Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some closeups from It's not a hubcap
3v6Pp2v.jpg

lmMFVUh.jpg

CnIjQV6.jpg

FVvmUMo.jpg

svkrNot.jpg

Discussion: It's not a hubcap • r/teslamotors

No battery sticker on this RC(?)
I don't believe anyone thought those wheels were hubcaps, it is the "aero" wheel that the midnight silver car has on it.

Reactions: tracksyde
Also interesting detail in the 4th picture regarding the dash vent. Don't believe we have seen that before.

I did see that before in another picture, I'll see if I can find a reference.

It's interesting to observe that this "ribbing" in one of the pictures is not visible in the other one. It looks like the ribbing is in the vent behind the steering wheel, but not behind the screen. Could this be some sort of air diffuser?

I so love the blue, but I drive a blue car that is very similar color now so not sure if I want another blue one. Decisions, decisions...

Yeah, I love the gray but my car now is just too similar in color. Looking for a change so I think I'll have to rule it out. I still have the rest of the colors to choose from and I change my mind daily! I've shown my wife so many pictures of the different colors she won't even talk about it anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: gene
It's interesting to observe that this "ribbing" in one of the pictures is not visible in the other one. It looks like the ribbing is in the vent behind the steering wheel, but not behind the screen. Could this be some sort of air diffuser?

I was wondering if it was just to keep items from falling into the vent system.

The HVAC system in this car is the only thing I'm concerned about. I'm eager to know more about it; I really like having cold air blowing directly in my face at all times. My wife hates it. I hope this system is effective and adjustable. If it's no good, I guess I'll learn to live with it.

Reactions: AssortedBread
I was wondering if it was just to keep items from falling into the vent system.

The HVAC system in this car is the only thing I'm concerned about. I'm eager to know more about it; I really like having cold air blowing directly in my face at all times. My wife hates it. I hope this system is effective and adjustable. If it's no good, I guess I'll learn to live with it.
Yes, as a fellow Texan, hopefully a/c system with this new vent design is up to par. Yes, the argument is being able to precool the car from the app, but may not always remember to do that.

I'm interested to know if those are speakers on the rear shelf behind the headrests and what is the logo on them?
Or are they something else?

Or is the large area with speaker cloth behind those a giant array of speakers that can be used to suck all the road noise out of the car using active noise cancellation, or even just anechoic foam?

Elon has been clear that the S/X will get all the new tech first. If they develop an active noise canceling system, you will see it on the S/X first.

To keep S/X sales strong after the free for life supercharging ends at the end of this year, I expect Tesla to be rolling out something that will get people to buy the 2018 S/X even without free supercharging. They might lower the price a bit, but I expect they are holding on to most of the new tech and/or interior redesign until early next year. They might introduce a HUD and they might be working on an active noise canceling system too.

All sorts of tech from the Model S/X might make it to the 3 eventually, but it will be at least a year behind.

Reactions: AssortedBread
I'm interested to know if those are speakers on the rear shelf behind the headrests and what is the logo on them?
Or are they something else?
That's probably just a cargo cover for the trunk. It's possible the cover may be removable to open up the trunk area for taller items. With the rear seats folded down, you'll also have a deep pass-through space for transporting long objects.

tesla-model-3-design-prototype--reveal-event--march-2016_100551189_l.jpg

0X2xwBB.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skitown
Or is the large area with speaker cloth behind those a giant array of speakers that can be used to suck all the road noise out of the car using active noise cancellation, or even just anechoic foam?

You're over thinking things.

When you design a car with a big glass rear window, you've go to make sure people with abnormal interest in your trunk belongings don't peer inside.
2016-Volkswagen-Golf-Sportwagen-cargo-cover.jpg
Car-Rear-Trunk-Security-Shield-font-b-Cargo-b-font-font-b-Cover-b-font-For.jpg

Elon has been clear that the S/X will get all the new tech first. If they develop an active noise canceling system, you will see it on the S/X first.
It depends. During the 2016 shareholders conference Elon reiterated that the Model S and Model X will remain Tesla’s technology leaders, but that is not because Tesla is withholding features from the Model 3. It is because new technology is expensive and needs several iterations and economies of scale before it can be included in an affordable car. If there's a feature that already meets this criteria then it'd go into all the vehicles and they wouldn't necessarily stagger it for the sake of staggering it.

You're over thinking things.

When you design a car with a big glass rear window, you've go to make sure people with abnormal interest in your trunk belongings don't peer inside.
View attachment 237003 View attachment 237004
But the 3 has a trunk, not a hatch. I bet it's just a fixed parcel shelf and rear speakers are under that panel. Every sedan I've owned has been that way.

But if you want everyone to be able to talk to each other without raising their voice (as shown in your avatar), the background noise level needs to be 55dB or lower.
Why would the Model 3 be noisier than other Teslas (or other cars, for that matter) that it would require additional noise abatement not deemed necessary in other cars for the occupants to engage in normal conversation?