Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017-05-29 CodyJPatton.jpg

posted on twitter by @codyJPatton last night

All glass roofs are heavily tinted, unlike what was shown in the picture you posted.
I don't like tinted. I like the picture. I have a sun roof on my car that I hardly ever open, but it looks almost clear. There must be some kind of film on it that blocks the "hotness" of the sun because the sun does not bake my head. Its rather pleasant.

What's most interesting is that my buddy had his Toyota Camry roof tinted because his head was so hot in the summer and the tint did nothing to help. My head was boiling in his car. So....I'm not sure that pure tint does a whole lot. I suppose it would have to have some kind of "hotness" blocking going on or something.

I don't like tinted. I like the picture. I have a sun roof on my car that I hardly ever open, but it looks almost clear. There must be some kind of film on it that blocks the "hotness" of the sun because the sun does not bake my head. Its rather pleasant.

What's most interesting is that my buddy had his Toyota Camry roof tinted because his head was so hot in the summer and the tint did nothing to help. My head was boiling in his car. So....I'm not sure that pure tint does a whole lot. I suppose it would have to have some kind of "hotness" blocking going on or something.

There is film that blocks IR. The problem is that there's still a lot of energy coming in through the visible spectrum. When you combine the IR/UV rejection with tinting then you have something that's basically transparent-ish from the inside but blocks or reflects a lot of the solar energy coming thus keeping the car cooler than with a clear glass panel and only IR rejection plus some natural UV protection.

IR/UV rejection plus tinting is the best of both worlds while still allowing the occupant to see through it.

They are testing torsional strength of the car body ( as you can see on this picture, on bad roads).
Some hidden test areas in europe have roads with pavement like the Romans build 2000 years ago.

They don't have to go very far, some 20 year old roads here in the Bay Area have pavement like the Romans built 2000 years ago, too!
(Probably worse.)

There is film that blocks IR. The problem is that there's still a lot of energy coming in through the visible spectrum. When you combine the IR/UV rejection with tinting then you have something that's basically transparent-ish from the inside but blocks or reflects a lot of the solar energy coming thus keeping the car cooler than with a clear glass panel and only IR rejection plus some natural UV protection.

IR/UV rejection plus tinting is the best of both worlds while still allowing the occupant to see through it.
Except when it's dark outside and bright inside the car. You'll have the opposite effect. (It wont double as a "moon", "star" or "aurora roof")

They are testing torsional strength of the car body ( as you can see on this picture, on bad roads).
Some hidden test areas in europe have roads with pavement like the Romans build 2000 years ago.

Note to Tesla... This alley (off of Sherwood ave, near Tesla HQ at San Antonio Rd. / El Camino) is a really horrible mess of nasty potholes. If you want to torture a Model 3 RC, you might want to drive it back and forth over there a bit.
alley-2.png