To me, having access to precise consumption data lets me optimize my efficiency, which I enjoy just as much as exploring the power and responsiveness of the car from time to time.

For folks who are doing a lot of fast highway driving, then the experience will be completely different.

Reactions: Russell and KJD
I have a RWD LR Model 3 - I rarely take long trips, but I top off to 85% daily - that seems perfectly safe from what Tesla has put out. For a long trip, I move the slider right to 100% - that has also been said by Tesla to be the correct thing for long trips. So I leave the house full charged.

If you're nervous about driving, use the energy graph to see what my projected range is.

In the depths of winter here in Michigan, I lost about 40% range, but now that it's warmer (50s mostly) I'm getting rated range most of the time.

The same stuff happens in a gas car, it's just with gas stations on every corner or highway exit, you don't notice it.

Your wrong. Range is the max. You can charge to 100% by your logic my LR model3s only have less than 100 mile ranges. I charge to 279 and recharge at end of day at 180 miles left.

Not once did I see you mention the speed that you drive. Keep it below 65 and you should easily hit the numbers.
Also make sure that you have 18 wheels with aero covers on.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
Just about to order the LR AWD, and getting a little nervous based on some of these threads.
Assuming I stick with the 18' tires with aero, I'm only losing around 20 miles or to to the RWD, yes?

I have come to a conclusion that the only time I am going to baby my drive is if I am needing to stretch my avail range on long trips. Since I plug in every night I am not as worried on my avail range on my RWD Long range during my everyday drive. I am averaging approx 200-210 miles at 90% and I hover around 300-380 wh/mi. I really have not changed the way I drive and I tend to hover 75-80 on highway with no heat but AC most of the time running and with the current weather and terrain I get the average I have listed. I have babied the way I drive and limited speed and other factors put into place with my 19" and I have gotten it down to approx 230 wh/mi. But I go nuts driving in that fashion. :)

I don't know why you would include reserved battery as not part of your range.
I have come to a conclusion that the only time I am going to baby my drive is if I am needing to stretch my avail range on long trips. Since I plug in every night I am not as worried on my avail range on my RWD Long range during my everyday drive. I am averaging approx 200-210 miles at 90% and I hover around 300-380 wh/mi. I really have not changed the way I drive and I tend to hover 75-80 on highway with no heat but AC most of the time running and with the current weather and terrain I get the average I have listed. I have babied the way I drive and limited speed and other factors put into place with my 19" and I have gotten it down to approx 230 wh/mi. But I go nuts driving in that fashion. :)
380Whmiles is high. I'm at 360 which is higher than most other Performance owners from what I've seen.

380Whmiles is high. I'm at 360 which is higher than most other Performance owners from what I've seen.

I am currently at 358wh/mi. I think my biggest issue is the SPEED I drive. I am not a slow driver and I have seen that being my biggest issue. The second is where I live is very hilly and for the last approx 15 min of my drive home tends to be doing a gradual uphill climb on the freeway and then on the side streets ending at approx 1100 elevation by the time I get home. I use to keep it in Chill mode and gave up on that since it's setting had low impact on my total efficiency since most of my hit is the hills and my speed at which I drive. One thing I am needing to try and resolve which I am not 100% sure if it plays into the total efficiency is my phantom drain. I am averaging .62. It use to be a lot lower and it got as high as .88 but now hovering at .6. I no longer use teslafi but do use the stats app. I have done all the resetting account passwords, logging out etc and it has not made any difference using or not using the 3rd party app. So I have kept Stats active.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Just about to order the LR AWD, and getting a little nervous based on some of these threads.
Assuming I stick with the 18' tires with aero, I'm only losing around 20 miles or to to the RWD, yes?

See this chart. Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com t will answer your questions dependign on how fast you drive.

LR RWD EPA should be 332
AWD Aero EPA should be 309
AWD 19" EPA should be 280

So... RWD to AWD is a 23 mile penalty
18" Aero to 19' is another 29 mile penalty.

This matches what I see. Also not that on the LR RWD, going form cruising at 60 to cruising at 80 drops range from 381 to 270. I haven't tested my car. I just know there is a big difference between 75 and 85. The fastest way to get somewhere is often to drive slower and skip a supercharger.

I have LR AWD and just gave up on the mileage and changed it to a % indicator. I just equate 10% is 25 miles. So, at 80% I have about 200 miles range, 20% is 50 miles range. It works out pretty close, over 16,000 miles my average is 301 w/miles... It has improved since the weather has gotten warmer. It was up to 310 during the winter...

Notes: I have 19" wheels and most speed limits are 75MPH and I do 95%+ highway driving.

Reactions: Lobstahz and mrau
A lot of depends on the type of driving you do. Around town (the bulk of my regular driving), I can easily hit 170-190 wh/mi. I take my time on road trips, largely driving the speed limit (65 here, with stretches of 55 where I'll usually do 60), and 200-210 wh/mi is no problem. I consistently push beyond the rated range of my SR+ and have not charged above 90% yet (but would do so if I needed to). I came from owning a Leaf, so I'm used to maximizing range and also keep heat/AC off unless really needed (AC is needed for most of the summer here, but I can get by without heat almost all the time, particularly if I use the seat heaters). I have no problem getting down to the single digits of battery capacity on a road trip if needed. To me, having access to precise consumption data lets me optimize my efficiency, which I enjoy just as much as exploring the power and responsiveness of the car from time to time.

For folks who are doing a lot of fast highway driving, then the experience will be completely different.
I live in the middle of Texas out in the country. City driving of more than 10 miles a day is rare for me. I keep my speed down to 65 or less. The best I can get is about 240 watts. I havev18" wheels with covers.

Agreed, I have the P and my lifetime Whr/mi is ~310 (it's current dropping) and most of the miles I've driven have been cold weather.

In freezing conditions @70mph with some cabin heat (65f) and seat heating, I'll get 330 - 350Whr/mi Whr/mi more or less depending on wind speeds. In the summer, with A/C rather than heat, that's more like 270 Whr/mi. Drop the speed to 65 and I can just about get the full EPA range, around town I can beat it.

Reactions: Dads-reward