Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reality Check.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an ICE so it has a SCSI port and always sets a dirty bit.
Addendum:
Ahh ... got it.

A couple years ago family was visiting us. An in-law showed off his IBM laptop and we compared it to my Mac laptop. I just couldn't help myself and asked if he thought it had enough buttons and ports and was rewarded with a "F you!"

Everybody at the dinner table erupted in laughter. Good memories.

Last edited:
That was for the Model S, the True Believers understand that this is a car for the masses so all Luxury options will be sold at a HUGE discount, because Tesla (and it's shareholders) only care about their mandate for widespread EV adoption. They don't care about such silly things as profits. Alternatively, while they may do that and lose money on almost every car they will make up for it on volume! Or at least that's the widespread viewpoint on the board who are always right. Just wait for the HUD, it will be awesome (and free).

I know you find it fun to attack practically all the people here, who you call "the widespread viewpoint on the board who are always right", but please at least attack people here with facts, rather than a Trumpian style attack based on made-up BS and nonsense. I've read lots here about predicting option pricing for the Model 3 and there's no way the "widespread viewpoint" is "Luxury options will be sold at a HUGE discount." Of course, some here claim that but those folks are very few and far between and not the "wide spread view". Here's my facts in support:

Model 3 Launch Day Options & Prices based on latest info 3/24/17

Model 3 Price Estimator

Options Pricing for Model 3

Pricing of options, I hope the Model 3 is reasonable.

It certainly seems to me that most of the prices in these threads are not excessive or heavily discounted, but reasonable, and some may in fact end up being pretty close to what Tesla ends up charging. But the vast majority of reasonable people here don't make for good ridicule -- so let's just ignore them, and attack the extremes, and call them the "widespread viewpoint" all while being one of them -- just at the other end of the extreme. Now that makes sense.

I'll go against the flow here, and say that no buttons is not necessarily the best idea, all things considered. At least, the climate control UX in the Model S is among my least favourite features. To compare: I can roll down the window by touch (i.e. without looking), but to adjust the climate, I need to distract myself from the driving. Quite far, too, given that the controls are at the very bottom.

I'll go against the flow here, and say that no buttons is not necessarily the best idea, all things considered. At least, the climate control UX in the Model S is among my least favourite features. To compare: I can roll down the window by touch (i.e. without looking), but to adjust the climate, I need to distract myself from the driving. Quite far, too, given that the controls are at the very bottom.
Why not set it and forget it? I mean do you manually adjust your house thermostat all the time too?

You make a really good point.

If I were Tesla I would have the option of using the tactical (very important like you said) scrolling wheels on the steering wheel to adjust temperature and flow rate. (scroll up for hotter, down for colder and click left for less air and right for more air)

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 8.28.37 PM.png

Edit: I forgot to mention you'd choose what your two tactical controllers do. Music on one (Scroll up and down for volumes "turn up", click left/right going through songs) Air on the other.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ikjadoon and Lunarx
Why not set it and forget it? I mean do you manually adjust your house thermostat all the time too?
A man visiting a physician:
- Doctor, it hurts when I bend like this. What do I do?
Physician:
- Don't bend like that.

That is to say, you are suggesting a workaround for a genuine problem, with the further implication that it's not a problem. Touch devices as they are now lack any feedback, and that affects what we can and can't do efficiently. You can't touch-type on a screen keyboard, for example.

A man visiting a physician:
- Doctor, it hurts when I bend like this. What do I do?
Physician:
- Don't bend like that.

That is to say, you are suggesting a workaround for a genuine problem, with the further implication that it's not a problem. Touch devices as they are now lack any feedback, and that affects what we can and can't do efficiently. You can't touch-type on a screen keyboard, for example.
Some of the newer screens (not in teslas) have haptic feedback which helps with that. It's definitely something Tesla should look into.

Some of the newer screens (not in teslas) have haptic feedback which helps with that. It's definitely something Tesla should look into.

I recall that Tesla mentioned interest in haptic feedback when they first revealed the original touch screen in the Model S prototype.

http://gizmodo.com/5204805/tesla-model-s-electric-sedans-huge-haptic-touchscreen-dashboard-in-action

I also see they have a job listing looking for "Display and Haptics, Mechanical Design Engineer"

You might know this already but Tesla's Model S prototype had a haptic feedback screen. Who knows they might have a second go at it. Its been almost a decade (8 years) since this demo.

http://gizmodo.com/5204805/tesla-model-s-electric-sedans-huge-haptic-touchscreen-dashboard-in-action

Edit: TEG has completely Ninjad me on my own thread.

Reactions: JeffK