Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reality Check.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not set it and forget it? I mean do you manually adjust your house thermostat all the time too?

In my experience it doesn't always make the fan speed high enough on a hot day when the sun is shining through the windshield. My scroll wheel is set to my pano normally so I will often just adjust the fan speed with the touch screen. And it does require quite a bit of distraction to do that. Yes, I could change my scroll wheel to fan speed, but then I forget to change it back and I prefer having a button for my pano which I use more than the climate settings.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Imafrog and Lunarx
In my experience it doesn't always make the fan speed high enough on a hot day when the sun is shining through the windshield. My scroll wheel is set to my pano normally so I will often just adjust the fan speed with the touch screen. And it does require quite a bit of distraction to do that. Yes, I could change my scroll wheel to fan speed, but then I forget to change it back and I prefer having a button for my pano which I use more than the climate settings.
I miss living in California.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Why not set it and forget it? I mean do you manually adjust your house thermostat all the time too?

Actually I do adjust my house AC frequently. The mini-split in the living room has a remote and I adjust fan speed and temp a few times a day. The main house AC I while normally set at one temp I force it to come on as I go to bed it will run for 5 to 10 minutes cooling my room down while I get to sleep. I also tend to do that if I wake up in the night for some reason to help get back to sleep.

In a car I am constantly changing fan speed and temp. I have not used a car with auto climate control that I like. Never runs the fan fast enough and I don't like the temp regulation on most of them. I also hate the fan speed control on most cars high speed tends to be just a bit too loud and the next lower speed doesn't move enough air. I also frequently adjust the direction of the vents I will aim the vents so they blow on the seat and lean forward for a few minutes to help cool my back while driving.

It is one of the things I am interested in on the 3 to see how well it works. I hope they have the option to pre-cool the car like the S has as that will help a lot on the 110ºF days. Hopefully both a timer based and being able to use a cell phone to start cooling.

Reactions: Lunarx
Actually I do adjust my house AC frequently. The mini-split in the living room has a remote and I adjust fan speed and temp a few times a day. The main house AC I while normally set at one temp I force it to come on as I go to bed it will run for 5 to 10 minutes cooling my room down while I get to sleep. I also tend to do that if I wake up in the night for some reason to help get back to sleep.

In a car I am constantly changing fan speed and temp. I have not used a car with auto climate control that I like. Never runs the fan fast enough and I don't like the temp regulation on most of them. I also hate the fan speed control on most cars high speed tends to be just a bit too loud and the next lower speed doesn't move enough air. I also frequently adjust the direction of the vents I will aim the vents so they blow on the seat and lean forward for a few minutes to help cool my back while driving.

It is one of the things I am interested in on the 3 to see how well it works. I hope they have the option to pre-cool the car like the S has as that will help a lot on the 110ºF days. Hopefully both a timer based and being able to use a cell phone to start cooling.
You should check out an ecobee or nest thermostat for home. It might help. It also decreases your electric bill.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the ecobee the remote room thermostats might help. I have been switching over to mini-split ac systems so each room has its own system that has allowed the main house ac to be set much higher and only the rooms we use are cooled plus the mini-split are much more efficient. I have a few rooms left to switch over to mini-split but am getting close to being able to leave the main ac off.

I actually had never looked in-depth at the competitor cars before.

Are there really people who look at all of these comparisons between these two vehicles and think they are better than the Model 3? I'm not really a car guy except when it comes to EVs.

People who actually care about cars are probably going to be blown away when they see Model 3's all over the streets in a couple years...

Can't we issue voice commands for things like a/c, cruise control, radio to pop up on the display? Those are likely the only things I will be adjusting while the car is in motion. Even for the a/c, I may not have to play with it because I don't think an electrical a/c system will take off 15-20% of the driving range must like it does on fuel economy for less powerful ICE vehicles. Don't the S come with stalks on the steering column for wiper, cruise control, lighting, etc.?

A friend demonstrated the display on his S but I didn't ask about voice control.

=====

I don't care much about the interior differences with the 3 being so bare but could come experts chime in as to how the MB, Audi and BMW could prove to be more unreliable? That is, does any MB, Audi or BMW fanatic here know what some frequent complains about these cars, specifically mechanical or electrical issues, are?

I'm a more pragmatic car buyer and only choose to go with EV because it will cost so much less to travel and drive a little faster on the freeway (in terms of electricity cost) but I would still want a reliable enough EV. There really aren't many choices even for 2018 especially with AWD so M3 may be in the cards for me.

Tesla isn't the most reliable car being built but we do know reliability is not a strong foundation for the German cars since the Berlin wall collapsed and some are plagued with electric gremlins.

I'll go against the flow here, and say that no buttons is not necessarily the best idea, all things considered. At least, the climate control UX in the Model S is among my least favourite features. To compare: I can roll down the window by touch (i.e. without looking), but to adjust the climate, I need to distract myself from the driving. Quite far, too, given that the controls are at the very bottom.
You can set your right scroll wheel to adjust the fan or temperature.

Reactions: ikjadoon
I don't care much about the interior differences with the 3 being so bare but could come experts chime in as to how the MB, Audi and BMW could prove to be more unreliable? That is, does any MB, Audi or BMW fanatic here know what some frequent complains about these cars, specifically mechanical or electrical issues, are?

I'm a more pragmatic car buyer and only choose to go with EV because it will cost so much less to travel and drive a little faster on the freeway (in terms of electricity cost) but I would still want a reliable enough EV. There really aren't many choices even for 2018 especially with AWD so M3 may be in the cards for me.

