Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FE21AA14-DDBD-438F-954B-6063ED248BC9.jpeg
9C980D06-53F8-4AC3-BD8D-7F33710270DC.jpeg
View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

Side note, hazard light immediately engages automatically once an accident occurs. It took me 5 mins to figure out where the hazard button was to disengage. Now the saga of trying to find parts to fix the 3. Given how slow production is, not sure if that helps or hurts my chances on getting parts I need to fix the car

Last edited:
View attachment 280776 View attachment 280775 View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

Side note, hazard light immediately engages automatically once an accident occurs. It took me 5 mins to figure out where the hazard button was to disengage. Now the saga of trying to find parts to fix the 3. Given how slow production is, not sure if that helps or hurts my chances on getting parts I need to fix the car
Any estimate on the speed of the Volvo at impact?

Reactions: X Fan
View attachment 280776 View attachment 280775 View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

I actually saw a trunk lid on ebay not too long ago.

Tesla Trunk Lid Liftgate Tailgate Shell Dark Green Grey / Clean No Damage | eBay

The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working.

@dhu1 I think you should reserve your judgment until you get the bumper cover off and see how much damage is currently hidden.

Thanks. Will see how long it takes from Tesla since it is only part of the total number of parts I need. Good backup option but would rather it be a new part.
One thing to consider is that the part on ebay appears to have factory applied paint on it. In my experiences, aftermarket paint rarely lasts as long or fades at the same rate as the factory paint job.

The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.
If you rear ended that Volvo it'd be the opposite. Front of the car always gets more damage than the rear - crumple zone etc. Nothing special about the M3 here.

@dhu1 I think you should reserve your judgment until you get the bumper cover off and see how much damage is currently hidden.
The car is fully functional sans parking assist/rear parking sensor. I took it in to Tesla service center this morning and they did a safety check and their viewpoint at this point is that it looks cosmetic at this point. Nothing in the diagnostics or sensors have been triggered. Autopilot works just fine. So at this point, they said no worries about continuing to drive it. Of course, we will have a more conclusive view when everything is dismantled, but since this is all new, it will be Tesla's vested interest to make sure we get back as close to new as possible.

If you rear ended that Volvo it'd be the opposite. Front of the car always gets more damage than the rear - crumple zone etc. Nothing special about the M3 here.
I'm sure you're probably right. Having said that, the volvo looked a lot worse in person than in the photo. Either ways, the force of the impact, surprised no other sensors/airbags were triggered or injuries involved on either party. bummed that it happened, but at the end of the day, nothing that can't be fixed. Lots more things in this world to worry about.....

Hmm, I recall reading posts on TMC that "Volvo has better automatic emergency braking than Tesla" ... etc.
Can;'t trust what you read on TMC I guess. o_O
I wouldn't disparage volvo here....this was an older volvo, likely 10 years old. So I doubt it had AEB. I also have a volvo and have complete faith in its safety capabilities. I think my comments was more to show how well constructed/designed is the Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn