Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)
I think that solar car roof is actually coming. And if it's coming to the Model 3, it'll be released on the S/X, too.

He did say "probably" will have solar roofs, which is a heck more certain than our poor HUD was.

EDIT: another pic!

imfj22ihqezy.jpg

Maybe roof rack mounts? Source, /u/slipslopoopy.

My God that car is Gorgeous! My kayaks will LOVE cruisin' on that roof to the Lake!!! Yesssssssssssss........oh Baby!!!!

Ski

I think that solar car roof is actually coming. And if it's coming to the Model 3, it'll be released on the S/X, too.

He did say "probably" will have solar roofs, which is a heck more certain than our poor HUD was.

EDIT: another pic!

imfj22ihqezy.jpg

Maybe roof rack mounts? Source, /u/slipslopoopy.
Could it be that Tesla also is testning how the powertrain and car will behave with a higher center of mass wish it will have in Model Y? For some years ago this picture was around and it was expected to test Model X on a Model S as I understood it,

wp_20140220_19_29_47_pro-jpg.43787

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... I had been typing this when your post showed up:

I recall a sighting long ago of a model S with a similar metal contraption on the roof. At that time people speculated that they were trying to simulate the more top heavy weight of a Model X chassis...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... I had been typing this when your post showed up:

I recall a sighting long ago of a model S with a similar metal contraption on the roof. At that time people speculated that they were trying to simulate the more top heavy weight of a Model X chassis...

While that sounds completely legit and plausible, I don't think they have time to be doing Model Y R+D yet. I think this is testing both the roof racks, and the effect the weight has on the range of a Model 3. IF they're able to use that data to assist them with the Model Y, cool....but they aren't in a position to be using "Model 3 time" on Model Y stuff yet.

It looks like the shadow of the transparent cover of the fog light, on the right side fog light you can see that cover bulges out. But why does it bulge out like this?
View attachment 228319
It's because the light lens on the outer edge actually lines up with the outside edge of the vertical air intake. In other words, it follows the contour of the bumper plastic above it, not the contour below it. Therefore, it overhangs the lower bumper surface toward the outer edge of the lens, whereas it's flush with both the top and bottom surfaces at the inner (pointed) edge of the lens. I hope that made sense. :)

There's a pic or two from the stadium photo shoot where you can see the lens well enough to see this (barely). Although, it's not obvious that's how it looks from most of the more distant shots. This just happens to be the first shot with a light colored car with the light coming from high enough up to see a shadow from the lens overhang.