Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reality Check.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its hard to believe that its been 477 days since the model 3 unveil, since then expectations have grown with every subsequent forum post.

Heres a quick reality check about how awesome the Model 3 is.

BMW 3 Series - 34,000 (before the incredibly infuriatingly expensive options)
Audi A4 - 34,900 (again. As a German I'm embarrassed with German car companies approach to options)
Tesla Model 3 - 27,500 (with federal tax credit)

BMW 3 Series Sunroof.
Untitled 3.jpg

Audi A4 Sunroof.
AudiA4.jpg

Model 3 Sunroof.
IMG_6038-1.jpg

-------------------

BMW 3 Series Trunk (Watch your head!)
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 1.09.25 AM.png

Audi A4 Trunk
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 1.26.14 AM.png

Model 3 Trunk + Frunk (clever Trunk hinging)
0X2xwBB.jpg

--------------------

BMW 3 Series Roof
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 1.21.06 AM.png

Audi A4 Roof
Untitled 4.jpg

Model 3 Roof
Roof.jpg

Roof2.jpg

-------------------------

Adding more comparisons in comments. But I think the verdict will hold true that Mr. Musk and Tesla have created the best car in its class and its a EV!

You comment on center storage but you do not show the storage on the Audi which is under the arm rest (not sure on the BMW). Not only that you show an older model of the A4 instead of the current generation, when you commented on the gear shifter. At least your picture of the instrument cluster of the A4 is the current generation

BMW 3 Series Center Storage (sorry theres a sculpted Knob in the way)
View attachment 236801
Audi A4 Center Storage (sorry, there a shifter)
View attachment 236799
Model 3 Center Storage (no gear shifting means big storage area)
View attachment 236797 View attachment 236798

Last edited:
Tesla trends towards the German model for options pricing.

That was for the Model S, the True Believers understand that this is a car for the masses so all Luxury options will be sold at a HUGE discount, because Tesla (and it's shareholders) only care about their mandate for widespread EV adoption. They don't care about such silly things as profits. Alternatively, while they may do that and lose money on almost every car they will make up for it on volume! Or at least that's the widespread viewpoint on the board who are always right. Just wait for the HUD, it will be awesome (and free).

Is it just me, or do the BMW and Audi navigation displays look like they're just tacked on? You better be careful if you have kids in one of those cars, they could grab the display and snap it off.

I can't tell if this comment is sincere or designed to stir up the pot. Most kids young enough to damage stuff should be in the back seat anyway, but even this Tesla fanboy (who digs the "star trek" feel of the Model 3) gets cold sweats about knocking that Model 3 screen accidentally himself.

Reactions: FlyF4
@AssortedBread thank you for this thread! I'm very excited about the reservation and sometimes all of the negative news can bring you down. You definitely got me right back to flying high!

I'm glad.

Here take a look at this 2017 Mercedes C-Class ($40,000)
55SWF4KB5HU220549-4c.jpg

They also tack on a display, but don't commit to it. Instead the litter the entire cockpit area with hundreds of buttons... And this is a car with a starting price $5,000 higher.

• Informative
Reactions: Alketi and cdub