Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a lot of pics of the white spotted in bakersfield, including closeups of the aeros: Another Model 3 spotted in Bakersfield, CA!

Interesting VIN number, does that mean they made at least 316 RCs?

full

Last edited:
I don't know what FRCS means, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with Founder's cars. Elon has said there will be no Founder's or Signature versions of the Model 3. It might be an added button to engage some kind of test system installed on the car. They are doing all sorts of data collection with the RC cars and that's why people are seeing them around. Those cars almost certainly have extra instruments installed that monitor and/or impose conditions on the car for various tests. These conditions could be simulating equipment failure (say disabling one camera in the AP system to see how the system recovers) or simulating some kind of condition the car might face in the real world, like making the heating from the July sun in Bakersfield even worse to see how the instruments respond.

I also don't believe there will be a P version of the Model 3. They have priced the Performance package on the Model S/X very high over the standard car and I expect they will want to keep the high performance limited to the high end cars and the new Roadster.

5YJ3E1EAXHF000316

5YJ = Tesla
3 = Model 3
E = (Body type)
1 = (Restraint system/seat belt type)
E = Electric
A = (Motor/drive unit/battery type)
X = (Check digit - I think)
H = Model Year 2017
F = Fremont, CA, USA
000316 = Sequential production number, starting with 000001 and ending with 999999. Does not necessarily start at 00001 with each new model year

Nothing in this particular VIN suggests that it's a Founders car AFAIK

Last edited:
Ok, so here's the answer to all the digits (thank's @Winston):

5YJ = Tesla
3 = Model 3
E = Sedan 4 Dr / LHD
1 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
E = Electric
A = Single Motor - Standard
X = (Check digit)
H = Model Year 2017
F = Fremont, CA, USA
000316 = Sequential production number, starting with 000001 and ending with 999999. Does not necessarily start at 00001 with each new model year

Interesting that they seams to not have included anything here to indicate if it is a production car or an Beta/RC car... So if this is a serial number starting at 1, the "SN1" car that Elon gets a "Sequential production number" > 300?
They may perhaps have reserved all numbers < 100000 to test vehicles? So "SN1" will get "100001"? Or something like that...

I think it was "F00001" (F=Founder series). For the signature series I think it was "S00001" and "P00001" for the normal production series. If I remember correct they also had a letter to indicate if it was a per-production cars, but I do not remember what it was...

Ok, so here's the answer to all the digits (thank's @Winston):

5YJ = Tesla
3 = Model 3
E = Sedan 4 Dr / LHD
1 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
E = Electric
A = Single Motor - Standard
X = (Check digit)
H = Model Year 2017
F = Fremont, CA, USA

It's interesting to note that the A/B motor types, which I assume are for the 3, does not include a performance version, so I think we can say that at least there will be no P in 2017.