Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ah, mine is in there...

recall.png

Reactions: AussieOwner
I booked my affected M3 into the local service centre when the recall was first announced end December. The service centre sent an immediate cancellation back with the advice that the recall is yet to be released for Asia Pacific (and let's assume it has been now), and that I'll be notified if I'm affected (and my VIN is on the list). Still waiting...

Looks like mine is on the list also. I suspect they will let me know if they want me to come in. Its working fine for now, so unless I start getting close to end of warranty or it stops working, I wont bother booking it myself. If there is any other reason for booking a service, I might get them to have a look.

So something weird is up.

My VIN is listed on the Govt Recall Page: REC-005040 - Tesla, Inc. - TESLA Model 3 2017 - 2020 | Vehicle Recalls

But not when I do the VIN Search via Tesla: Tesla Service

I assume the Tesla page just hasn't been updated yet.

Anyway, I booked a service check, I like how it shows Tesla service sites in different states... Canberra, only 400+km away :)
Something weird is up!

I received notification for the recall of the trunk wiring harness. I made an appointment in a month to get fixed. Two days later, I get a call from Tesla that they have openings to come in tomorrow, but to fix 3 different issues, trunk issue, charging port issue, and some ball seal issue, but not the trunk wiring issue. I was told my car doesn't need that, despite it being on the government and Tesla recall website. None of the other issues were listed on either the government or Tesla recall sites.

Does anyone know what gives? I am very confused.

Something weird is up!

I received notification for the recall of the trunk wiring harness. I made an appointment in a month to get fixed. Two days later, I get a call from Tesla that they have openings to come in tomorrow, but to fix 3 different issues, trunk issue, charging port issue, and some ball seal issue, but not the trunk wiring issue. I was told my car doesn't need that, despite it being on the government and Tesla recall website. None of the other issues were listed on either the government or Tesla recall sites.

Does anyone know what gives? I am very confused.

Tesla checks for things that have occurred to a few cars, but not worthy of a recall. It's an internal 'service bulletin'. Basically it pops up as something to check the next time they happen to see your car.

So anyone know if Tesla Australia has the parts to fix this yet? Not sure if I should try to book in again to get it fixed.
I don't believe so because the service centres seem to be dodging it. I had my car recently serviced, and only the ball joint issue appeared on the job list to be sorted. The ranger seemed to know little about the trunk cable recall. Interestingly, before he left I looked at the Tesla app and there was a notification appearing for it which the ranger then took a photo of to report back. Well, nothing came out of that. Regardless I've checked the connection between boot and body and there appears to be nothing of concern on my car.

Personally, I think this particular recall has been very poorly managed and communicated.

Personally, I think this particular recall has been very poorly managed and communicated.

But also a very low risk of the issue of concern actually happening. I mean, I can see how potentially the way that cable flexes when you open and close the boot could ultimately lead to its failure, and putting on a bend-radius-guard would solve it. But really, it‘s low risk and low priority. Tesla will get around to fixing it eventually.

How does that differ from what you get as standard?
the newer cars get this standard, however plenty of us purchased the Model 3 in 2019 when it was not standard or even an option, so we would really like to see an option to purchase and have it installed, however Tesla Australia is rather light on details and availability, seem similar to the Tesla towing option that is available in US and EU, and initially the Australian sales said it would shortly come and can be installed after the car purchase, however its been 3 years and still no more details on this.