Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Rattling rear deck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am going crazy with this rattle from the rear deck!
I've narrowed it down already:
  • NOT coming from the seats (if I fold them down it makes no difference)
  • NOT coming from the trunk (if I fold both seats and climb in there, I cannot hear it at all)
  • Somewhere middle to passenger side
Instead of describing the noise, I recorded it with my phone:

I already went to the service center twice but nothing changed and it looks like they never even took the rear shelf out! :(

Hey everyone,

I am going crazy with this rattle from the rear deck!
I've narrowed it down already:
  • NOT coming from the seats (if I fold them down it makes no difference)
  • NOT coming from the trunk (if I fold both seats and climb in there, I cannot hear it at all)
  • Somewhere middle to passenger side
Instead of describing the noise, I recorded it with my phone:

I already went to the service center twice but nothing changed and it looks like they never even took the rear shelf out! :(
Whoa, that’s really bad! I get a deck noise like this but it comes and goes and seems temp related so something is expanding or contracting. Whenever some warmer weather finally arrives to the upper Midwest, I’m going to try and solve this, a passenger seat creak that is unbearable and a random dash rattle. Yay.

I think mines is doing the same as due to clearance between the trunk and where it rests when closed.
There are two little rubber screw in dampers, one each side. I increased height of them which hped
Uh nice, I will try that. Maybe I can also try some felt tape there first in order to check if it helps. But unfortunately I am still pretty sure that the sound is coming from between the speaker grille and the metal that separates trunk from cabin. Somewhere there must be a cable or clip or something rattling against glass or metal. Because if it was the trunk lid I think I would've heard it even louder when being in the trunk while driving (MY WIFE driving!! No autopilot backseat nonsense! :D). But I will try it! :) I am pretty desperate with this noise by now so I appreciate any ideas! -_-

Whoa, that’s really bad! I get a deck noise like this but it comes and goes and seems temp related so something is expanding or contracting. Whenever some warmer weather finally arrives to the upper Midwest, I’m going to try and solve this, a passenger seat creak that is unbearable and a random dash rattle. Yay.
Yeah it also seems the same here but only rattles when it's cold.

I am still looking for ideas / similar problems since I already went to the SC twice and they were not able to find/fix it.

I’m not sure if it’s the same but a friend of mine with an M3LR had the same issue. There were 2 parts rattling together underneath. I believe the floor pan was tapping on something else. They put some sealant between the 2 and it solved the problem.

I’m not sure if it’s the same but a friend of mine with an M3LR had the same issue. There were 2 parts rattling together underneath. I believe the floor pan was tapping on something else. They put some sealant between the 2 and it solved the problem.
Your description matches my problem very well! :O
If at least I could replicate the noise while the car was stationary... -_-

For stuff like that I usually put a minion in the back (my son) and have him start pressing on panels to see what makes it go away while I drive. I would suggest checking the middle roof crossmember, rear of the headliner, and different areas of the back deck lid. Just press down in various spots and when it goes away, lighten the amount you are pressing until you can find the spot where you have to put the least pressure to stop it and it'll be near that area. Sometimes just having someone sit in the back will make it go away: if it's the seat.

Mike

Reactions: akidesir
I think mines is doing the same as due to clearance between the trunk and where it rests when closed.
There are two little rubber screw in dampers, one each side. I increased height of them which hped
I opened the trunk and put some like 2mm felt tape on these rubber screws on each side.
I am not 100% sure yet, but I already did a few drives and this might actually have fixed it!!! :O Will report in again with pictures as soon as I am more sure.

Reactions: ss71
I attached
Think I’m having the same rattling. Can you post pics of where u taped?
I attached photos. :)
I actually only put approx. 2mm thick felt tape onto both lower bumpers and didn't change/adjust anything else. But as you can see, the felt has quite an imprint on it and is compressed. But yeah, meanwhile I am very certain that this fixed it which is absolutely brilliant! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3306 Groß.jpeg
    IMG_3306 Groß.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_3307 Groß.jpeg
    IMG_3307 Groß.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_3308 Groß.jpeg
    IMG_3308 Groß.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 594
Reactions: Jpz916
It's the rear deck itself that rattles. When you take it off you will see why. It's held in with three plastic pegs that slide forward into holes. The holes are metal the pegs have a lot of room.

To see if your problem is the pegs try jamming a cloth in between the rear window and deck. See if the noise goes away.

Reactions: rpiotro and Jpz916
Actually in my case it was not only what I posted but the two thumb-like bumpers that have springs which you see when you open the trunk.
If you push those in hard, it rattles against the trunk lid.
So i removed them, put felt-rings underneath the springs and now the rattle has been gone for weeks! :)

This is actually why my solution from above worked: the felt introduced a little more distance which results in these thumb-size spring bumpers not hitting the metal as often - but still sometimes. Felting these directly, however, got rid of the problem completely! :)

Actually in my case it was not only what I posted but the two thumb-like bumpers that have springs which you see when you open the trunk.
So i removed them, put felt-rings underneath the springs and now the rattle has been gone for weeks! :)

This is actually why my solution from above worked: the felt introduced a little more distance which results in these thumb-size spring bumpers not hitting the metal as often - but still sometimes. Felting these directly, however, got rid of the problem completely! :)
Where exactly are these bumpers you are referring to? Pictures please.

Can you post pics for this fix? Having same issue.

Thank you.