Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Real Time Traffic Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine if I am going to order a Model 3 now that I have been invited to design and while going through the list of features I want / like to have, I can't seem to find an answer to Model 3 navigation so looking for advice. I am currently a big Android Auto user and I know this is not available in the Model 3. The Model 3 uses Google Maps for its UI but does:

1. Tesla use Google's real time traffic information? If not, how do they determine real time traffic?
2. In Google Maps, it selects the best route based on traffic and will change the route based on changing traffic conditions. Does Tesla do the same?
3. In Google Maps, while driving it keeps adjusting arrival time based on real time traffic, etc - does Tesla do the same?
4. In Google Maps. it shows other routes while driving and the minutes they are slower or faster - does Tesla do this?

Ever since I switched to Android Auto, my city driving commute time has been cut down so much and my stress levels are so much lower. I have about 6-7 different routes home so Google has saved me a lot of time and I worry about moving to a Model 3 and going back to basic maps

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
  1. I don't know what Tesla's source is, but it does have good real-time traffic information here in the Bay Area.
  2. It does change the route. You can specify the sensitivity of re-routing. I set it at "reroute me if it will save me more than 5 minutes." That way it won't do the excessive adjustments that Waze does trying to cut out a few seconds.
  3. It definitely adjusts expected arrival time based on traffic conditions. When there is a reroute, it also adjusts the amount of battery you will have left when you arrive based on the new route.
  4. I don't think the Model 3 has this in its UI.

I am trying to determine if I am going to order a Model 3 now that I have been invited to design and while going through the list of features I want / like to have, I can't seem to find an answer to Model 3 navigation so looking for advice. I am currently a big Android Auto user and I know this is not available in the Model 3. The Model 3 uses Google Maps for its UI but does:

1. Tesla use Google's real time traffic information? If not, how do they determine real time traffic?
2. In Google Maps, it selects the best route based on traffic and will change the route based on changing traffic conditions. Does Tesla do the same?
3. In Google Maps, while driving it keeps adjusting arrival time based on real time traffic, etc - does Tesla do the same?
4. In Google Maps. it shows other routes while driving and the minutes they are slower or faster - does Tesla do this?

Ever since I switched to Android Auto, my city driving commute time has been cut down so much and my stress levels are so much lower. I have about 6-7 different routes home so Google has saved me a lot of time and I worry about moving to a Model 3 and going back to basic maps

I would think that #4 is pretty much impossible, since it would not have information on whether you missed a traffic light, etc. It would have to be a pretty rough estimate IMO.

Tesla’s new navigation uses MapBox amongst other sources and in my experience is quite nice! It’s pretty neck in neck with Google/Waze routing though the SF Bay Area during commute hours which is about as challenging as US traffic gets.

I wasn't planning on EAP as my 40 min commute is all surface streets with lots of traffic lights and at least 20% unmarked line roads. Isn't EAP most effective on highways?
Best for freeways, however it's highly effective in traffic anywhere. This is because EAP can play follow the leader well and then you don't have to!

Even if AWD is able to configured, I bet I won't see it until 2019 - Musk even said online it just starts production in July but will take 6+ months to roll out to all. He is not going to jeopardize the 5k/week threshhold if AWD brings in too much variability at this stage.

For those of us in Ontario, AWD probably means our incentive may be gone. Also, anyone in Ontario needs to be extremely careful when ordering AWD for the incentive program - even if it opens this week for order. Only the long range RWD is approved and if the program is suspended and even you get your AWD order in before, if the AWD is not on the approved list at time of suspenion you won't get the incentive. And there is a $75K limit so for those in Ontario, assuming AWD comes to $6500 more, if you add AWD you will not be able to get EAP until after at the higher cost since that would put you over the threshold of eligibility..

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
How would EAP work with RWD and Canada snowy winters? Would EAP cause more fishtailing?
There is video of the "Now You Know" guys trying to make the Model 3 fishtail and they couldn't. I have some experience driving it in the snow and RWD is very stable, and that was without snow tires. The snow I drove in was only a couple inches deep so if you regularly drive in deeper snow you might want to wait for AWD.

I wasn't planning on EAP as my 40 min commute is all surface streets with lots of traffic lights and at least 20% unmarked line roads. Isn't EAP most effective on highways?

I am almost embarrassed to admit this but my most common use of EAP is to get in line behind someone at a traffic light. As soon as you see cars ahead stopping at a light and recognized by AP, you can engage it, the car smoothly slows down, and it will also start back up on its own when the light turns green.

Traffic on the Navigation Map??? Not so good :(

Seems to be a bug. I took a video of this. As I zoomed IN/OUT the "red traffic jam" moved from eastbound to westbound and back. Over and over again. Here are a couple of screenshots from the video.

IMG_5571.PNG
IMG_5572.PNG

Traffic on the Navigation Map??? Not so good :(

Seems to be a bug. I took a video of this. As I zoomed IN/OUT the "red traffic jam" moved from eastbound to westbound and back. Over and over again. Here are a couple of screenshots from the video.

View attachment 305007 View attachment 305008
Routing w/traffic info is all over the place for me. Most mornings, it tries to route me on the 405 South, which is way busier and a much longer drive than taking the 22 East. Waze gets it right every time.

This morning, it tried taking me 10 minutes out of the way to get on the freeway. I thought their might be an issue on my normal route so I fired up Waze to verify. Waze routed me perfectly and saved me a lot of wasted time. So I still NEED Waze for routing, unfortunately. Just got latest software update this morning though. Not sure if it will help with that or not.