Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Rattling rear deck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, too, have been plagued by this squeaky/rattling noise coming from the right rear of my 2022 M3 LR. Sounds to me like the crackling from a fire or the distant popcorn popping is the best way to describe it. At first, I thought it may be the seats rubbing together or against the rear door and have tried placing some cloths in the cracks between the seats without much luck. Yesterday, my wife was seated in the back looking for the origin of this sound and thought perhaps it will coming from the trunk latch. But she also noticed some wires hangin down on either side of the trunk light slots and pushed them upward into the elongated slots. These wires are also very visible in the same area but on the driver's side. After pushing the passenger side wires up further into these trunk light slots the noise seemed to be reduced. Am also going to evaluate the trunk lid bumper locations on both sides and see if an adjustment in height would help as suggested in a previous note. Planning a long road trip in this vehicle very soon and would like to not be tortured any further with this mystery sound. Any idea how to remove the thin side pieces on the sides of the trunk to better secure these wires?

Jesus Christ...

I thought I am going mad. Worst thing is that I had 2 separate rangers sitting in my and driving, and probably due to weather rattles were gone.

Will try both the sock and the felt tape on pegs method to sort this thing out... As otherwise I will be placed in asylum...

Jesus Christ...

I thought I am going mad. Worst thing is that I had 2 separate rangers sitting in my and driving, and probably due to weather rattles were gone.

Will try both the sock and the felt tape on pegs method to sort this thing out... As otherwise I will be placed in asylum...
Join the club. I’ve gone mad tearing apart pretty much entire rear of car from back seats to trunk and haven’t found source yet. Tried every fix so far found online. LoL. Wife’s tired of seeing me tweak on this and I’ve pretty much given up. Just turning the volume up on the radio for now unless any new fix pops up.

Join the club. I’ve gone mad tearing apart pretty much entire rear of car from back seats to trunk and haven’t found source yet. Tried every fix so far found online. LoL. Wife’s tired of seeing me tweak on this and I’ve pretty much given up. Just turning the volume up on the radio for now unless any new fix pops up.
actually, this is where the thing becomes INTERESTING:

I cannot access the bottom of the shelve as it is covered with metal plate. so I cannot do thing with socks like in the link on the post #4
1665586562076.png

Also, it looks like mine is not caused by the rear shelve but something else.

So I took my mate, he was driving and I was listening.

But what I found was following:
a) there is a panel which wedges between left side rear seat (I am in UK, so the "passenger" side, in rest of the world this would be driver side)m which has 1 clip broken. This most probably cause some panel movement.
b) since seats fold in 2/1 split, the narrower part has some strange movement/flex rattle an the bottom hinge. If I fold the seat, and place my hand near that hinge, I can even FEEL when it rattles, not only only hear. these is considerable flex on it which should not be there...

So I got the ranger to check both those items - looks like parts needs to be ordered and Service Centre appointment is required. as per repair invoice:
Carried out road test with customer confirmed noise from second row seat. Upon closer inspection found side to side movement of 40 seat (single seat). Attempted to tighten outer offside 13mm bolt. Movement still present. Noise is believed to be cause by this movement. To be scheduled at service center for closer inspection.
keeping fingers crossed

I cannot access the bottom of the shelve as it is covered with metal plate. so I cannot do thing with socks like in the link on the post #4
View attachment 863030

a) there is a panel which wedges between left side rear seat (I am in UK, so the "passenger" side, in rest of the world this would be driver side)m which has 1 clip broken. This most probably cause some panel movement.
b) since seats fold in 2/1 split, the narrower part has some strange movement/flex rattle an the bottom hinge. If I fold the seat, and place my hand near that hinge, I can even FEEL when it rattles, not only only hear. these is considerable flex on it which should not be there...

So I got the ranger to check both those items - looks like parts needs to be ordered and Service Centre appointment is required. as per repair invoice:

keeping fingers crossed

Just fyi, The top of the back deck comes off. It slides forward after you take some clips and panels off. It's pretty much just sitting on top of that sheet metal.

