Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 refuses to wake up via app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had this happen to me, until i hooked up my car to wifi at the location with issues, then it woke up fine.

for me (not sure about others), my theory is that at this parking spot my lte was at 1-2 bars. seems that when the car sleeps lte is somehow impacted, and becomes completely dead. of course, it could just be something else, but at least this fixed it for me.

Mine started having issues for the first time yesterday, was at home were my Model 3 was connected to my wifi and so was my phone, both with strong signal. So i am thinking its more of the backend of Tesla. Before yesterday it has been consistent and rock solid for me.

Just to balance it out, I am on v9 and have had no issues, including being 2 days into a road trip, all the checking in with the car one does when you are eating or sleeping, lots of turning on climate remotely and getting into a locked car. Not a single issue.

-Randy

I'm also having similar issues. Started several versions back - was seriously hoping version 9 would fix it.
I have no issue communicating with the car while it is charging or when it is 'awake'. Once it's been parked for a while though, no dice.

Reactions: fiatlux
Been having constant issues with the phone app getting "connection error" or "server error" after the car's been asleep for a few days or so. Also having tons of issues with my Phone Key being "disconnected". Only way to fix the phone key is to turn airplane mode on/off, and then it'll show "connected". But not much afterwards, it'll go back to "disconnected" status again. Quite annoying that, as I walk up to the car, I have to fool around with the airplane mode settings in order to get my phone key connected.

--Cintoman

I'm stilling having very poor performance here. 90%+ of the time it just times out. Doesn't matter where I've parked my car. Now days, even when I've got a long walk to my car, I'm making it to the car before the app ever connects! This is taking a useful feature and flushing it, IMO...Anyone else?

It’s been happening more and more, what I don’t understand is if I click the unlock button on the app when it’s trying to wake up it unlocks but the app is still trying to wake up. Same with the key fob if u unlock the door the app will show its now unlocked but the app is still trying to wake up ...

If you're within Bluetooth range and have phone key setup, the "door" unlock (actually door, trunk, and frunk) operations are handled directly through the Bluetooth communication with the car. If your Phone Key is flagged as Connected, you have a direct Bluetooth connection for these activities to happen over. Other functions like climate control, flashing the headlights, honking the horn, starting the car, charging options are handled through the wi-fi/cellular connection of your phone and car and travel over the Internet. The Bluetooth connection is always live, but the Internet connection goes to sleep when the car does and needs to be "reactivated". This is why you can have some functions live and others disabled. In general, you have to be pretty close to use the phone key (Bluetooth) connection.

I've found when my app can't communicate with the car for turning on the climate control, I can sometimes kickstart it by unlocking the doors if I'm close enough for that to work. At home, I'll just unlock the car and leave it unlocked in the garage. At work, the car is parked 100-150' from my cube. If I walk to the nearby window getting rid of all the obstructions between me and the car, the phone key can generally connect to the car. From here, I unlock and then relic the car. Usually within 5 seconds, the app will make its connection and I can then activate the climate control to pre-heat or pre-cool the car. Unlocking the doors will generally wait it out of its deep sleep and let the app connect. Even with unlocking the doors, it might take a minute to connect. That seems to happen if the center display crashes and needs to reboot.

If you're within Bluetooth range and have phone key setup, the "door" unlock (actually door, trunk, and frunk) operations are handled directly through the Bluetooth communication with the car. If your Phone Key is flagged as Connected, you have a direct Bluetooth connection for these activities to happen over. Other functions like climate control, flashing the headlights, honking the horn, starting the car, charging options are handled through the wi-fi/cellular connection of your phone and car and travel over the Internet. The Bluetooth connection is always live, but the Internet connection goes to sleep when the car does and needs to be "reactivated". This is why you can have some functions live and others disabled. In general, you have to be pretty close to use the phone key (Bluetooth) connection.

I've found when my app can't communicate with the car for turning on the climate control, I can sometimes kickstart it by unlocking the doors if I'm close enough for that to work. At home, I'll just unlock the car and leave it unlocked in the garage. At work, the car is parked 100-150' from my cube. If I walk to the nearby window getting rid of all the obstructions between me and the car, the phone key can generally connect to the car. From here, I unlock and then relic the car. Usually within 5 seconds, the app will make its connection and I can then activate the climate control to pre-heat or pre-cool the car. Unlocking the doors will generally wait it out of its deep sleep and let the app connect. Even with unlocking the doors, it might take a minute to connect. That seems to happen if the center display crashes and needs to reboot.

Cool great tip, thank you for posting

Instead of making a new thread I'm going to revive this one...

My new Model 3 that I got in late September has been terrible in waking up. In fact, in the last two weeks I have not been able to wake it up via app at all. Before that, the last time I was able to access it via the app, I tried to turn on the climate control and it failed (which apparently is a common issue?).

Even after the latest update (I just updated two hours ago), after about one or two hours it goes into deep sleep and I can't get it to wake up. Interestingly, when I get into the car it does sometimes immediately have LTE connection. Sometimes, however, also that takes a few minutes to connect.

Is this normal? And who should I get in touch with to get it fixed?