Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30t7ti0pwb0z.jpg

Woof.

That whole dashboard area. Barf.

Here's hoping we get an option that doesn't look like an ugly wooden plank strewn across a bland dash.

That steering wheel has some sort of trackball like switches on it doesn't it. Maybe capacitive? Nothing like the current S or X switches.
I think you have spotted something that I have not seen anyone else comment on. Here is an enlarged and cropped image of the 3 interior showing the steering wheel. I see two mysterious bumps on the horizontal spokes.

Discuss...

IMG_0277.JPG

Woof.

That whole dashboard area. Barf.

Here's hoping we get an option that doesn't look like an ugly wooden plank strewn across a bland dash.
I seriously like the Model 3 interior. You clearly do not. So not the car for you. Please do not vomit in this thread and ruin it for the rest of us.

I think you have spotted something that I have not seen anyone else comment on. Here is an enlarged and cropped image of the 3 interior showing the steering wheel. I see two mysterious bumps on the horizontal spokes.
Discuss...

A better picture of those bumps (and complete interior) from last year. They are scroll whells / buttons.
This picture doubles as final interior design. Some materials/colors may change, the shape and main style won't.
Silver-Tesla-Model-3-interior-cupholder-touchscreen.jpg

I think the dash looks great. The wood grain adds interest.
I love the wood grain. Especially if its real. I have plans for making that look fabulous.

Would ( no pun intended ) to have wood on the doors somewhere also. If not....I'll make it happen.

It would also be my desire to have the console under the dash removed. I don't understand why that's there. I guess I will know soon enough.

• Funny
Reactions: uuz3 and dndcruz
He's probably talking about defrosters/defoggers for the front door side windows (not the windshield). Windshield defrosters/defoggers are required by federal regulation, so there is no way, no matter how weird the AC system is in the Model 3, to not have a front defroster.

However, defrosters/defoggers for front side windows are not required.

They will have to have a defrost for the windshield, but Tesla sometimes follows form over function, then has to make changes when the performance is poor. The Model S ended up with a retrofit to improve the performance of the defrost since the first minimal-looking system didn't work well in cold areas. I don't have a lot of faith that they won't make similar form over function errors looking at the 3's current interior.

Fogging

I think the wood grain looks dumb, but I've never been a fan of wood in car interiors. Give me a nice solid color like the reveal 3. As for the front defroster, how is everyone not seeing the front, windshield facing vent line? Looks pretty obvious (and normal) to me.
I don't mind the wood - but given that I want a black interior, I'd rather it be a black stained (like the Model S's Dark Ash). But ultimately, if the Carbon Fiber is an option, I plan to choose it

agree on the vents... being that I drive in the rain half the year, with the defroster running most of the time, I am not worried about the vents (people or window facing vents).
I thought a year or so ago there was mention of someone from Dyson coming to Tesla - but in searching now am only finding posts about someone from Tesla going to Dyson instead - so may be remembering wrong...
Either way - I think we will see something like the Dyson fan tech instead of a blade fan to run the HVAC system.

Keep in mind that they could have a nozzle within the slot on the dash that directs air to the front door windows to help defog them. I'm sure that's what they're doing in this case.

C'mon folks, this is Model 3 not S or X! You get a Tesla-emblem towel (silk screened, not embroidered of course!) to "defrost" the windows when needed! :D

What exactly do they have to show the colors at a store?

In addition to possibly seeing a car the color you're interested in, they have painted panels of the various available colors and interior options as well. Not quite as good as seeing the whole car, but gives you a good idea what it looks like. And because I'm on a smartass roll this morning, for Model 3 they'll have a 10 year old PC in the corner where you can look at options via spy shots on Tesla Motors Club (using dial-up, of course!)

Tesla engineers (and those of SpaceX) are very, very good, even world class, at CFD (computational fluid dynamics). They know exactly what the HVAC system will do. I suspect it will be very quiet at even large flow rates, and the air will go exactly where intended. Now whether they have a big enough heat source in the system is another thing; that's a battle with range and cost to some extent.

It's obvious that they have gone with an elegant and simple design by eliminating a lot of normal car features; wiring harnesses around dash boards are always an unholy mess. Much less so with this vehicle. They're providing a light, airy car that will provide its driver with the controls he needs and the information he needs, but in a much simpler to implement form -- there's a reason they're claiming the M3 has a mile less wiring than the MS. Obviously, it looks different, which may not please traditionalists. It took cars 30-40 some years in the beginning of the 20th century to start looking less like carriages and more like streamlined shapes; visual expectations are strong.

Here's what the M3 will offer: a roomy, airy, quiet interior with exceptionally quick acceleration and exceptional highway range, and an unprecedented low price for an electric car, particularly one that isn't a subsidized compliance vehicle. It will have unique long-distance capabilities because of the Tesla built and owned Supercharger network. Autonomous operation to some degree will be optional. And it will sacrifice some tradition and luggage space. Can you live with that?

Last edited:
Tesla engineers (and those of SpaceX) are very, very good, even world class, at CFD (computational fluid dynamics). They know exactly what the HVAC system will do. I suspect it will be very quiet at even large flow rates, and the air will go exactly where intended. Now whether they have a big enough heat source in the system is another thing; that's a battle with range and cost to some extent.

Yes, from the team that designed the Model X 5-seater A/C...

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

I've long since given up the naive notion that Tesla simplifying means they'll also make it work. Sometimes it just means they are simplifying.

I think the wood grain looks dumb, but I've never been a fan of wood in car interiors. Give me a nice solid color like the reveal 3. As for the front defroster, how is everyone not seeing the front, windshield facing vent line? Looks pretty obvious (and normal) to me.

That's the thing, I *like* wood trim on cars. I like the Tesla figured ash (maybe prefer it glossy). But even that i don't think would look good on the 3 if it's just going to be a 2x4 across the dash with no design elements to it whatsoever.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
There are not a lot of great automotive interiors. 2011 BMW 328i... But most of that goodness was on the wheel or the column. The radio is too low, but steering wheel mounted controls solved that.

The high central touch screen solves a lot of what is wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: tomas
That's the thing, I *like* wood trim on cars. I like the Tesla figured ash (maybe prefer it glossy). But even that i don't think would look good on the 3 if it's just going to be a 2x4 across the dash with no design elements to it whatsoever.
I would need to sit in a finished car but in alpha it looked OK at least from the pictures. Not as clean as the white one though.
Tesla-Model-3-10.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-9.jpg

(pics source: New Model 3 part 3 details this spring, Musk promises)