Model 3s from 2020 on don't have a passthrough hole in the trunk.

Reactions: yessuz

View attachment 863030

keeping fingers crossed
Any update on this?

Hi all!
I want to share with you two simple solutions that I applied to my 2022 model 3 to stop rear rattling.

The first rattling came from the central hinge of the rear seat backrest, that has a huge backlash leaving the seat rattle at low speeds.
To avoid this I put a small plank (1.5 cm thickness X 30 cm length) covered by adhesive car carpeting.

IMG-20221107-WA0001.jpg
This completely stopped the rattling.
The only small downside is that I have to put in place the plank every time I fold down the seats (not a real issue for me).

The second rattling, in fact more a vibration than a rattle, came from the parcel shelf.
I first tried to put some foam in the middle of the panel, between the metal and the plastic/fabric layers (I just accessed the space between the two layers unlocking the two snap buttons just where the rear backrest lies when up), but the vibration stayed here.
So I took a piece of three-core electrical cable (10 mm diameter), around 40 cm length, and I rolled it up with two layers of the same adhesive car carpeting that I used before, then I pressed it (with my bare fingers) in the small rail between the parcel shelf and the rear window:

IMG-20221107-WA0002.jpg

This is completely invisible from the exterior (and almost from the interior) because it blends with the black of the window frame.
But, the important thing, it fully cancelled the noisy vibration.

I hope my ideas be useful for you.

Michele

Hi all!
I want to share with you two simple solutions that I applied to my 2022 model 3 to stop rear rattling.

The first rattling came from the central hinge of the rear seat backrest, that has a huge backlash leaving the seat rattle at low speeds.
To avoid this I put a small plank (1.5 cm thickness X 30 cm length) covered by adhesive car carpeting.

View attachment 872246This completely stopped the rattling.
The only small downside is that I have to put in place the plank every time I fold down the seats (not a real issue for me).

The second rattling, in fact more a vibration than a rattle, came from the parcel shelf.
I first tried to put some foam in the middle of the panel, between the metal and the plastic/fabric layers (I just accessed the space between the two layers unlocking the two snap buttons just where the rear backrest lies when up), but the vibration stayed here.
So I took a piece of three-core electrical cable (10 mm diameter), around 40 cm length, and I rolled it up with two layers of the same adhesive car carpeting that I used before, then I pressed it (with my bare fingers) in the small rail between the parcel shelf and the rear window:

View attachment 872249

This is completely invisible from the exterior (and almost from the interior) because it blends with the black of the window frame.

Michele
Not sure I follow the first step you did with the plank but the second one... you're putting that piece right above the center brake light housing, between the rear deck and the rear glass, correct? I should give that a try in my 2021 Model 3. I did this exact same thing in my last car (2007 Acura TL-S) and it solved the rear deck rattle there as well. In that case, I used foam backer rod to fit the space but it tended to come loose over time. The adhesive carpeting you used might provide a bit more long term grip to stay in place.

Hi all!

View attachment 872246This completely stopped the rattling.
I have a service appointment for that!!! it was pushed to mid november! Ranger identified this rattle, which comes from the hinge (you can even SEE how it rattles when seat is folded!) - you should not be taking such measure while car is in warranty!

View attachment 872249

Michele
Again, this should be a service appointment!

Not sure I follow the first step you did with the plank but the second one... you're putting that piece right above the center brake light housing, between the rear deck and the rear glass, correct? I should give that a try in my 2021 Model 3. I did this exact same thing in my last car (2007 Acura TL-S) and it solved the rear deck rattle there as well. In that case, I used foam backer rod to fit the space but it tended to come loose over time. The adhesive carpeting you used might provide a bit more long term grip to stay in place.
I put the small covered plank between the bottom backseat and the floor of the trunk.
This keeps the backseat fixed during a drive, preventing it from rattling.

