Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear ended - let's see how long this takes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately my 4-week old Model 3 was rear ended on 6/27 by a 86 year old driver in a Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup without a license or insurance. Luckily there are so far no issues from my insurance provide but I am growing a bit weary on how long the repair process may end up taking.
So far my car has been at the body shop for 21 days. Luckily I still have my old car so at least I won't be stuck in a rental. Just thought I'd share this and hopefully update status with how things go.

Timeline:
6/27 - Rear ended :(
6/28 - Car towed to body shop
6/29 - Preliminary estimate ($8310 total, parts = $3882, labor = $4428 / 67 hours)
7/02 - Parts are on order but will take a few weeks ("major surgery")
7/10 - Still waiting on parts...
7/20 - Some smaller parts have arrived. Still waiting on structural parts (lift gate, quarter panel). Body shop rep said he'll be escalating to see if he can get an ETA from Tesla. Still "weeks to go".

Attachments

• rear_01.jpg
    rear_01.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 431
Man you really got clubbed. This is my worst nightmare with a brand new car. Sorry dude.

I actually think Tesla ought to develop a "Runaway" response to add to the safety features. It would be like the opposite of emergency braking. "Runaway" would quickly scoot the car forward as much as possible or into another lane (if clear) to avoid a rear end collision.

Unfortunately my 4-week old Model 3 was rear ended on 6/27 by a 86 year old driver in a Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup without a license or insurance. Luckily there are so far no issues from my insurance provide but I am growing a bit weary on how long the repair process may end up taking.
So far my car has been at the body shop for 21 days. Luckily I still have my old car so at least I won't be stuck in a rental. Just thought I'd share this and hopefully update status with how things go.

Timeline:
6/29 - Preliminary estimate ($8310 total, parts = $3882, labor = $4428 / 67 hours)
7/20 - Some smaller parts have arrived. Still waiting on structural parts (lift gate, quarter panel). Body shop rep said he'll be escalating to see if he can get an ETA from Tesla. Still "weeks to go".

As far as I know, no quarter panel. You need a whole new body side which would account for extra labor charges. Header, quarter panel and under both doors is one piece if I remember correctly. Maybe they’ll cut and weld in a quarter panel piece?

As far as I know, no quarter panel. You need a whole new body side which would account for extra labor charges. Header, quarter panel and under both doors is one piece if I remember correctly. Maybe they’ll cut and weld in a quarter panel piece?

I'm not really sure exactly how they'll do it but I did find the article / video below. Looks like from this it looks like the replacement panel goes about to the mid point of the door opening on the bottom but may only extend up the C-pillar.
This time-lapse video of Tesla Model 3 body repairs is weirdly soothing

Update from last Friday was more of the same - still waiting on Tesla.
I've used the contact form in my account to ask if this is a reasonable hold up. I saw some horror stories mentioned on reddit / twitter this morning with folks who have been waiting 3+ months. I really hope this isn't the case for me!

Timeline:
That sucks. How long have you had the car?

I'm surprised that people over there get away with driving uninsured. The cameras on police and DVLA vehicles can automatically check your insurance and road-tax status directly from your numberplate and post you a lovely fine / get someone to take away your car and crush it.

I'm surprised that people over there get away with driving uninsured. The cameras on police and DVLA vehicles can automatically check your insurance and road-tax status directly from your numberplate and post you a lovely fine / get someone to take away your car and crush it.
It's California. The state minimum limits required for driving are only 10/15/10 which is hilarious. Wouldn't even pay for a base model Honda Civic if it were totalled. ALWAYS carry UM/UIM coverage on your Tesla with limits of at least 100/300/100 liability limits and property damage coverage. Make sure to ALWAYS add GAP coverage too!

It’s united states. The law is so weak that you can’t prosecute anyone. It’s cheaper to pay the fine or take th verbal warning than it is to buy insurance.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
That sucks. How long have you had the car?
I've owned it since 6/1.

Had it for four weeks, now in the shop for five week. :-/

Geez! From the pics the car looks totaled.

At first I was surprised that the quote for repair came in so low and thought it would be better to have it repaired since I'd get the car back sooner than waiting for a new one. Hopefully that's still the case!

