Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Suspension Upper Control Arm Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am starting this thread to find out how many others are waiting for this suspension part.

Tesla have told me there are 380 cars in the UK waiting for a rear upper control arm and can’t give me an estimate on how long the wait is.

And whilst I’m waiting they have advised me not to drive the car!

TLDR - Suspension part on long back order, have been told not to drive car, will fail upcoming MOT, Tesla not offering alternative transport - advice?

Background:

Over the past couple of months our 2019 M3 SR+ has developed a noticeable squeak coming from the rear left corner when manoeuvring or going over bumps at low speeds.
During the heat wave whilst in stop and go traffic it honestly sounded like a haunted house door creaking open and shut!

I got in touch with Tesla who arranged mobile service to come and assess.
Around the same time it had also developed a flapping sound from the windscreen when going over 65mph - turned out the washer nozzle pipes had come loose and hadn’t been routed correctly (easy mobile fix 👍).
The mobile ranger said he couldn’t pinpoint the source of the rear squeak but he thought it was likely the upper control arm and it would need a service centre visit to confirm.

Mobile ranger was very good and arranged the SC appointment for me - he specifically noted that he suspected the upper control arm.

Two weeks later the SC visit comes up and I get confirmation on the diagnosis as suspected by the ranger.
I am then informed that in its current state that the car would fail an MOT and therefore I am advised against driving the car. (Or if I really have to then drive gently and not too far!)

The new part is on back order with 380 cars already waiting. They can’t give any estimate of how long it will be to get the part - “could be weeks or months…”

I am now 6 weeks away from needing the first MOT. I have been driving with the squeak for months and I’m happy to keep using the car for now but if it fails MOT then I suspect the insurance will no longer be valid. I’ve made the SC aware of this but they said they can’t do anything about the wait and also can’t offer any form of alternative transport if my car is deemed unroadworthy!

Overall I have to say my experience with Tesla service has been great, arranging appointments, communication, etc. The main issue is lack of parts and then no options for alternative mobility.

I know people have had issues with long waits for windscreens and other parts but hadn’t found any threads relating to this issue recently. Anyone else in a similar situation with advice? Thanks

Hi, I am starting this thread to find out how many others are waiting for this suspension part.

Tesla have told me there are 380 cars in the UK waiting for a rear upper control arm and can’t give me an estimate on how long the wait is.

TLDR - Suspension part on long back order, have been told not to drive car, will fail upcoming MOT, Tesla not offering alternative transport - advice?

Background:

Over the past couple of months our 2019 M3 SR+ has developed a noticeable squeak coming from the rear left corner when manoeuvring or going over bumps at low speeds.
During the heat wave whilst in stop and go traffic it honestly sounded like a haunted house door creaking open and shut!

Around the same time it had also developed a flapping sound from the windscreen when going over 65mph - turned out the washer nozzle pipes had come loose and hadn’t been routed correctly (easy mobile fix 👍).
The mobile ranger said he couldn’t pinpoint the source of the rear squeak but he thought it was likely the upper control arm and it would need a service centre visit to confirm.

Mobile ranger was very good and arranged the SC appointment for me - he specifically noted that he suspected the upper control arm.

Two weeks later the SC visit comes up and I get confirmation on the diagnosis as suspected by the ranger.
I am then informed that in its current state that the car would fail an MOT and therefore I am advised against driving the car. (Or if I really have to then drive gently and not too far!)

The new part is on back order with 380 cars already waiting. They can’t give any estimate of how long it will be to get the part - “could be weeks or months…”

I am now 6 weeks away from needing the first MOT. I have been driving with the squeak for months and I’m happy to keep using the car for now but if it fails MOT then I suspect the insurance will no longer be valid. I’ve made the SC aware of this but they said they can’t do anything about the wait and also can’t offer any form of alternative transport if my car is deemed unroadworthy!

Overall I have to say my experience with Tesla service has been great, arranging appointments, communication, etc. The main issue is lack of parts and then no options for alternative mobility.

I know people have had issues with long waits for windscreens and other parts but hadn’t found any threads relating to this issue recently. Anyone else in a similar situation with advice? Thanks
Your car is still under warranty. Their lack of parts is a problem that shouldn't be borne entirely by you. I would be arguing strongly for a replacement vehicle if your car needs to be off the road.

Background:

What is the part number of the control arm on backorder?

Might be the same issue I had. Notable squeak from the rear, got so bad it sounded like I was driving round an old bed/clown car
Part replaced was 1044427-00-C Right Rear upper forearm Link Assembly.
The bad news it it took 4 months for them to get the part.
The good news is, they told me they had ordered a huge number of them on their way over from Europe a few weeks before my part came into stock, so they should have a load of them in the UK now.
My car went in twice for a safely inspection while waiting, and both times they said it was still safe to drive, it also passed its MOT

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger