Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 receiver hitch for bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A buddy of mine on the South Island of New Zealand is taking delivery of his 2022 Model 3 late May. He is asking about a receiver hitch for his wife's 60lb. Ebike.
1) Can he order his Model 3 with a receiver hitch?
2) What size is the hitch tube? 1", 1.5"?
3) What make of bike rack should he research for this purpose?
4) What should he be aware of when mounting a bike rack on the back of his Model 3?

I currently have a 1Up bike rack for my wife's Ebike mounted on the back of my RV. We do not take her Ebike on her 2018 Model 3.
Responses will be forwarded to my buddy who lives in Dunedin on the South Island of New Zealand.

A buddy of mine on the South Island of New Zealand is taking delivery of his 2022 Model 3 late May. He is asking about a receiver hitch for his wife's 60lb. Ebike.
1) Can he order his Model 3 with a receiver hitch?
2) What size is the hitch tube? 1", 1.5"?
3) What make of bike rack should he research for this purpose?
4) What should he be aware of when mounting a bike rack on the back of his Model 3?

I currently have a 1Up bike rack for my wife's Ebike mounted on the back of my RV. We do not take her Ebike on her 2018 Model 3.
Responses will be forwarded to my buddy who lives in Dunedin on the South Island of New Zealand.
Tesla used to offer a Tow Hitch option on the order page for European Model 3s, but that no longer shows up as an option. It appears that the tow hitch option is an off-menu item currently, and one has to contact Tesla to purchase the option after ordering (based on this thread Tow bar no longer available for new Model 3 orders?). I do not believe Tesla ever offered the option of a tow hitch in New Zealand or Australia.

In the US, we just buy an aftermarket hitch for our Model 3s. There are 3 different manufacturers that I know of that make them: Torklift, Stealth Hitches, and Curt. Looks like for New Zealand you should look in this thread for guidance The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA! or here for ordering the hitch directly and doing it yourself Tesla Tow Bars ANZ EV Stealth Solutions

P.S. I will leave the following descriptions I wrote about North American options for tow hitches only because I wrote them all out before I found a thread specific to New Zealand and Australia. Feel free to skip it.

I have the Torklift Ecohitch and it is available with either 2" or 1.25" receiver tube. I chose the 1.25" receiver because I wanted it to be as high off the ground as possible and it allows a little more ground clearance at the rear (don't have to worry about driving up steep inclines). I believe most bike carriers are made for 2", so you might want to go with that instead so you don't have to add a 2" to 1.25" adapter. As a bonus on the 2" version only, it now looks like Torklift makes it out of 304 stainless steel (the 1.25" and previous 2" version were made of regular powder-coated steel). The Torklift Ecohitch receiver tube is removeable by unscrewing one bolt with a wrench.

The Stealth Hitches setup is a bit easier to remove the receiver when not in use because it uses a twist knob (with a key) to unlock it. It only comes with a 2" receiver, but you can buy a 1.25" receiver attachment for extra money.

The Curt hitch is the least expensive option and also comes in a 2" or 1.25" version, but is fixed and you cannot remove the receiver block when not in use. Also, it is the least likely to fit without having to make it's bolt holes bigger, based on a few experiences I've read.
or

Tesla used to offer a Tow Hitch option on the order page for European Model 3s, but that no longer shows up as an option. It appears that the tow hitch option is an off-menu item currently, and one has to contact Tesla to purchase the option after ordering (based on this thread Tow bar no longer available for new Model 3 orders?). I do not believe Tesla ever offered the option of a tow hitch in New Zealand or Australia.

In the US, we just buy an aftermarket hitch for our Model 3s. There are 3 different manufacturers that I know of that make them: Torklift, Stealth Hitches, and Curt. Looks like for New Zealand you should look in this thread for guidance The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA! or here for ordering the hitch directly and doing it yourself Tesla Tow Bars ANZ EV Stealth Solutions

P.S. I will leave the following descriptions I wrote about North American options for tow hitches only because I wrote them all out before I found a thread specific to New Zealand and Australia. Feel free to skip it.

