Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear ended - let's see how long this takes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theres also the fact now that your car is now worth about half it was when you bought it. Even if you fix it up like new, it will only be worth half of its original value. I would instruct the insurance company to write it off, otherwise you lose.

I had a similar incident on Friday the 13th of July on my 4 week old Honda Goldwing. I got hit in the rear of the bike at a stop light by an inattentive driver. The insurance people say it can be fixed for $15,000 but it is not a write off! So two weeks ago, my new GoldWing was worth $30,000 and after the repairs, it will be worth about $10,000! I would still be responsible for the full monthly payments for 5 years as though it was brand new.

I am going after my insurance company to go after the other guy's insurance company for the difference in value. I think this is a precedent setting move but I'm damned to let them get away with this. I'm getting a quote from the dealer to give me a price on a trade in for a new one and a trade in on a Wing with the same amount of mileage. In my case, 2400 km. I will then present these to the insurance company. In either case, I will NOT be accepting my old bike back. I have my 2016 75D to get me around although no where near as fun as the Wing.

Bottom line, do NOT accept your car to be fixed! Go after your insurance company aggressively. They are always trying to take the easy way out. You're the one that's losing out as your 4 week old car will only be worth less than half because of this. If you trade it in down the road, you'll be lucky to get 10 grand for it. Think about it!

View attachment 322442

Ouch! Friday the 13th really got you.
I've thought about this a little bit and think I really need to be looking in to a diminished value claim at the very minimum.
If the repair estimate is anywhere near reasonable at ~$8300 then I don't think there is a strong argument for a total loss, regardless, to be made whole, it does appear that I'll have to pursue this.

The good news is though, even after the CHP report showing no insurance, I just got a letter from an insurance company acknowledging a claim, with a claim number. The guy who hit me said he thought he had insurance but couldn't remember the name of the insurer but this company rhythms very well with what he was saying.
Will be talking to my agent first to make sure this isn't some scam then will probably work with that insurance company for diminished value.

I guess the first hurdle for me would still be to get my car back though. :)

Thanks!

I am going after my insurance company to go after the other guy's insurance company for the difference in value. I think this is a precedent setting move but I'm damned to let them get away with this

Not precedent setting, see wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminished_value

United States
Some states' statutes acknowledge diminished value and provide the ability for consumers to collect first party claims of DV from their own insurance companies under their own policies. Most states allow the consumer to collect third party claims from the at-fault driver's insurance company. Some states recognize liability for third party claims but not first party claims

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Ugh. Think I'll have to buckle in for the long long haul..
Called the body shop and confirmed they were still waiting on the quarter panel and bumper.... and when asked how long it would take after parts arrive he wouldn't commit but he though 3-4 weeks or more.

After this I called the Tesla body shop support line. This is where I got the grim news. They confirmed there are four outstanding components on the order for my car:
  • Trunk side trim - ETA Tuesday to warehouse, should ship to body shop by end of next week
  • Rear bumper / upper cover - ETA Tuesday to warehouse, should ship to body shop by end of next week
  • Rear body panel - In transit to body shop
  • Rear quarter panel - Expected at Tesla warehouse September 6th... Then still need to ship to body shop.

So - as looks today:
6/28 - arrived at body shop
guessing 9/10 for all parts at body shop
+ minimum of 3 week for body shop -- Maybe done by October 1st... ?

If that's the case it looks like it will take ~96 days between the accident (6/27) and when it looks like I may get my car back.

It’s united states. The law is so weak that you can’t prosecute anyone. It’s cheaper to pay the fine or take th verbal warning than it is to buy insurance.
It's depends on the state. Maryland is fairly militant with uninsured drivers. If your insurance company reports that you've let your insurance lapse, the state will come after you. Tickets, loss of registration, fines, etc.

Got a bit of an update calling the body shop support line today.
3 out of the 4 components shipped out on 8/7 to the body shop (trunk side trim, rear bumper / upper cover and rear body panel).

Bad news is the rear quarter panel is still not expected until 9/6 and then will still have to ship to the body shop and take 3-4 weeks for work to be done.

Looking strongly like this will turn in to a ~100 day ordeal to get my car repaired. :(

Got a bit of an update calling the body shop support line today.
3 out of the 4 components shipped out on 8/7 to the body shop (trunk side trim, rear bumper / upper cover and rear body panel).

Bad news is the rear quarter panel is still not expected until 9/6 and then will still have to ship to the body shop and take 3-4 weeks for work to be done.

Looking strongly like this will turn in to a ~100 day ordeal to get my car repaired. :(

I’m very sorry about the delays. I appreciate you keeping us updated!

Reactions: mike
Some good news to report today. I called the body shop line again to re-confirm the 9/6 ETA for the quarter panel and to my surprise they shipped it out today and it should arrive at the body shop on Friday (they even provided FedEx tracking #).

