Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rattle/Squeak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3 and it has started making this intermittent sound from the back seat, it sounds like a sort of high pitch tap/rattle (
)

One thing I have figured out is that the noise stops if I unlatch and relatch the rear passenger side back set, it then seems to come back a few days later. I've tried adding felt tape to the metal section the latch hooks onto but that doesn't seem to have stopped it, has anyone else heard a similar sound to this or have any ideas?

I’m just over a week with my M3 and I’ve got a rattle in the back as well. I should try to see if it’s the seat latch but it sounds a lot like the back deck rattle I had in my Acura. I’ll post here once I diagnose. Frustrating to have to root a rattle out right away but the car is still amazing.

My car has this exact sound. I've noticed I can make the same sound by pulling up and down on the seat back when it is in the down position, so I don't think it is in the latch. It seems to be in the pivot point between the bench and backrest. Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat back cover? I can't see how to get to the pivoting mechanism without removal of the cover.

This is correct, There is a small metal cylinder that connects the smaller back seat to the larger back seat, it goes through this metal loop/hook that is welded to the body. There is some kind of plastic washer in there. When you go over bumps the larger seat shifts left to right causing the plastic on metal squeak.

This is correct, There is a small metal cylinder that connects the smaller back seat to the larger back seat, it goes through this metal loop/hook that is welded to the body. There is some kind of plastic washer in there. When you go over bumps the larger seat shifts left to right causing the plastic on metal squeak.
I'm having the same issue on my 21 M3. The sound goes away when either of the back seats are down. I also noticed that If I wedge a small towel in between the rear seatbacks (the vertical crack that separates the two seats) the sound also goes away. Where is this small metal cylinder that connects the smaller back to the larger one?

2021 Model 3 here.. I too have this same exact noise, and I also think it's coming from the cylinder. The sound stops whenever either:

1. The seats are down.
2. Someone is sitting in the back.
3. Temporarily, if I spray silicone WD-40 into the cylinder.

Have yet to find a permanent fix. I will say the overall seat installation is lackluster at best. I've never seen a rear car seat wiggle left-to-right so much. The little cylinder holding the seats together is an absolute joke.

I'm having the same issue on my 21 M3. The sound goes away when either of the back seats are down. I also noticed that If I wedge a small towel in between the rear seatbacks (the vertical crack that separates the two seats) the sound also goes away. Where is this small metal cylinder that connects the smaller back to the larger one?
I believe you have to put the larger seat down, climb on top of it, then dig in with your hand and spread apart the material. It's a pain in the ass to get to the cylinder, let alone do anything with it.

This video details the issues pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss71 and jacie6056
So I checked out my car just now and sure enough, this is exactly what is making the noise.

Here you can see the damn piece of plastic slipped off:
2022-03-10 01_30_28.png

From the driver side rear door, I removed the panel near the seatbelt (pull from the bottom), then I unplugged the cable and removed the two bolts circled in red.

2022-03-10 01_32_34.png

Once you get these loose, lift the back up slightly and pull towards yourself. You'll pull the pin out. The plastic bit should be jammed inside the other seat. Pull it out and clip it back on.
2022-03-10 01_34_40.png

I have no idea why this thing slipped off. Maybe due to seat vibrations? Prior to fixing the cylinder, I noticed that putting tape around the latch hinges for a more snug fit reduces the amount of squeaking a little bit, which should hopefully mean reducing overall vibrations in the seat back. I ended up keeping the hinges taped up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss71