Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date still shows as blank. I'm hoping sometime this week this updates so I can start planning selling my existing car etc...
Are you checking from your phone?

For some reason, it does not show up on the mobile site for me either but when I open it up on my laptop/ desktop, it shows the delivery estimate. Might want to give it a shot to see if it appears there.

So what do people think... are the new acceleration numbers actually a boost or are they just Tesla catching up on updating their official times because the cars have been beating those old times for awhile...
To me it’s catching up. After 2-3 power increases they haven’t updated their site. Total marketing. The new car will not have the new cells. DU are the same. Only thing mechanically different is the heat pump which gives better range in cold climates only.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Looks like you do live in a cold state. I highly suggest you get one with a heat pump. Normal driving most of us are realistically around 220-240 real miles without one. During cold weather you’re only gonna get 160ish miles. Don’t go off EPA miles. I’d suggest reading or asking someone local on their “real” miles.
Don't listen to him. If you use the heater smart you can have almost summer consumption in near 0C.

What you must do - turn the seat heater on 5 minutes before going in and start preheating. Not more than 5 minutes. Then go inside, drive, and in about 10 minutes turn on heater, but not on Auto because it turns on AC which first cools off the canin then heats it(don't ask why) - turn heater on, AC off, manual to 2. That's it. I have managed 130Wh/km or 210Wh/m(330 miles real range) in dead of winter heating like that and if you are in stop and go just using the seat heater is mostly enough.
The heat pump is just for lazy people, who like to have it on Auto. The only real advantage is if you are camping inside the car in around 0-10C. And also, not confirmed, during battery heating

Curious about the metalized steering wheel controls since it's something you constantly interact with. They are easy to replace assuming rest of steering wheel remains unchanged.

Stock:
d0Fjxpi.jpeg

Reactions: gabaum10
Don't listen to him. If you use the heater smart you can have almost summer consumption in near 0C.

What you must do - turn the seat heater on 5 minutes before going in and start preheating. Not more than 5 minutes. Then go inside, drive, and in about 10 minutes turn on heater, but not on Auto because it turns on AC which first cools off the canin then heats it(don't ask why) - turn heater on, AC off, manual to 2. That's it. I have managed 130Wh/km or 210Wh/m(330 miles real range) in dead of winter heating like that and if you are in stop and go just using the seat heater is mostly enough.
The heat pump is just for lazy people, who like to have it on Auto. The only real advantage is if you are camping inside the car in around 0-10C. And also, not confirmed, during battery heating
Don’t have to take my word for it. TONS upon TONS of threads on here and FB about shitty range in cold weather. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Don’t have to take my word for it. TONS upon TONS of threads on here and FB about shitty range in cold weather. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Yeah, and tons upon tons of other clueless threads about other stuff like degradation. If "tons upon tons" of something on the internet were any indication for anything we wouldn't have the dumbest person alive as a president of the US...
Do you even own a Tesla or have experience with one? Because I have two winters behind me in a Model 3 and actually know what I am talking about and have most of it on video, including summer range in winter cold in the city by following exactly the advice I gave above.

Looks like a lot of work to drive a "smart" car.
Don't listen to him. If heat pump doesn't help then why did Tesla decide to include it.

Looks like a lot of work to drive a "smart" car.
Don't listen to him. If heat pump doesn't help then why did Tesla decide to include it.
Yeah having a “check list” to start your car to gain “some“ miles is completely pointless to me but whatever. Kinda like hypermilers driving 50mph on the freeway and saying yeah...you can totally get EPA range. Get real.

I don't think he's saying it doesn't help. He's just conveying some tips for improving winter range. I know I'll give them a shot this year.
Exactly. This was as a suggestion to take the car if heat pump was the only variable. It does take a few extra steps to make the car more efficient without the heat pump, but it is doable. And no,
just turning on seat heater doesn't require masters in engineering like some make it to be...

I think Tesla could actually improve their PTC via software - the main problem was actually the software that turned the AC on to cool down the air(humidity?) and then heat it up. Also they fired up the heater faster(using more kW) so it means if you drive slower and heat much, the penalty will be higher, because the heater will heat the car regardless if it takes you 60 minutes to travel 10 miles or 10 minutes.
This is also what Elon said on Twitter, basically confirming anything I previously said.

The main and biggest advantages of a heat pump:
-slow traffic, short drives in temps of 0-10°C - biggest advantage if you like to put it on "Auto" and forget about it - can be mitigated by turning manual and using seat heaters on PTC car.

- camp mode in the same temp or slightly below freezing.
- (not confirmed) heating up the battery should be more efficient- will test it once it arrives

Negatives:
-weight
-another thing that will break(PTC elements are more robust)
-noise - these things are loud
- not much benefit in warm weather or long commutes over high speeds above 60mph-the benefit here is roughly 2kWh over the full battery charge. This is about 3% more range or 10 miles or so at highway speeds

Last edited:
So what do people think... are the new acceleration numbers actually a boost or are they just Tesla catching up on updating their official times because the cars have been beating those old times for awhile...

I think we will (hopefully!) learn that the new M3 refresh has the Y motor with more capability - Nobody can confirm, but it would make sense to be able to continue to unlock more speed with updates

Reactions: imola.zhp