Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Regen goes to full stop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I test drove a p100d on Friday to get a feel for what a 3 would be like (since they don't have test drives yet). One thing i found very surprising was the Regen doesn't take you to a full stop.

On my wife's bolt, when you are in low or when you use the paddle Regen it will take you to a full stop and you literally never have to move your foot off the brake unless you have to panick stop.

I would have assumed having creep off and Regen to max would bring the tesla to a stop but it didn't. I'm assuming the 3 also performs this way? If so, that's one area where I could say I prefer the bolt... The strength of regen is also much higher on the bolt and possibky even on my volt I think.

I don't expect many more examples like that, but this is already one improvement I would like to see on the model 3.

all Teslas behave the same way.
No extra paddles that control ONLY regen like the bolt, in Tesla cars regen is just on the accelerator pedal.
All braking is on the brake pedal.
Why other EV companies insist on trying to come up with new and crazy ways to stop the car is beyond me.

No extra paddles that control ONLY regen like the bolt, in Tesla cars regen is just on the accelerator pedal.
Why other EV companies insist on trying to come up with new and crazy ways to stop the car is beyond me.

Respectfully, this isn't a new and crazy way...it just adds to the convenience if 1 pedal driving to actually make the experience 1 pedal. I have had a 2014 and 2017 volt and neither took the car to a stop and I always wished they did. So when my wife's bolt did, I was happily surprised.

Alas, GM will never do an OTA update to let the Volt do this, but I hoped the bolt had copied tesla since a few owners I spoke to at EV meetups talked about the one pedal driving in a tesla with creep off...so I miss interpreted what they meant by this.

Once you've driven never having to move your foot you'll understand. Admittedly, it's a minor thing, but also a definite improvement. I realize Regen can't fully operate to a full stop due to the physics and that friction brakes are being applied in the bolt, but since the model 3 has the ability to apply emergency braking and EAP can apply them, it's just a software update that would enable it.

At least make it an option like turning creep on/off. That way if people don't like it, they don't have to use it.

Just a little read for everyone: Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica

"So, the first puzzle piece in the theory that Tesla has put a switched reluctance motor in the Model 3 is the magnets. We know they’re in there, and now we know that one of the latest breakthroughs in motor design is the inclusion of rare-earths in the stator of the reluctance machine. This is huge. It has brought the reluctance machine out of mothballs!

Another clue that the Model 3 motor is not using those rare-earths in a conventional permanent-magnet motor design is that the car does not do regen all the way down to 0 miles per hour. For example, the Bolt has a conventional 3-phase PM motor which allows it to do regen to 0 MPH. I saw this for myself last year when I test drove a Bolt — you can stop without applying the brakes. We’re calling this puzzle piece #2."

Another clue that the Model 3 motor is not using those rare-earths in a conventional permanent-magnet motor design is that the car does not do regen all the way down to 0 miles per hour.

Not sure why they think this means something. The 3 has reverse, therefore it can regen (or at least electronically brake) down to zero.
Design choice vs design limitation.

S/X with AC induction motors can do this also, but without a quadriture speed sensor, it can't tell if the car is slowly going forward or slowly going backward. 3, with the PMSR setup, likely has full rotor position data and can detect direction, but may be set up to match the operation of S/X...

In the Bolt, L mode regen is aggressive and will take the vehicle to a complete stop. The paddle in L mode will provide even more aggressive regen...I use it before I need step on the brakes for when I need to more aggressively stop. One doesn't need to use the paddle in the Bolt to regen to a complete stop.

As with so many options, it is not a technical limitation; rather, a choice made by the designers. In fact, the Model 3 will come to a complete stop when using cruise control or Autopilot. The BMW Active-E had heavy regen and also would stop itself. The LEAF never came close. But the LEAF had regen control on the brake pedal. And so on.

Last edited:
As with so many options, it is not a technical limitation; rather, a choice made by the designers. In fact, the Model 3 will come to a complete stop when using cruise control or Autopilot. The BMW Active-E had heavy regen and also would stop itself. The LEAF never came close. But the LEAF had regen control on the brake pedal. And so on.

That's not true. It depends on the grade you're stopping on. If you've a 1.5% grade you'll never come to a stop, you'll roll downhill at 2km/hr or something.

I don't understand the tech of how it works, all I know is that using 1 pedal driving is amazing. I miss it. Had it in my i3 and the new leaf does it too. Hard to go back to using that second pedal once you try it. I just wish it was a third option for Teslas.

Respectfully, this isn't a new and crazy way...it just adds to the convenience if 1 pedal driving to actually make the experience 1 pedal. I have had a 2014 and 2017 volt and neither took the car to a stop and I always wished they did. So when my wife's bolt did, I was happily surprised.

Alas, GM will never do an OTA update to let the Volt do this, but I hoped the bolt had copied tesla since a few owners I spoke to at EV meetups talked about the one pedal driving in a tesla with creep off...so I miss interpreted what they meant by this.

Once you've driven never having to move your foot you'll understand. Admittedly, it's a minor thing, but also a definite improvement. I realize Regen can't fully operate to a full stop due to the physics and that friction brakes are being applied in the bolt, but since the model 3 has the ability to apply emergency braking and EAP can apply them, it's just a software update that would enable it.

At least make it an option like turning creep on/off. That way if people don't like it, they don't have to use it.

One panel driving is illegal. That’s why New leaf and Bolt still have two panels

On my wife's bolt, when you are in low or when you use the paddle Regen it will take you to a full stop and you literally never have to move your foot off the brake unless you have to panick stop.
On the Bolt, are friction brakes included in the mix of "slow down the vehicle to zero" when lifting from the accelerator pedal? (For Nissan's E-pedal, apparently friction brakes are used to accomplish this behavior.)

Why other EV companies insist on trying to come up with new and crazy ways to "MAKE A" car is beyond me.

Edited for effect. New and crazy used to easily describes Tesla. Why put down other companies for trying something new? Having driven a Volt for 7 years prior to my Model 3, I prefer the instant choice of regen or coast. Much more efficient if you want to put in the effort. If you don't just put the car in low and drive 1 pedal. Choice is good. I think that Honda has it best with a regen amount you can dial in with a thumb wheel on the steering wheel.

On the Bolt, are friction brakes included in the mix of "slow down the vehicle to zero" when lifting from the accelerator pedal? (For Nissan's E-pedal, apparently friction brakes are used to accomplish this behavior.)
This is true on the i3. Even when the battery is full and there is no regen available, the friction brakes will kick in to mirror the same feeling as standard regen. You never got that coasting 'surprise' you get when you first take your foot off the accelerator with a full battery. I was surprised Tesla did not have a similar function to offer.

I had assumed the bolt did apply friction brakes for the last slowdown from ~ 5km/h to stopped, but an earlier post in this thread indicates that the motor used in the bolt allows for regen down to a full stop....so I'm not exactly sure, but it feels very smooth and natural in the bolt.