Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my model 3 long range I took it on a 220 mile road trip. Started at a full charge put it in the navigation and even though my battery said 350 miles the navigation said I would only have 4% battery when I reached my house.I made it about half way stoped at a super charger and added 100 miles and just barely made it home with 10 miles to spare . I did drive it at around 80-90 mph but that’s still half of the estimated 450 miles I should of made it home with miles to spare? If I would of only drove it at 50-60 mph would it make that much of a difference?

Between 60 and 90mph, you probably double the air resistance. Since most of the rest is very efficient, that's where most of the consumption comes. Going from 60 to 90mph probably close to doubles consumption. Yes, it would have made a huge difference. For the rest, the details etc there are plenty of threads you can read around here.

EDIT: Adding one article that you might find interesting: Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)

Upvote 0
I just got my model 3 long range I took it on a 220 mile road trip. Started at a full charge put it in the navigation and even though my battery said 350 miles the navigation said I would only have 4% battery when I reached my house.I made it about half way stoped at a super charger and added 100 miles and just barely made it home with 10 miles to spare . I did drive it at around 80-90 mph but that’s still half of the estimated 450 miles I should of made it home with miles to spare? If I would of only drove it at 50-60 mph would it make that much of a difference?
No surprise here. You can get close to EPA range at 65 mph when it is 75 - 80F outside, with not much headwind.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder about these questions... I generally give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but come on, everyone knows even in an ICE that going slower will dramatically improve fuel economy, and that EPA estimates are generally optimistic relative to extreme highway speeds. Duh! I mean 90mph, are we supposed to take this question seriously?

Upvote 0
Is there a 90 mph speed limit in USA? or were you in the Highlands in Scotland? :D Inverness?

Image result for is it legal anywhere in the United States to drive 90 mph? 2022

The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130, a toll road that bypasses the Austin metropolitan area for long-distance traffic.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder about these questions... I generally give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but come on, everyone knows even in an ICE that going slower will dramatically improve fuel economy, and that EPA estimates are generally optimistic relative to extreme highway speeds. Duh! I mean 90mph, are we supposed to take this question seriously?
I mean, in all fairness, the "hit" on your range in an ICE car for going that fast isn't really that noticeable to most people.

Upvote 0
I think there is a section in Montana with no speed limit. Any speed that is considered safe

got removed now so its 120km/h. But for ages the max fine was i think 5 dollars and no points or smth.
And even now some cops (?) believe in derestriction and dont really pully you over if you behave... maye someone from the area can shed more light on it.

Upvote 0
I mean, in all fairness, the "hit" on your range in an ICE car for going that fast isn't really that noticeable to most people.
Ahem.
That was my post about noticing how our Honda Civic Hybrid lost 29% of its mpg from going 80 mph on a trip. That's a pretty noticeable hit.

Upvote 0