Tesla isn't the most reliable car being built but we do know reliability is not a strong foundation for the German cars since the Berlin wall collapsed and some are plagued with electric gremlins.
I’m not an expert by any means, but I have had experience with Audi, BMW, and MB myself and through friends and family. From what I’ve seen and experienced, the major issues have been with the electrical systems (a notorious problem area for German cars), minor moving parts like automatic windows and door locks, and, for Audi especially, the brake system. My parents Audi had the brake rotors replaced 4 times due to warping, and from doing some research it was a very common problem.

Can't we issue voice commands for things like a/c, cruise control, radio to pop up on the display? Those are likely the only things I will be adjusting while the car is in motion. Even for the a/c, I may not have to play with it because I don't think an electrical a/c system will take off 15-20% of the driving range must like it does on fuel economy for less powerful ICE vehicles. Don't the S come with stalks on the steering column for wiper, cruise control, lighting, etc.?

A friend demonstrated the display on his S but I didn't ask about voice control.

=====

MB is very reliable (had 3).
Biggest negative is the massive depreciation (lease is cheaper than buying).
Porsche 911 [991] is the most dealer visits, for any car I ever owned.
30K miles and never broke, but lots of annoying malfunctions.

If you worry about Tesla relibality (especially on Model 3) thats understandable.
If practicality is your main goal, 2nd Gen Volt is rock solid reliable (after 25K mi) and dirt cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit

=====

We have quite a collection of cars, a Model X P90D and also a new Model S. We also have two first minute reservations for Model 3's, so we are believers in the electric cars. I can comment first hand about reliability of German cars as we also have a Mercedes E class, two new BMW X5's and two BMW 328's (planning to replace the 328's with the two Model 3's). We have had zero defects since new with our E class and it is 4 years old, our X5's and 328's have only needed regular free service with those being between 1-3 years old. Older German cars may have had quality issues in the past but that can be said for all older cars as quality and modern manufacturing techniques have improved greatly with all manufacturers. As far as "driving faster on the freeway" Tesla Autopilot is the big advantage to me on the highway for road trips but the lack of range when traveling with the normal flow of traffic (77-78ish) or faster is the big disadvantage. The electric range takes a huge hit when you exceed 70 mph and in an area like South Florida the flow is much faster than 70 mph. The Model 3 roof looks very nice but the interior pictures look very bare in comparison to the X and S as well as any of the German cars but the Model 3 is being built as a price point car and they needed places to cut out money. I have to disagree with the person who thinks the new C class interior is not nice and is not being realistic because almost anyone who sits in a new C should admit it is much nicer than anything in it's price range. I don't own a new C class but have driven them as loaner cars while our E was in for regular service and they would be unbeatable if they had Autopilot and electric drive. My only disappointment with the pictures I've seen so far with the Model 3 is the big screen looking tacked on and the lack of virtually anything else on the dash but I'm sure they want to give customers a reason to step up to a nice interior in a S.

Last edited:
It's just personal taste but the minimalist look of the Model 3 interior is appealing to me. The MB C class looks like an old submarine control center. Sure each button has a purpose but I feel the days of discrete buttons and knobs are over.

In 3-5 years all car manufactures are going to switch to touch interfaces. Same thing happened in phones. It's just a matter of time.

We have quite a collection of cars, a Model X P90D and also a new Model S. We also have two first minute reservations for Model 3's, so we are believers in the electric cars. I can comment first hand about reliability of German cars as we also have a Mercedes E class, two new BMW X5's and two BMW 328's (planning to replace the 328's with the two Model 3's). We have had zero defects since new with our E class and it is 4 years old, our X5's and 328's have only needed regular free service with those being between 1-3 years old. Older German cars may have had quality issues in the past but that can be said for all older cars as quality and modern manufacturing techniques have improved greatly with all manufacturers. As far as "driving faster on the freeway" Tesla Autopilot is the big advantage to me on the highway for road trips but the lack of range when traveling with the normal flow of traffic (77-78ish) or faster is the big disadvantage. The electric range takes a huge hit when you exceed 70 mph and in an area like South Florida the flow is much faster than 70 mph. The Model 3 roof looks very nice but the interior pictures look very bare in comparison to the X and S as well as any of the German cars but the Model 3 is being built as a price point car and they needed places to cut out money. I have to disagree with the person who thinks the new C class interior is not nice and is not being realistic because almost anyone who sits in a new C should admit it is much nicer than anything in it's price range. I don't own a new C class but have driven them as loaner cars while our E was in for regular service and they would be unbeatable if they had Autopilot and electric drive. My only disappointment with the pictures I've seen so far with the Model 3 is the big screen looking tacked on and the lack of virtually anything else on the dash but I'm sure they want to give customers a reason to step up to a nice interior in a S.

Good to know. I don't follow BMW but I did read about the carbon deposit build ups and high pressure fuel pump or (something like that) issues years ago.

Wouldn't mind trying out the all electric X3 coming out in a few years with budget permitting.

Wife said BMW was her dream car and now want a SUV. I just like the gasoline savings and drive train simplification in an EV.

The other interiors are so last generation, they are stuck in time unable to move forward can't help but feel sorry.

On the other hand, every time I see the Model 3 interior, the more appealing it gets. This is going to be the future folks mark my words. Just as blackberry had a short lifespan, every other alternative with a few of this and a few of that is going to disappear.

My only disappointment with the pictures I've seen so far with the Model 3 is the big screen looking tacked on and the lack of virtually anything else on the dash but I'm sure they want to give customers a reason to step up to a nice interior in a S.
One thing that tacked on screen does, besides separating the higher end S with the 3, is provide potential EV competitors with an interior-design advantage in the $35-55k price range market.
Looking forward to the future announcement of options for the Model 3 that the competition already takes for granted.