Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what accounts for the bump in the advertised range? It can't be just the sport wheels because the increased range applies to configuations that don't get new wheels.

Which vehicles don't get new wheels? All 3 wheels - base 18" with covers, sport 19", performance 20" turbines - are new. And they all look more closed off at the face i.e. should be more aerodynamic.

But the increase in range isn't wheels alone. I know atleast the 20" has Pirellis, which is possibly more efficient. I think it's heat pump, and speculate possibly diff battery as well.

Attachments

• 1667D96A-145C-4FAD-AF84-E75817ADE8F5.png
    1667D96A-145C-4FAD-AF84-E75817ADE8F5.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 124
WLTP is a different standard than EPA, it's always higher.

I stand corrected, I am though quite surprised at the dramatic difference from a longer more dynamic testing approach. That’s a bit of a worry for EVs that have recently come to the market with way lower EPA range, it means they’ll a,so be a third less under WLTP and then worse again in real world. Puts Tesla even further ahead.

Does it reset your place in the queue? I think I might hold and see what gets assigned. I should be able to change at that point. Doesn’t seem to be any LR / performance inventory in the UK so hopefully okay to be in line for the refresh

I'm the same. Now in two minds as to whether I should update configuration and cancel my order in order to ensure I get a refresh.

Ok so about the heat pump and the range increase, I'm slightly confused. If the range increase is due to the heat pump, we would see a relatively higher increase in the SR+ than the LR because the energy lost to heating the cabin is constant; say it used to be 4kwh and now is 1kwh, this benetits the SR more (3 kwh is a 6% increase of the 50kwh pack, vs 3,5% on the LR 80kwh)

The range increase we're seeing matches more with a higher density battery, because a 5% improvement means 2,5kwh more on SR and 4kwh more on LR, which they can just multiply by m/kwh to get the numbers we're seeing.

Heat pump could still be in there, but the relation to the range increase seems unlikely?

Heat pump is only available on AWD models according to head of communications here in Norway.