Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear-ended by driver insured by Leader/Infinity/Kemper Insurance in GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 got rear-ended while at a complete stop at a yield sign by an inattentive driver in a Hummer H2 a couple of days ago and the driver has insurance w/ a small insurance company in Georgia called Leader Insurance, which is now part of Infinity Insurance (Insurance Quotes for Auto, Business, Home & Life | Infinity Insurance), a Kemper subsidiary, and it did take me some time to figure that out and find their phone number online. I called the police at the scene and the police report was just made available to me today on crashdocs.org.

Even though the other driver was at fault, that fact that he's w/ a very small local insurance company started worrying me, especially when I don't have collision coverage on my policy and I will have to deal w/ his insurance company by myself. :(

Here are the damaged parts/components I've found so far from my visual examination: trunk, trunk lid, rear bumper, parking sensors, both taillights, left quarter panel, both rear pillars, and charge port.

I called Tesla Marietta Body Shop and they said my damages can only be repaired by their body shop network (third-party). Does anyone have any experience dealing w/ this insurance company or using a third-party body shop to repair similar damages? How much would the damages on my car cost? Can someone please recommend a Tesla authorized body shop in Suwanee, GA 30024 area? This is my first time in a car accident, so any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 603223
View attachment 603222
View attachment 603220
View attachment 603221
View attachment 603218

That looks near identical to the damage I got from a full sized pickup truck, except I didn't have any quarter panel/pillar damage that a little touch up paint didn't fix. Not sure yours is actually any different for that panel. Cost $7500 at the first party Tesla Body Repair Center in San Jose - labor rates will probably be cheaper for your neck of the woods.

No paint blending was required for my car (black).

• Helpful
Reactions: hcw0818
I had a scratch that affected by “B Pillar” that cost the other guys insurance company over 10K.
Here the damage appears to be the trunk only- so maybe no structural damage so you may get off cheap. The third party body shop will give you a written estimate- use that legally
2) you have to ask for a loaner while you car is in the shop- expect it to take a few weeks- maybe parts are more available now but I was out of my car for 10 weeks.
3) I forget the legal term but you have to ask for “depreciation” as now your car fax report shows a crash - so you car is less than it would have been if it was not in a crash.

best of luck...
Post often

• Helpful
Reactions: hcw0818
I hired an expert appraiser and filed a claim for "diminution of value" It cost me a $200 fee, but he gave me expert filled-out forms and we claimed $7800 in DV on my Model S. I settled for $6900 and got a check for that amount from the 3rd party ins. co. This is no small matter. Your damages will show up on a carfax report. I will feel better when I have to take $7800 less when I trade mine in. BTW, I took the DV money and put it in TSLA stock at $285 a share!

I don't have collision coverage on my policy and I will have to deal w/ his insurance company by myself

Huh? Never heard of that in my life but I'm from NY and the insurance takes care of everything, especially if someone hit you. You just have to have their license number.

In NY we have liability coverage or comprehensive coverage for our insurance.

Reactions: Big Earl
I was rear ended by driver about a year and a half ago. She was covered by a small local agency that issued a Kemper policy. At the time, my car was only 3 months old, so I was pretty bummed, but it only ended up dimpling and scratching the bumper cover. The Kemper agent was great, they had me download an app to my phone, I took several photos of the damage and the car VIN, and they sent me a check within a week. Very fast and convenient. I never had to speak to my insurance company. Granted, my damage was much less than yours, but my experience as a claimant with Kemper was very positive.

I was rear ended by driver about a year and a half ago. She was covered by a small local agency that issued a Kemper policy. At the time, my car was only 3 months old, so I was pretty bummed, but it only ended up dimpling and scratching the bumper cover. The Kemper agent was great, they had me download an app to my phone, I took several photos of the damage and the car VIN, and they sent me a check within a week. Very fast and convenient. I never had to speak to my insurance company. Granted, my damage was much less than yours, but my experience as a claimant with Kemper was very positive.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish my claim was handled in the same way as yours. The Kemper adjuster is not responding to my emails or phone calls and my car has been sitting in the garage for 10 days now. Btw, did you also file a Diminished Value Claim to get compensated for the loss of the value of your car after the accident? If yes, when did you file it, before or after the repairs were done?

Huh? Never heard of that in my life but I'm from NY and the insurance takes care of everything, especially if someone hit you. You just have to have their license number.

In NY we have liability coverage or comprehensive coverage for our insurance.

If he doesn’t have collision coverage on his policy, he doesn’t have the option of using his own insurance as he isn’t covered. The other party is responsible and the other insurance company will take care of him.

@hcw0818, been awhile (end of October). How have you made out?

From what I remember reading in here not all states allow diminished value claims so figure that out first. Believe it is filed after claim is settled but others who’ve been through this Will speak up I’m sure. I would think your state has some sort of agency to contact if that insurance company is being evasive. Document everything and I’d send something in writing (the old fashioned letter route) certified to have that as back up to your claim against them.

Any chance you had your TeslaCam recording and saved the file?

not all states allow diminished value claims Believe it is filed after claim is settled I would think your state has some sort of agency to contact if that insurance company is being evasive.
A few quick clarifications.
In no state with the possible exception of Michigan, is there a regulation prohibiting car owners from filing claims for diminished value and loss of use as long as the accident was not your fault.
A car owner can file a diminished value claim any time; even prior to repairs being done which is useful if you wish to convince the insurer to total your car.
The only agency that deals with complaints against insurers is the state insurance department. However, none of them have any power to adjudicate. Only a judge or jury can force an insurer to play fair.