Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Failed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but this should be your first post. This is how its done.

Disagree. There is much value in the previous reporting already. Real-time reporting also provides a track-record and usually more detail than any summary days later could. Both is best, as @DrLegoHair is doing of course.

IMO we just need to stop being sensitive about issues getting attention. That's OK. It is not a bad thing at all, if we don't make it so ourselves.

Sorry, but this should be your first post. This is how its done.
Now, when will Tesla finally engineer around this 12V issue?
It was in the roadster, it was in the S, it was in the X, it is in the 3.

Forget the APx problems, THIS 12v battery thing is the one problem that should simply not exists.
No excuses.

What is with the hostility about posting a question when your car breaks down?? This is a forum to HELP people.

My first post was to ask for help - when no one had any insight, I posted my experience. THAT is how it’s done.

Last edited:
What is with the hostility about posting a question when your car breaks down?? This is a forum to HELP people.

There is a traditional disagreement on TMC about how incidents and criticism should be handled. It is nothing to do with your post personally.

Some would prefer incidents and criticisms to be posted in condensed form avoiding repetition and vagueness, and/or only after suitable delay that might allow solving them discreetly and thus avoid posting at all.

It is a controversial view for sure IMO, but a common one.

What is causing the 12V batteries to go bad? Is it a supplier problem, or is it a Tesla problem with the battery discharging? Why does it happen on some cars and not others?

I wonder if carrying a 12V motorcycle battery would have enough amps to wake the car up and perhaps even have enough juice to get you home?

Thanks for posting. Hopefully they'll have the problem solved in the next few months when I get mine. By the way, are you, DrLegoHair, an owner, a line waiter, or placed your reservation immediately during the reveal? I'm just wondering if us mere mortals are starting to get our Model 3S.

It’s not a ‘widespread issue’ simply because a couple people post about it here or because some tow guy says ‘several’. Some people like to over dramatize using inaccurate words/wording.

Is there not a tow mode in Model 3 like S? Would that not have worked instead of all the putting it into drive and worrying about it dying again?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gbdc and dm33
Please don't mind the occasional negative comment, your information is highly valuable and your posting very detailed. Thank you again for the effort.
Agreed. I was thankful there was only one negative comment before your post, but it's interesting you felt the need to highlight it.
Some would prefer incidents and criticisms to be posted in condensed form avoiding repetition and vagueness,
I don't think this is much to ask. Concision is extremely desirable in communication, wouldn't you agree, @AnxietyRanger? :) I personally think @DrLegoHair was quite concise.
and/or only after suitable delay that might allow solving them discreetly and thus avoid posting at all.
I think those who would prefer this are in a significant minority here, if they do exist.

Now, away from any TMC drama that anyone would like to create, I'm really glad the issue has been resolved and reported here. The main issue with the battery in the past has been cycling. Tesla deep cycled the lead-acid or AGM battery repeatedly which shortened its life. It's been discussed around these parts, most recently here. However, that doesn't seem to apply to a new car. This is something different entirely, an hopefully something that Tesla can solve quickly.

Are you saying that you believe that Tesla test drives every car for 30-50 miles before delivery? That doesn't scale to the kind of production numbers they are trying to reach.

It gets a few miles (single digits) testing inside the factory and a lap on the test track outside the factory.

It gets a few miles being moved around the parking lot prior to transport, being put in a lot off site, being put in a lot at a delivery center (service center, store, etc).

I wouldn't say 30 miles of testing but I would say it can rack up 5-15 miles just in the normal course of manufacturing + delivery.

As you can see at Odometer Reading at Delivery | Tesla they used to put 95 miles on the delivery paperwork, then went to 50 miles.

I think the lowest someone has had for non California delivery was 7 miles on the odometer.

12V problems have happened with other Tesla's too. Mine in my S failed couple months after I got my car, a late 2014 P85D. In most cases of which I know there is a single rwplacement and then the new one lasts for years, but I know YMMV. Tesla has gone through a few iterations of suppliers and 12V battery characteristics including chemistry. In a BEV the 12V works much harder than they do in typical cars, in which they are pretty much used of starting.

The problem, if history is an indication, will be quickly resolved and not recur. The timing for full resolution probably depends on supplier capabilities.

Please keep us posted. This topic does deserve a dedicated thread until it ceases to be an issue, IMHO.

It gets a few miles (single digits) testing inside the factory and a lap on the test track outside the factory.

It gets a few miles being moved around the parking lot prior to transport, being put in a lot off site, being put in a lot at a delivery center (service center, store, etc).

I wouldn't say 30 miles of testing but I would say it can rack up 5-15 miles just in the normal course of manufacturing + delivery.

As you can see at Odometer Reading at Delivery | Tesla they used to put 95 miles on the delivery paperwork, then went to 50 miles.

I think the lowest someone has had for non California delivery was 7 miles on the odometer.
There was an interview with the guy that does the test driving for Tesla somewhere recently. I believe they do more of a spot check system, rather than test driving every single car. Even at 2,500/wk, that’s too many cars to test every single one. Perhaps they are looking at more right now with production being slow, but it def won’t continue that way.

That is just awful. I am buying a new car “M3” to avoid this exact situation and stress. It happens often with my other antique car and it’s embarrassing and stressful. People start gather around me. Looking at me, while I am struggling to get the car to start. “Cool car man... too bad it doesn’t start, need more plutonium?” F&@$!!& car... start dammit, start. Uggggg.
I might need to carry a portable 12v starter in M3. Tesla should put one in a glove box for an emergency. Wait.... M3 needs power to open glove box.. $%$#$%!!

It’s not a ‘widespread issue’ simply because a couple people post about it here or because some tow guy says ‘several’. Some people like to over dramatize using inaccurate words/wording.

Is there not a tow mode in Model 3 like S? Would that not have worked instead of all the putting it into drive and worrying about it dying again?

I suppose you’re right, the word widespread may be premature. But it certainly seems to be the most common issue with the model 3 thus far. Not trying to create drama here, just spread information.

There is a tow mode but first he was trying to line up the car to make it easier to put on the trailer.

Whether Model 3 adds something new to the mix of potential reasons is unknown, but here's a thread and a quote that might be relevant:

Wondering if these batteries have been sitting in a warehouse since July due to the production delays. Would that cause an issue I wonder?

Wow. I understand the concept of owners being beta testers, but from all the problems being reported with the Model 3, from failed motors to cracked glass roofs to failure to operate entirely, it sounds like production hell and bottlenecks may actually be in Tesla's best interests...
You should have seen how my BMW i3 was delivered and how many times it went back to the shop for things that a 100 year old premium car company should have gotten right.

By the way, does Tesla provide free towing?

Yes,

They towed the car at no cost to me about 200 miles away. They also provided a free rental from enterprise. Ironically a GMC Yukon . I think I’m getting about 11mpg lol!

At first they were going to tow to the closest SC but when I told them it would be inconvenient for me to drive back to pick it up, they offered to tow it to my local SC.

DrLegoHair

Thank you for your updates .... so sorry you experienced a problem.

But, you need to be commended for maintaining a positive attitude, and demonstrating a willingness to let things sort out. So many would be trashing TMC. I'm sure if it had happened to me I would be "sick at heart," but I hope I would have responded like you did.