TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Rear Lighted T

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by WATTS-UP, May 16, 2018.

1. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

Looking to do a video of a Model 3 rear lighted "T" install. Anyone interested?

• Like x 2
  2. asad04

asad04 Member

Yeah, would be interesting to watch.

3. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

Looking for someone with a MODEL 3 so that we can do the install video. The install would be a no charge and the "T" itself
    would be at a discounted price. If anyone is interested and will to drive to Middletown Delaware give me a heads up.

4. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Having just had a Digital Plate put on I have seen how much effort it is to get power to the trunk lid. #1 it's a bear to go up the provided wire harness on the one side of the trunk, but my guy managed to do it. WD-40 is your friend.

IMG_6356.JPG

Then #2 getting the inside piece off was something he never managed. Ended up just popping a couple of clips and doing it all with the tiniest of access (probably why #1 was so hard).

IMG_9848.JPG

Oh, #3 remember the skin is thin aluminum, it will dent with the simple pressure of the drill to start a hole.

IMG_8682.JPG

I assume you know about getting power to the T so I will not talk about the other end of the run. For mine, I needed full-time power that went to the battery.

IMG_4185.JPG
    Final Result, Digital License Plate. That's obviously not my plate number, when it was uploaded to the plate it also changed orientation.

-Randy

• Like x 1
  5. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

We did an install of the lighted rear "T" on a 3 month ago but did not do the video. Didn't have any of the problems you encountered.
    I will agree that the rubber boot with the wire harness took a little time to come up with a way to run the wires through. But over all
    it is a lot quicker then doing the rear "T" on a Model S or X.

6. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I never understood the appeal of digital license plates...

7. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I'll order one today if I can change what it says on the fly to put up messages like "YOU'RE FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE, ASSHAT" or "THERE'S NO FOG" or "GET OUT OF THE HOV LANE, NUMBNUTS"

• Like x 1
  8. CactusOne

CactusOne Member

Hmmm, if you can install an ON/OFF switch, it might come in handy ;)

9. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I was thinking more of a message board that is voice activated