I have the Torklift Ecohitch and it is available with either 2" or 1.25" receiver tube. I chose the 1.25" receiver because I wanted it to be as high off the ground as possible and it allows a little more ground clearance at the rear (don't have to worry about driving up steep inclines). I believe most bike carriers are made for 2", so you might want to go with that instead so you don't have to add a 2" to 1.25" adapter. As a bonus on the 2" version only, it now looks like Torklift makes it out of 304 stainless steel (the 1.25" and previous 2" version were made of regular powder-coated steel). The Torklift Ecohitch receiver tube is removeable by unscrewing one bolt with a wrench.

The Stealth Hitches setup is a bit easier to remove the receiver when not in use because it uses a twist knob (with a key) to unlock it. It only comes with a 2" receiver, but you can buy a 1.25" receiver attachment for extra money.

The Curt hitch is the least expensive option and also comes in a 2" or 1.25" version, but is fixed and you cannot remove the receiver block when not in use. Also, it is the least likely to fit without having to make it's bolt holes bigger, based on a few experiences I've read.
or
Thank so very much. My buddy in New Zealand will appreciate this information greatly. I am bringing him up to speed hopefully not to fast so I don't scare him too much! Max lives in Dunedin and travels to his "Lake House" in Twizel periodically. Anybody that gets a chance to travel there (in the future) will be in for a treat. We visited 3 years ago, what an absolutely beautiful country. Even the cheapest brand of beer is great.

or
Thanks for all the US info! I would like to have a hitch on my (yet to receive) Model 3 for transporting bikes. It used to be said that hitches could void Tesla's battery warranty. Do you know if this is still true?

Thanks for all the US info! I would like to have a hitch on my (yet to receive) Model 3 for transporting bikes. It used to be said that hitches could void Tesla's battery warranty. Do you know if this is still true?
It's still possible to get your drivetrain warranty voided if something breaks or you
have an issue that Tesla believes was caused by towing. The chances of that happening are very low, and I personally didn't worry about it.

Also be sure to check out the articles on galvanic corrosion of Tesla bodywork caused by after-market hitches. The photos are a bit disturbing!

e.g. Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive
This hasn't been an issue in over 4 years. Both popular aftermarket hitches come with nylon spacers to avoid direct contact between the steel and aluminum.

Reactions: pbar
This hasn't been an issue in over 4 years. Both popular aftermarket hitches come with nylon spacers to avoid direct contact between the steel and aluminum.

That's good to know! I had a StealthHitch on my BMW M4 and really loved it for carrying bikes. The locking/release mechanism is great.
I was thinking of putting one on my M3P but got worried about the corrosion issue (since I lease the car) and went for a seasucker instead. Both great options for carrying bikes.

It's still possible to get your drivetrain warranty voided if something breaks or you
have an issue that Tesla believes was caused by towing. The chances of that happening are very low, and I personally didn't worry about it.

Thanks for the info!

I will pick up my new Model 3 next week, and I am considering installing the Stealth EcoHitch to use with my 1Up Super Duty double rack. Planning to carry two e-bikes, so the combined rack plus bike weight is almost 150 lbs. I am concerned about fitment with the rack in the storage position. Will the 1Up rack hit the rear bumper when it is folded up in the storage position? I do not want to use the hitch extender due to the heavy load. Does anyone have experience with fitting the Stealth EcoHitch and 1Up Super or Heavy Duty rack on a Model 3?

I will pick up my new Model 3 next week, and I am considering installing the Stealth EcoHitch to use with my 1Up Super Duty double rack. Planning to carry two e-bikes, so the combined rack plus bike weight is almost 150 lbs. I am concerned about fitment with the rack in the storage position. Will the 1Up rack hit the rear bumper when it is folded up in the storage position? I do not want to use the hitch extender due to the heavy load. Does anyone have experience with fitting the Stealth EcoHitch and 1Up Super or Heavy Duty rack on a Model 3?
I wish you luck with your inquiry....I can only comment that I have a 1Up Heavy Duty rack on my 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and it works great hauling a single 65lb. Ebike. Folds up nicely when not in use. Good Luck! My buddy "Max" from South Island New Zealand is hoping to get his Model 3 shortly and is researching bike racks. I'll look up Stealth Eco Hitch and pass it on to him. Please post a photo of your set up when complete.

Reactions: tm3lrawd