Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Rattling rear deck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for me there were some pannels fit wrongly.

as well i have installed felt tape on the side of the seats just to avoid the PVC leather rubbing.

i have been to SCs for like 5 times regarding rattles at the back, had some videos taken and now they managed to sort it in the end. you need to have someone in a back with camera to pin-point the rattle and then show it for the service centre staff in order to fix it (if under warranty)

but new rattle appeared (have suspicion where from).. oh joy..

for me there were some pannels fit wrongly.

as well i have installed felt tape on the side of the seats just to avoid the PVC leather rubbing.

i have been to SCs for like 5 times regarding rattles at the back, had some videos taken and now they managed to sort it in the end. you need to have someone in a back with camera to pin-point the rattle and then show it for the service centre staff in order to fix it (if under warranty)

but new rattle appeared (have suspicion where from).. oh joy..
Don't leave us hanging! Finish the comment. How did they fix it?

Hey everyone,

I am going crazy with this rattle from the rear deck!
I've narrowed it down already:
  • NOT coming from the seats (if I fold them down it makes no difference)
  • NOT coming from the trunk (if I fold both seats and climb in there, I cannot hear it at all)
  • Somewhere middle to passenger side
Instead of describing the noise, I recorded it with my phone:

I already went to the service center twice but nothing changed and it looks like they never even took the rear shelf out! :(
I have similar issue and its 90% fixed. Ok under your parcel shelf, there's an insulation piece that should be glued to the parcel shelf. In my case it came apart and you can see factory silicone lines...i added silicone across almost entire perimeter except corners and that's why it's 90% fixed. So i will need several other pieces of interior trim to get to it.

I now have another rattle coming from the back edge of parcel shelf. When i press on it, it squeaks like crazy. I will try to take the parcel shelf apart in the next two weeks and see what's up.

I have rattles everywhere. I have never seen such a terrible build quality ever but then ive never owned an American car.

I have similar issue and its 90% fixed. Ok under your parcel shelf, there's an insulation piece that should be glued to the parcel shelf. In my case it came apart and you can see factory silicone lines...i added silicone across almost entire perimeter except corners and that's why it's 90% fixed. So i will need several other pieces of interior trim to get to it.

I now have another rattle coming from the back edge of parcel shelf. When i press on it, it squeaks like crazy. I will try to take the parcel shelf apart in the next two weeks and see what's up.

I have rattles everywhere. I have never seen such a terrible build quality ever but then ive never owned an American car.
How did you add the silicon? Do I need to remove the entire trim?

Hi all!
I want to share with you two simple solutions that I applied to my 2022 model 3 to stop rear rattling.

The first rattling came from the central hinge of the rear seat backrest, that has a huge backlash leaving the seat rattle at low speeds.
To avoid this I put a small plank (1.5 cm thickness X 30 cm length) covered by adhesive car carpeting.

View attachment 872246This completely stopped the rattling.
The only small downside is that I have to put in place the plank every time I fold down the seats (not a real issue for me).
Hey all, I managed to reproduce the rattles from the rear passenger seat, and the rattles disappeared after following the fix from Post #32.

There is a small gap that hold the seats together. By putting a hard object in between pushes the seat forward, and it prevents the rattle when you go over a bump or bumpy roads.

Thanks!