Last edited:
Wow, this sucks. I too have a white 18 Aero in Sac. Just curious where (assuming in Sac) was this? Also which shop are you using?
Cool - just try to stay safe out there. :)

Accident was at Madison and Manzanita in Carmichael. The only Tesla certified body shop in the area is Kniesel's Collision in Rocklin.
I'm considering swinging by there just to chat in person but don't want to pester too much.

It's California. The state minimum limits required for driving are only 10/15/10 which is hilarious. Wouldn't even pay for a base model Honda Civic if it were totalled. ALWAYS carry UM/UIM coverage on your Tesla with limits of at least 100/300/100 liability limits and property damage coverage. Make sure to ALWAYS add GAP coverage too!

I've never seen insurance like that. It appears to be very different to ours. I googled how it works (personal liability per person in 1000s / total liability for all occupants in 1000s / total damage to property [including other vehicles and I would assume your own vehicle?] in 1000s).

Here we have 3rd Party Insurance which is mandatory (it covers only other people and other people's property, not yourself or your own car). The next step up is 3rd Party, Fire and Theft. This adds on fire damage and replacement if stolen to the previous level.

A lot of people these days have the top level which is Fully Comprehensive. This covers damage to other people and property, and your own car. You can then add on extras such as breakdown cover, or legal fees protection (up to £100,000) for accidents where you end up in court (either making or defending allegations).

There are no specific limits of which I am aware, for the amount that the other vehicles, property etc would require in order to be fixed; or likewise your own car if you have fully comp. The only limit I see is when a car would cost more in repairs than it is currently worth, in the which case an insurance company would write it off, and give you (usually under) market value for a replacement. Of course if you did cause major damage, and you were at fault, then expect a large rise in the cost of your premium the next year.

Lincense plate readers (California) only check if the car is stolen. There are no alerts on insurance or registration.

I've never seen insurance like that. It appears to be very different to ours. I googled how it works (personal liability per person in 1000s / total liability for all occupants in 1000s / total damage to property [including other vehicles and I would assume your own vehicle?] in 1000s).

Here we have 3rd Party Insurance which is mandatory (it covers only other people and other people's property, not yourself or your own car). The next step up is 3rd Party, Fire and Theft. This adds on fire damage and replacement if stolen to the previous level.

A lot of people these days have the top level which is Fully Comprehensive. This covers damage to other people and property, and your own car. You can then add on extras such as breakdown cover, or legal fees protection (up to £100,000) for accidents where you end up in court (either making or defending allegations).

There are no specific limits of which I am aware, for the amount that the other vehicles, property etc would require in order to be fixed; or likewise your own car if you have fully comp. The only limit I see is when a car would cost more in repairs than it is currently worth, in the which case an insurance company would write it off, and give you (usually under) market value for a replacement. Of course if you did cause major damage, and you were at fault, then expect a large rise in the cost of your premium the next year.

My wife was rear ended on the highway at 60 MPH 3 years ago. The driver had the base minimums and he burned through all of the insurance. Our uninsured/under insured motorist section of our policy kicked in and paid the remainder. We just settled on the case in March.

Timeline:
Theres also the fact now that your car is now worth about half it was when you bought it. Even if you fix it up like new, it will only be worth half of its original value. I would instruct the insurance company to write it off, otherwise you lose.

I had a similar incident on Friday the 13th of July on my 4 week old Honda Goldwing. I got hit in the rear of the bike at a stop light by an inattentive driver. The insurance people say it can be fixed for $15,000 but it is not a write off! So two weeks ago, my new GoldWing was worth $30,000 and after the repairs, it will be worth about $10,000! I would still be responsible for the full monthly payments for 5 years as though it was brand new.

I am going after my insurance company to go after the other guy's insurance company for the difference in value. I think this is a precedent setting move but I'm damned to let them get away with this. I'm getting a quote from the dealer to give me a price on a trade in for a new one and a trade in on a Wing with the same amount of mileage. In my case, 2400 km. I will then present these to the insurance company. In either case, I will NOT be accepting my old bike back. I have my 2016 75D to get me around although no where near as fun as the Wing.

Bottom line, do NOT accept your car to be fixed! Go after your insurance company aggressively. They are always trying to take the easy way out. You're the one that's losing out as your 4 week old car will only be worth less than half because of this. If you trade it in down the road, you'll be lucky to get 10 grand for it. Think about it!

vJvsJk2wS6WlxFoYjC15BQ.jpg