Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Failed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had exactly the same issues a few days ago. Model 3 2019, about 1000 miles. The messages I got:
The car cannot charge
Unable to drive
Pull over safely
The car is shutting down

Car is now in service. Waiting for a resolution. Got a loaner.
Any up date? I just sent my car on a flatbed for the same issue. Was told that they don’t provide loaners any longer and received Uber vouchers

Hi, I had a similar experience. The first time, model 3 was about a month old and tesla replaced the 12v and said I should be fine. When I got the same error msg 2 weeks later, I called roadside assistance who said I just needed to drive the car more (I drive it everyday) and 12v would recharge itself. I decided to drive it to the service center. After I got there it died and they couldn't get it started. They need to replace the rear drive shaft. Curious how your issue was remedied and if you've experienced any other issues? I too am excited to get my car back, but also anxious, hoping that 4 visits to the service center in 2 months is all I'll have to make for the year.
This is really unbelievable. I could not imagine that Tesla could give such advice: it is a Tesla, not an ICE car where alternator charges the battery only if you driving. Tesla HV inverter charges 12V battery whenever voltage drops to some level. Because of that, Tesla can drive even with faulty 12V battery while inverter works. You will receive the warning message but car will drive and function fine unless HV battery died.