I'll probably follow up with the body shop early next week but there may be light at the end of this tunnel. :)

I'm surprised that people over there get away with driving uninsured. The cameras on police and DVLA vehicles can automatically check your insurance and road-tax status directly from your numberplate and post you a lovely fine / get someone to take away your car and crush it.

My parents went on a holiday in the early 90s in the USA. They came from Germany. They got some old automatic transmission american beater car from the car hire and laughed into the agents face when he suggested for them to get fully comp. He just said firmly "no, you REALLY need to get fully comp because even if you are not at fault you will have to pay for every damage yourself. This is America with plenty of uninsured drivers who can barely afford our cheap gas to drive their cars."

I've never seen insurance like that. It appears to be very different to ours. I googled how it works (personal liability per person in 1000s / total liability for all occupants in 1000s / total damage to property [including other vehicles and I would assume your own vehicle?] in 1000s).

Here we have 3rd Party Insurance which is mandatory (it covers only other people and other people's property, not yourself or your own car). The next step up is 3rd Party, Fire and Theft. This adds on fire damage and replacement if stolen to the previous level.

A lot of people these days have the top level which is Fully Comprehensive. This covers damage to other people and property, and your own car. You can then add on extras such as breakdown cover, or legal fees protection (up to £100,000) for accidents where you end up in court (either making or defending allegations).

There are no specific limits of which I am aware, for the amount that the other vehicles, property etc would require in order to be fixed; or likewise your own car if you have fully comp. The only limit I see is when a car would cost more in repairs than it is currently worth, in the which case an insurance company would write it off, and give you (usually under) market value for a replacement. Of course if you did cause major damage, and you were at fault, then expect a large rise in the cost of your premium the next year.

The UK insurance cartel is completely different and not really comparable to anything else in the world. I insured my old E46 actually in Germany for almost half a decade because the insurance cost there was about 150 pounds/year whereas in the UK it was like 4000 pounds/ year.....For third party only.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I came here looking for good news as my car just went into the shop today for similar damage. Dodge Ram hit the rear at a stop light. Luckily wife and kids were all ok. The damage didn't look that bad visually and didn't impact daily driving so I have been driving the car around for three weeks while the parts were ordered (rear gate, bumper, sensors, rear cross beam that got warped in the crash, and various odds and ends). I'm hopeful that everything goes smoothly once they start pulling off the busted parts but I'm not holding my breath and I think I'm prepared for the wait. I know it's only the first day at the shop but my Tesla app indicates that they haven't even moved the car from the parking spot where I dropped it off. :(

It sounds like this guy got his Model 3 repaired in 10 days!
Model 3 Parts ARE coming quicker. Fixed in under 2 weeks! • r/teslamotors

I wonder due to the increased production and population for the Model 3, you can expect much better supplies for repairs as it grows. The Model S is relatively niche as it was typically $80-100k+, but the Model 3 is intended as mass market car with expected mass market supplies with plenty spares.

I just think Tesla needs to fix their supply chain and once they do I think overall repair times will reduce significantly.

This was my damage....I was the meat in the Tesla sandwich.....the guy who hit me, his car looks 10X worse. Just anxious to see what the repair shop says tomorrow.

Attachments

• Mustang.JPG
    Mustang.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180827_111359.jpg
    20180827_111359.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180827_111437.jpg
    20180827_111437.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180827_115219.jpg
    20180827_115219.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 86
Ugh. Think I'll have to buckle in for the long long haul..
Called the body shop and confirmed they were still waiting on the quarter panel and bumper.... and when asked how long it would take after parts arrive he wouldn't commit but he though 3-4 weeks or more.

After this I called the Tesla body shop support line. This is where I got the grim news. They confirmed there are four outstanding components on the order for my car:
  • Trunk side trim - ETA Tuesday to warehouse, should ship to body shop by end of next week
  • Rear bumper / upper cover - ETA Tuesday to warehouse, should ship to body shop by end of next week
  • Rear body panel - In transit to body shop
  • Rear quarter panel - Expected at Tesla warehouse September 6th... Then still need to ship to body shop.

So - as looks today:
6/28 - arrived at body shop
guessing 9/10 for all parts at body shop
+ minimum of 3 week for body shop -- Maybe done by October 1st... ?

If that's the case it looks like it will take ~96 days between the accident (6/27) and when it looks like I may get my car back.
So sorry to hear of your loss and the crazy long lead times. That is a LONG time for what should be a common part.

This was my damage....I was the meat in the Tesla sandwich.....the guy who hit me, his car looks 10X worse. Just anxious to see what the repair shop says tomorrow.

Ouch, sorry for your loss! Somebody needs to start a "Save the Teslas" campaign. We need t-shirts and other swag so we can console each other in public.