Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're really starting to grow on me as well, especially with the white paint.

This is also one of the better RCs I've seen in terms of panel fit.

Dechrome the trim and replace it with matte black. Pretty sweet combo. I'm still hoping for that Alpha prototype silver color as an option for those who reserved on day one. I know, I know, pipe dream.

Pair of Model 3's I saw the other day. • r/teslamotors

The same white with no right cover...

KPJgMmn.jpg

vB1NloT.jpg

ZZOML4c.jpg
I wonder if they intentionally removed the cover piece to show that, despite speculation, there is no secondary charge port on the passenger side? Somebody at Tesla is having a lot of fun thinking up ways to tease us: Cover something here; don't cover something there; drive around and park at popular tourist sites; drive around the country where no one expects to see you and surprise, surprise, there you are. Now everyone is abuzz and on the lookout for you. Free hype and a way to reveal features (or lack thereof) without formally announcing or committing to them.

Last edited:
I wonder if they intentionally removed the cover piece to show that, despite speculation, there is no secondary charge port on the passenger side? Somebody at Tesla is having a lot of fun thinking up ways to tease us: Cover something here; don't cover something there; drive around and park at popular tourist sites; drive around the country where no one expects to see you and surprise, surprise, there you are. Now everyone is abuzz and on the lookout for you. Free hype and a way to reveal features (or lack thereof) without formally announcing or committing to them.
Like crappy panel alignment?

I believe 100% of what you are indicating.

I don't know how its an advantage to Tesla to tease customers. I just don't get it. That would really be kinda be rude if it turns out to be true.

Reactions: cdub
That's a pretty definitive statement.

Where did you hear that 100% the aero wheels are the base rims?
They are the 18" wheel we've been seeing with the covers on them. So, unless they whip out a totally different 18" wheel for the production cars, these are them.

Also, we know the other wheel is 19", because there were finally pics where you could see the tire size.

As noted above, the spoke design is very similar to the c5 z06:
47983101d1463640294-2002-z06-oem-wheels-with-tires-20160519_010824.jpg

The difference is the bolts are arranged more like the C6 Centennial wheels:
Mich%20Sport%20Cup.jpg

Given previous Daimler investment in Tesla (and Tesla using their parts bin), I decided to google some 5/10 spoke designs from Mercedes and found the 18 inch 2018 AMG CLA45 wheels are the closest in design (spoke angles and bolt location):
2017-CLA-CLA45-AMG-COUPE-035-MCFO.jpg

2018 AMG CLA45 4-Door Coupe | Mercedes-Benz
Which is an evolution of the previous gen design:
17843d1429191884-2015-cla45-amg-good-deal-rim-2.jpg

Last edited:
As noted above, the spoke design is very similar to the c5 z06:

The difference is the bolts are arranged more like the C6 Centennial wheels:

Given Daimler investment in Tesla, I decided to google some 5/10 spoke designs from Mercedes and found the 18 inch 2018 AMG CLA45 wheels are the closest in design (spoke angles and bolt location):

2018 AMG CLA45 4-Door Coupe | Mercedes-Benz
Which is an evolution of the previous gen design:
Those are all great looking wheels, but are clearly not meant to be covered by a full wheel cover as the 18" Model 3 wheels are going to be.

Besides, the aero covers are necessary to hit the .21cd Tesla's shooting for.

Trust me, my heart broke when I saw the first pic of the covers and figured out that they were indeed the covers for the 18" wheels that I loved and thought I was getting (still am).