TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 refuses to wake up via app

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pkmmte, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Looks like my car may be more like me than I thought. Ever since the last 2018.28 update, my Model 3 refuses to wake up via the app after 1 hour.

If I open one of the doors, she wakes up perfectly fine in the app, but only within a ~1 hour period. This makes pre-conditioning (and summon, to a certain degree) fairly useless to me. :/

On the bright side, vampire drain is basically gone completely now.

Any way to force wake up the Model 3 without physically opening up a door?

2. Enginerd

Enginerd Member

I've had intermittent wake-up via the app in the past few days. Not sure why.

3. SigNC

SigNC Member

I've had same issue as well. 28.2

4. fiatlux

fiatlux Member

Same here. Approximately an hour after the latest drive/door open event, the car simply will not wake up before the app times out and reports an error.

On 28.5 and iOS.

5. CAM#3

CAM#3 Member

Same...get "vehicle connection error" on first try. Then each time when I hit the try again it wakes up. So hit that retry arrow and maybe that should wake up yours as well. Mine on 26.3 version

6. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

same here on wifi

7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Same on 26.3. It seems to be an "either-or" thing with vampire drain or having the car more responsive. If that really is the case, I wish Tesla would give you the ability to manage power options like you can in desktop computers. Have the owner decide if vampire drain is worth a more responsive car or not.

8. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I agree, this setting would be nice. There are times during which I want to preserve battery to save a trip to a supercharger, and there are times when I'd rather have pre-conditioning/summon.

This morning would've been a perfect use for summon. I had to move my car to let a family member use the one behind. I could've used my dashcam's live view along with summon so I didn't have to get up from bed and rush to the parking lot.

9. tread

tread Member

Same here, on 28.1. I typically have to let the wake run on the app for 10 or 20 seconds, then force close the app, then it tends to work after that.

10. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Same... I think Tesla are messing with their servers personally. It was fine before that.

• Like x 2
  11. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I've been also having issues with wake-up via app in the past few days as well.

Software 28.2 / Running iOS 12 beta on iPhone X

Some suggestions/tips to help wake-up:
    • Unlock/Lock car
    • Toggle On/Off Bluetooth
    • Force Close App and reopen

Also depends on long the car has been sleeping for and if it is in a "deep sleep" rather than a shorter sleep period.

• Like x 1
  12. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

I am hopeful 32.2 fixes me up. I feared it was my phone so I installed it on a second phone and had the issue with both phones, so it's gotta be the car or Tesla itself.

-Randy

13. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I agree, this definitely seems like a server side issue to me. I also noticed problems waking up my Model 3 via the app which started a few days ago. I was on 2018.26.3 when I first noticed the wake up/communication issue and the issue persists with 2018.32.2 which I just updated to yesterday. The fact that this started happening for all of us at the same time with a variety of vehicle software versions and it didn’t start immediately after installing a new update all point a problem on Tesla’s end.

14. PoitNarf

There’s also a reddit thread about this problem: Model 3 wake up issue with 28.5 : teslamotors

One of the people in that thread said this:

I had to call Tesla today about something else and there's a message on the service line saying they're having issues with mobile app connectivity. Sounds like a global problem for all Teslas.
    So it looks like Tesla is aware of the issue and they are working on a fix.

15. SigNC

SigNC Member

Nice, I'm much happier with everybody in pain and not just me. :)

• Funny x 3
  16. tread

tread Member

It seems as of today wake up in app is only taking 5 - 10 seconds for me now. Hopefully server issues have been resolved if that was indeed the issue.

17. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Yip, me too. No change in the car or the phone, so it must have been the servers this whole time.

-Randy

18. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Same here. If anything, it now feels a lot more responsive than before! Now I just need to see if the vampire drain in back too...

• Like x 1
  19. CodyKat

CodyKat New Member

I was having trouble the last few days. It seems to be working now. I'm on 28.3

20. PoitNarf

Seems better for me so far as well. Fingers crossed!