Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear-ended 1 day from 1 year old... still unresolved 4 week mark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't you have uninsured, under insured motorist coverage? Your own insurance company should be figuring this stuff out, you get money from your own company and they re-coop from the other company. Idk why people insist on contacting the other company themselves.if you were not at fault, your insurance wouldn't go up even if your insurance company has to pay.

2. My wife and I are victims of someone else. Justice would be making sure the perpetrator is correctly punished and we are made whole.

I'm sorry you were rear ended, and I understand it is emotional.

But what I think you should be looking for is monetary compensation for your vehicle and injuries, not 'justice.' Generally, in a car accident or motor collision, there is no crime committed. (unless there is malicious intent like that guy who killed 4 ppl in the semi last wknd)

You should not be looking for 'punishment' but for you to be made whole monetarily.

We Americans may often confuse justice with money, as it seems ingrained in our litigious society, but criminal justice is very different than compensation for your vehicle and medical bills paid after an accident.

Don't you have uninsured, under insured motorist coverage? Your own insurance company should be figuring this stuff out, you get money from your own company and they re-coop from the other company. Idk why people insist on contacting the other company themselves.if you were not at fault, your insurance wouldn't go up even if your insurance company has to pay.
Doesn't comprehensive cover my car damage if the at fault party doesn't have insurance?
Isn't under insured motorist for medical only?

By Justice I meant made whole, not necessarily more. I'm aware the person who did this, (I believe) did not do it intentionally.

Friend was T-boned a week ago in his car... other party (who was at fault) had ZERO insurance. Which, I believe is a crime.

If you can't afford proper insurance you shouldn't be allowed to drive.
In Saskatchewan you pay up or you cannot drive.
Can't imagine this scenario.

It's not a matter of not being able to afford the proper insurance. It's that Pennsylvania law requires people to buy insurance that covers a minimum of $5,000 in liability coverage for property damage. That is an absurdly low limit. Even here in Texas, the land of "free markets," that number is $25,000.

Sorry to hear about your experience and your wife's injuries, @SabrToothSqrl. I hope it all works out for you soon. If you continue to have problems with the adjustment process, have your lawyer friend write a nasty letter. Usually, a letter from a lawyer is read by different people in the insurance company than your ordinary front line adjuster. It should get things moving along better.

If you can't afford proper insurance you shouldn't be allowed to drive.
In Saskatchewan you pay up or you cannot drive.
Can't imagine this scenario.

It's not a matter of not being able to afford the proper insurance. It's that Pennsylvania law requires people to buy insurance that covers a minimum of $5,000 in liability coverage for property damage. That is an absurdly low limit. Even here in Texas, the land of "free markets," that number is $25,000.

I guess you don't have too many Ferrari's or McLarens on the Saskatchewan roads?
I know there are plenty of those in TX.
In many areas, $300K liability may be considered under-insured!

Doesn't comprehensive cover my car damage if the at fault party doesn't have insurance?
Isn't under insured motorist for medical only?

Comprehensive will kick in if there is no under/uninsured policy in place, but at the price of the deductible. Which is undesirable.

Under/uninsured motorist policies can cover property (UMPD) and/or medical and body injury (UMBI), and usually don't have a deductible. I believe OP said he had UM policy, so he will get fully reimbursed for all repairs with $0 deductible.

a

$5k for property damage is ridiculously low, but it looks like neighboring NJ has a similar limits. Sabr, you need to add point #5: low minimums in your state law, which is really the cause of most of your angst.

The only solution is to lobby your state legislators since I assume the limits are state law, and not just by regulator fiat.

What Does Minimum State Car Insurance Mean? Is It Enough?

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I think this varies by state. In California Uninsured Motorist Coverage only covers medical bills for you and your passengers. Collision coverage covers your vehicle.
You are correct. I was thinking of the medical bills for his wife - she is much more important than a car.

Comprehensive coverage will not pay in a situation like this.