As you tried with you previous car I just tried with some rolled up foam, but it had not enough strength to fully stop the vibration.
The cylindrical core that I created with a piece of cable strongly press down the shelf, preventing it from vibrating.
The carpeting hides the cable and adds an "absorption" later.
The whole thing stay easily in place, because the shelf itself has a groove just behind the black window painted frame, above the stop light.
No way to accidentally push the "roll" over the light.

I have a service appointment for that!!! it was pushed to mid november! Ranger identified this rattle, which comes from the hinge (you can even SEE how it rattles when seat is folded!) - you should not be taking such measure while car is in warranty!

Again, this should be a service appointment!
You are right but the nearest service center is 150 km from my home: I already had an appointment in July and they solved a prominent rattle from the rear suspensions, then they said that other "minor" internal rattling are normal for an electric car... I don't agree, but at the time I had no way to immediately test again the car.
Now my car is completely silent: since I did not modified anything of my car, I can easily remove everything at the next service appointment.

I put the small covered plank between the bottom backseat and the floor of the trunk.
This keeps the backseat fixed during a drive, preventing it from rattling.

As you tried with you previous car I just tried with some rolled up foam, but it had not enough strength to fully stop the vibration.
The cylindrical core that I created with a piece of cable strongly press down the shelf, preventing it from vibrating.
The carpeting hides the cable and adds an "absorption" later.
The whole thing stay easily in place, because the shelf itself has a groove just behind the black window painted frame, above the stop light.
No way to accidentally push the "roll" over the light.

You are right but the nearest service center is 150 km from my home: I already had an appointment in July and they solved a prominent rattle from the rear suspensions, then they said that other "minor" internal rattling are normal for an electric car... I don't agree, but at the time I had no way to immediately test again the car.
Now my car is completely silent: since I did not modified anything of my car, I can easily remove everything at the next service appointment.
Any time they say it's "normal" I point to the next available 19 reg model 3 which is a loaner vehicle, which covered like 50k miles and is solid without a single rattle.

by the way, ranger tried to tighten the bolt/hinge but could not fix it and booked an appointment with spare part replacement.
his words were: "good catch on this one!"
It might be I am getting whole new rear seat...

Any time they say it's "normal" I point to the next available 19 reg model 3 which is a loaner vehicle, which covered like 50k miles and is solid without a single rattle.

by the way, ranger tried to tighten the bolt/hinge but could not fix it and booked an appointment with spare part replacement.
his words were: "good catch on this one!"
It might be I am getting whole new rear seat...
Did you ever get this fixed?

Did you ever get this fixed?
Partially.

The rattle, at least in my case, comes from the stupid tesla decisions :D

For new models they started to use "vegan" leather, which is plastic. The rear seat is 60/40 split, and at the split you have the sort of bolt/hinge. Due to the fact that morons are being allowed to "engineer" at tesla, the retainer for the hinge is larger diameter than then hinge/bolt itself and due to this, there is a flexibility, therefore seats have tiny movement and rubs each other.

this video might help to understand the problem:

You can try to put some microfiber cloths between seats in order to find/identify where the rubbings occurs...

I got something at my rear seats replaced at Service centre after like 10 appointments, however another small rattle is still there I am fed up with it and waiting for a good weather to add some bloody felt tape once I will stand up off my arse and will find the source...

Reactions: santua
Partially.

The rattle, at least in my case, comes from the stupid tesla decisions :D

For new models they started to use "vegan" leather, which is plastic. The rear seat is 60/40 split, and at the split you have the sort of bolt/hinge. Due to the fact that morons are being allowed to "engineer" at tesla, the retainer for the hinge is larger diameter than then hinge/bolt itself and due to this, there is a flexibility, therefore seats have tiny movement and rubs each other.

this video might help to understand the problem:

You can try to put some microfiber cloths between seats in order to find/identify where the rubbings occurs...

I got something at my rear seats replaced at Service centre after like 10 appointments, however another small rattle is still there I am fed up with it and waiting for a good weather to add some bloody felt tape once I will stand up off my arse and will find the source...
I tried this fix didn’t work. Did it go away for you and if so, what fixed it?