Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I’ve been having a look through the forums in the hopes of finding a “perfect fit” style of sunshade for the rear passenger windows and so far I’m struggling.

I have however found a company called Trokot that seem to do this but they don’t currently have the Model 3 listed. I’ve contacted them to ask if it would be possible for them to make these but in the meantime I thought I’d ask if anyone has found any “perfect fit” ones?

Homepage - Trokot Window Car Shades

Last edited:
I've looked into this extensively when trying to find something to cover the windows when camping.

There wasn't anything out there at the time that fitted well so ended up making my own.

With the frameless doors and windows that dip upon door opening it makes designing any sort of shade tricky. You're probably best going for a tint instead.

Here's some shades that I bought:

20200919_184926.jpg

And the one's that I made (with camping as the purpose)

20201017_111106.jpg

Last edited:
I've looked into this extensively when trying to find something to cover the windows when camping.

There wasn't anything out there at the time that fitted well so ended up making my own.

With the frameless doors and windows that dip upon door opening it makes designing any sort of shade tricky. You're probably best going for a tint instead.

Here's some shades that I bought:

View attachment 638247

And the one's that I made (with camping as the purpose)

View attachment 638248
IMAG1663.jpg

If total obscuration is your goal, these will do it as well as reject a lot of solar heat. Very bitty and faffamatic but YMMV

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.

As @|Chris| mentions it’s more of a mesh style that I’m thinking of. There do seem to be a few companies that do these type of shades but just not for the Model 3 yet.

The company on my original post are only a few miles away from me so I’m thinking they could use my car as a template. The prices for other makes/models don’t seem too unreasonable either so hopefully it works out.

Finally had a response from the company on this and unfortunately it’s a no from them as the model 3 has frameless doors. I’m not sure why this makes much of a difference as the shades magnetically attach to fixtures that are stuck onto the door frame using 3M tape (these could be attached to the interior of the car and the bottom of the window without much/any difference).

I’ve queried this with them and I’m just waiting for another response - this might be just me but I would’ve have expected it to be too hard to make these (for a professional company).

They would still need to make the shade smaller than the window, so that when the window rolls down when you open a door it wouldn't get pushed off by the door panel. So you will have a 1" or so gap at the bottom.
The link to the ones from @Medved_77 look good and I’m interested to see how they turn out as well.
In terms of the ones mentioned above, they don’t actually attach to the window/in the frame at the bottom of the window. There’s about half a centimetre between the glass and the sun shade which is the reason behind my thinking. No response from the company to my follow up email though.

Are you referring to the Trokot ones when you say there’s a half centimeter at the bottom? I can’t see that from the pictures. They are magnetic so they require a framed windows as they attach to the frame with magnets.

If you are referring to the luckeasy, the “roll” attached to the top of the door card with 3m tape. Had to scroll down quite a while to find that. This keeps it from being affected when the window rolls down. My only concern is going to be whether it will seal with the clip over the glass or if I’ll have to rig some type of suction cup to attach to window. I will find out in a few weeks I guess.

Just the Trokot ones, and it’s not a gap around the shade but between the window and the shade (like a wall cavity).
The magnets are attached to the car using 3M tape from what I’ve seen so they should be able to attach to the door/frame regardless of the window being frameless (it’s much easier to show what I mean than describe).

Sort of, just the other way around. If you imagine the door is open then the clips would be on the door frame (not the door) at the top and both sides. The sun shade is then magnetically attached to the clips so the door/window can be open and the shade isn’t affected by it. Hope that makes sense.

The shade would only be held on by the magnets and just pulled off before/after the door is opened (depending on if your on the inside/outside. Again, it might just be that describing this isn’t doing justice compared to being shown.
It doesn’t look like I’m getting a response from the Trokot company anyway but luckily I’ve found another one that workon a similar basis. Link below:

Hopefully I can find a review for them somewhere.

Yeah, so say I have a baby in a car seat. I have to open the door, set the baby on the ground, remove the screen, set it on the floor of the car, then put baby in the car then replace the screen then close door. To take baby out, have to open door, remove screen, place screen on floor, remove baby from car, set baby on ground, replace screen, close door and pick up baby. No way. Even if I leave the screen on the floor when the car isn't occupied it is still a couple of extra steps each time going in and out.