Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars are designed to absorb as much damage as possible in the crumple zone, without pushing the engine and its components towards the passenger compartment. The damage you see on the Volvo would be similar on any modern car involved in frontal collision.

Sorry to see the damage to Model 3 though. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Reactions: Eclectic and dhu1
Sorry to see your damaged car and glad it wasn't worse. Did the police come? If so I would hope these days they would want to check his phone to see if he was on it at the time of the accident texting. Would also think insurance carriers would want to know this too as part of their routine claims investigation.

I liked reading that the flashers automatically came on. Are you able to open your trunk?

I hope Tesla has plans in place already to anticipate parts needed especially as things ramp up. Hope it's not a long wait for you and you got lucky it's still driveable.

Sorry to see your damaged car and glad it wasn't worse. Did the police come? If so I would hope these days they would want to check his phone to see if he was on it at the time of the accident texting. Would also think insurance carriers would want to know this too as part of their routine claims investigation.

I liked reading that the flashers automatically came on. Are you able to open your trunk?

I hope Tesla has plans in place already to anticipate parts needed especially as things ramp up. Hope it's not a long wait for you and you got lucky it's still driveable.
Yes, trunk opens. Like I said, everything is functional, even back up camera and all taillights. Went to tesla certified body shop—not sure when parts will be avail. Waiting to hear.

$1000 fine in my state of Australia.

Still not high enough, as it’s worse than drunk driving

My Model S has been rear ended three times. All three times it had been sitting at a standstill and was hit by a inattentive or distracted driver. I think rear ending someone should also incur a $1000 fine simply because there’s no excuse.

$1000 fine in my state of Australia.

Still not high enough, as it’s worse than drunk driving

Agree. The distracted fellow on his phone who hit my S would have hit me head on if I had not swerved off the road. He didn’t even brake, and never knew anything was wrong until his car hit mine. I was very, very lucky to escape that encounter mostly unscathed.

A stiffer punishment similar to drunk driving might make more people think about it before grabbing their phone and sending a text.

So sorry about your car, looks great though even after the incident. What I am curious about is, even in a case like there where the car is fine just need a few cosmetic parts, do you still HAVE to go to Tesla certified bodyshop on the M3 or can you go to a different place with parts and get them put on? Its just a matter of paint and putting them on.

I ask cause as I mentioned in another post and someone else here echoed, it will be VERY difficult for Tesla to follow this odd model of certified body shop only once enough of these cars are on the road.

Just a followup. Got a quote from a tesla certified body shop. Initial estimate is $8600 worth of damage. Not to mention having to re-apply the protective film... pretty much $10k of damage. The problem now is waiting for parts. I am hoping there is surplus of parts given the bottleneck is in the batteries.

Just a followup. Got a quote from a tesla certified body shop. Initial estimate is $8600 worth of damage. Not to mention having to re-apply the protective film... pretty much $10k of damage. The problem now is waiting for parts. I am hoping there is surplus of parts given the bottleneck is in the batteries.
Hope the car that rear ended you will cover all the repairs including the PPF.

Reactions: Pkmmte

What’s the damage other than bumper shell and trunk? Body panels (skin) are usually inexpsevie. Those two parts shouldn’t be more than $2k and another $500 to paint.

I think some of these so called Tesla certified body shops are bordering on insurance fraud. Which ultimately drives up everyones insurance premium.

So I will say some cars are meant to crumple, so a car NOT crumpling isn't always great. If the car crumples it takes the impact, otherwise you get hella whiplash.. so like my Honda CRV front crumpled in perfect going 40mph... my dash and front window was fine, the jeep I hit had nary a scratch on it, which is great that he doesn't have to pay a lot but it means his body absorbed a lot of impact. Crumpling isn't always bad if the cage in the center is protected.

Technically I paid, not mind but you know what I mean. It was my fault but I learned about crumple zones in that accident.

View attachment 280776 View attachment 280775 View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

Side note, hazard light immediately engages automatically once an accident occurs. It took me 5 mins to figure out where the hazard button was to disengage. Now the saga of trying to find parts to fix the 3. Given how slow production is, not sure if that helps or hurts my chances on getting parts I need to fix the car
View attachment 280776 View attachment 280775 View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

Side note, hazard light immediately engages automatically once an accident occurs. It took me 5 mins to figure out where the hazard button was to disengage. Now the saga of trying to find parts to fix the 3. Given how slow production is, not sure if that helps or hurts my chances on getting parts I need to fix the car
Just to update.....

Final tally for my repair bill $7850 +PPF replacement costs....actual repair time was 5-7 days, but getting the parts took about 2 months to get everything. They not only had to replace the bumper, floor pan and deck lid, but had to add paint to other parts of the car to ensure full blending. I certainly can't tell the difference between original and replacement painted areas. Unfortunately, they had to paint parts of omg rocker panel so had to rip off the PPF in that area as well. Will have to wait at least 30 days to replace the PPF since the paint on the bumper/rocker panels needs to cure.

Happy to have the car back and the car looks pretty much back to its original condition.

P.S. insurance company took care of everything including PPF costs.