Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that it isn't a production car? ....:cool:
It looks identical to the RCs seen thus far. Panel fitment is still off, as the passenger door doesn't line up quite right.

I still think there's more to be seen that hasn't been shown yet on the RCs. The front lights still look like there's detail missing. Besides all that, doesn't Elon usually get the first production car?

Any guesses on how the GUI changes in a RHD car? I would assume the left side panel with speed, trunk/frunk/charge port and navigation shortcuts swap to the right side. But what about the settings, music, phone and navigation icons at the bottom? or the clock at the top?

mod3_rc_dash.jpg
The clock has to be at the bottom and all other icons in the middle.
The rest of the screen has to work around that. :eek::D

It looks identical to the RCs seen thus far. Panel fitment is still off, as the passenger door doesn't line up quite right.

I still think there's more to be seen that hasn't been shown yet on the RCs. The front lights still look like there's detail missing. Besides all that, doesn't Elon usually get the first production car?
RC#43? that's pretty old right? like AP1 old :p everything has changed by now

Those look production-ready to me. Not bad when cleaned... actually better than the 18" rim underneath the cowl.
I think one thing I don't like about it is how wide the rims appear to be relative to the tire cross section. I just don't like the "tire is narrower than the rim" look. Plus, it's a lot easier to damage the rim when the tire is narrower than the rim. And the little rim protector flanges on these tires don't look all that large either, making it even easier to damage the rim.

Besides all that, doesn't Elon usually get the first production car?

Not exactly. A different board member got the first deposit check in first to get the first 'production' Model S.

But "first production car" can be a little squishy. Like with Roadsters, some VP prototypes eventually got sold, so a prototype could have been made before the customer production cars.
And they have done stuff with "Founders' series" cars being made in a parallel sequence to the regular production. And "Signaure" series.
I am not sure if they will have VP, Founders', Signature Model 3, or if they will all be "regular production".
In some ways there can be more than one "car #1". There can be multiple with a VIN# that ends ...000001 And Elon doesn't automatically get the first.

I suspect that key people are now trying out the RCs since the engineers have been working frantically to get them production ready, and key decision makers have to agree that it is time to start mass producing them.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman

I was being facetious but I will say I'm pretty sure the production cars will, aside from fixing gaps and such, look pretty much like the RCs we've seen. I don't think there are any surprises coming for the dash, front end or any other part of the car people think is being hidden.

Not exactly. A different board member got the first deposit check in first to get the first 'production' Model S.

But "first production car" can be a little squishy. Like with Roadsters, some VP prototypes eventually got sold, so a prototype could have been made before the customer production cars.
And they have done stuff with "Founders' series" cars being made in a parallel sequence to the regular production. And "Signaure" series.
I am not sure if they will have VP, Founders', Signature Model 3, or if they will all be "regular production".
In some ways there can be more than one "car #1". There can be multiple with a VIN# that ends ...000001 And Elon doesn't automatically get the first.

I suspect that key people are now trying out the RCs since the engineers have been working frantically to get them production ready, and key decision makers have to agree that it is time to start mass producing them.
Am I a bad person for not caring about who gets #1 ?
I only care about the one with my name on it :rolleyes:

Any guesses on how the GUI changes in a RHD car? I would assume the left side panel with speed, trunk/frunk/charge port and navigation shortcuts swap to the right side. But what about the settings, music, phone and navigation icons at the bottom? or the clock at the top?

mod3_rc_dash.jpg

no idea, i would assume that it would just get flipped, HOWEVER, i don't think it is quite so easy. When you have a RHD which gets used by mainly right handed people then you cannot just assume that an easy to use layout with your right hand will work as well with the left hand.

BMW has demonstrated that well with their gesture and drawing control for iDrive. F**** useless in UK/Aus.

edit: the same does not go for left handed people in a left hand drive whatsoever as they often have a degree of aquired ambidexterity compared to a right handed person.

Last edited:
After yesterday's posting about that silver Model 3 in Burbank, I thought I'd take a drive as it's only a few minutes away from me. Low and behold, as I'm pulling past the Tesla store, it's coming out of the service driveway!!! I followed for about 10 minutes, nearly ending the lives of poor innocents in the name of advancing model 3 spy shots. As a person who has seen every model 3 sighting post on this and other forums, actually seeing one in person proves what others have said. Pictures just don't do it justice. Either I'm going soft or those ridiculous Aero rims are starting to grow on me. (Shudders!) Either way, I'm glad I can finally contribute to the collection. :D

side_m3_silver_burbank.jpg

side_m3_silver_burbank.jpg
3quater_rear_01.JPG
3quarter_rear_02.JPG
behind_shot.JPG
Rear.JPG

How come it seems as if the newer ones don't have the numbers on the rear right window. All the release candidates up to I believe 88 had the numbers on the the side, but as of late, we are seeing some without? Perhaps, those were rolled off the factory floor in mini scale production.

Several questions:

What's with the black tape going from the rear wheel wells (both sides) into the lower rear edge of the rear doors?
What are the two devices mounted on the right side of the roof with cables going into the trunk area?
Why are the windows down? It's hot as hell in SoCal now. Even the photog kept his windows up...

In the spirit of wild TMC speculation...what if Tesla is taking a few dozen of the RC cars and placing them in every country Tesla currently sells in so that they will be unveiled on the day of the final Model 3 reveal in late July as a global marketing promotion message: "The Model 3 is now in production and you can go see one and get a test ride and make a reservation!" That would make a huge impact and really drive up the reservation count.

I think it unlikely that Tesla would fly a Model 3 all the way to New Zealand in search of snow and ice for winter testing or just for a promo shoot (with CGI you don't need to go so far just to show a car in the snow ;)
Model 3 Spotted in New Zealand!
View attachment 232787 View attachment 232788

Note that it is left hand drive so its probably for a promo shoot.